Sunday 5 September 2021

NEW!! Season Previews - 9. Chonburi FC: 2021

Here's my season preview.


What are your expectations for the season ahead?
Inspired by the cup run at the end of last season, and one or two good signings (on paper, at least), I'm cautiously optimistic. Fans of other clubs also seem to think we'll do well so that must count for something. Surely? And at least it can't be as bad as last year!


How do you think the lack of a regular pre season will affect our early performances?
The players returned to training a while ago so hopefully the time on the practice pitch has been wisely spent. Obviously there's no substitute for friendlies to get everyone match fit, but all the other clubs are pretty much in the same boat so we shouldn't really be at a disadvantage. We'll see on opening day when we face the reigning champions and a side who have already played a number of competitive games.


What are your thoughts on the plan for the way the season will start?
The league management and clubs have done a great job to get everything underway on schedule. Many people doubted it could be done, but as soon as I saw the news that they were all working together to make it happen, I was confident that the season would start on time. There was too much to lose if it didn't. I think everyone would prefer things to be "normal", but this will do for me...for now!


How long do you think it will be before things can return to "normal"?
I have absolutely no idea! There are so many mixed messages coming out regarding vaccines and restrictions etc, that I don't think anyone can safely predict anything right now. However, I really hope that it won't be long.


What are your thoughts on our opening four fixtures?
It's an extremely tough start, but we have to play these sides at some point so now is as good a time as any. Realistically, anything more than four points from these four fixtures will be considered a success. But, if we beat BG on Sunday, anything less than 12 will be seen as a failure.
 

Which home games are you most looking forward to?
The next one I'm able to get to. I can't wait to return to Chonburi Stadium. I miss the place so much.


And which away games are you most looking forward to? 
The next one I'm able to get to. I miss following the team away. I've had so many great trips over the years.


How do you plan to follow the matches you're not allowed to attend?
On Twitter and via illegal streams - if I can find them.*

*Any help would be much appreciated


What do you make of our new signings?
I'm pleased with them. They look like some of the best business the club has done in years. I've heard good reports too and can't wait to see them in action. However, for my mind, we still need a top quality goalkeeper. Surely there must be one out there who would come?


And what about the players we've let go?
I was disappointed to see Niran leave, but not really too concerned about the others. I was particularly pleased to get rid of that boxer fella. Anyone who puts his own interests above the those of the club - especially for such a ridiculous event - doesn't deserve to wear the shirt. And our management weren't entirely blameless in that whole circus. Silly boys.


Which players will have the most impact this season?
If he stays fit, I think Junior Eldstal could really come into his own this season and make a huge impact. Getting him to stay was a huge boost. Our strike force of Murillo and Yoo Byung-Soo could prove to be a handful for most defences too. I'm looking forward to seeing them play together.


If you could re-sign one of our former players, at the peak of his powers, who would it be?
The man. The myth. The legend...Thiago Cunha. I don't really need to add any more. So I'll leave it at that.


If you could give Sasom one piece of advice, what would it be?
Always, always, always listen to the Main Stand Summer Winers. We clearly know far more than you do and are happy to let you take the credit for our ideas when things go right. During the first few matches when we won't be there, just think to yourself, "what would the Summer Winers do?" and do it. You won't regret it.


What do you think of our new kits?
They're OK. Nothing special. But if you're going for  chevrons you should go all out Princes Park FC and not that token effort we've made. Either way, I'd prefer two tone blue stripes. Incidentally, I did message the club shop to try and order one. The following exchange took place:

Me: Hi. I'd like to buy the new shirt. Is it available in XXXL and do you ship to the UK? Thank you

Chonburi FC Online Store: We don’t have the size

Me: Do you have XXL?

Chonburi FC Online Store: SOLD OUT

Me: When will you be getting more stock?

Chonburi FC Online Store: They are all sold out.

Me: When will you be getting more in?

Chonburi FC Online Store: Sorry this item is out of stock.

Me: Will you be getting any more in?

Chonburi FC Online Store: No

Me: Ok. Thank you. However, that seems a strange decision considering the demand.


What song would you choose for our run out music on match days?
As the club has constantly ignored my suggestions for 'Fury of Chonburi' by The Libertines, I think it's time for a change of approach. How about the theme from 'Jaws'? Imagine the team coming out with the pitch in total darkness and that tune playing. It would certainly create an atmosphere of menace and hopefully put the fear of god into our oppnents. Failing that, 'Send in the Clowns' might be more appropriate.


Who are your favourites to win the league?
It's going to be tight, but I think the champions will be either Buriram Utd or BG Pathum Utd. The latter might be hampered by their AFC CL exploits - and defeat on Sunday - but they still look to be slight favourites to retain their title.


Who else do you think can challenge?
Given the amount of money they've thrown around and the quality of players in their squad, Port should be in the mix. However, I don't think they have the legs to go the distance. Maybe if Chiang Rai Utd and Muang Tong Utd can put together a decent run, one of those can make things interesting until the business end of the season.


Who is going down?
Khon Kaen Utd, Chiang Mai Utd and Prachuap. All three will be mathematically down by Christmas.


Which team would you most like us to beat this season?
BG on Sunday. A win against the reigning champions in our opening match would be such a boost and a great way to start the campaign. And...(deep breath)...I think we can do it.


Is there anything else you'd like to add?
This is potentially the most entertaining team we've had for a few years and we could actually win something this year. It won't be the league, but there's no reason - with a kind draw in each round - that we can't go one better than last season and lift the FA Cup.*

*I haven't been drinking and this blog has not been hacked. I'm genuinely feeling positive. I wonder how long it will last?



No comments:

Post a Comment