Thursday 21 April 2022

New!! Interview With Charlie Clough: 2022

Here's my exclusive interview with Nakorn Ratchasima's English centre half, Charlie Clough.


Please can you tell us a bit about your background
I'm originally from Taunton in England. Cider country. I played for Bristol Rovers youth team and made my first team debut just before my seventeenth birthday. I spent five years at Rovers before dropping down to play non league at Dorchester Town. At this point I was also earning a living as a scaffolder. It was hard work, but taught me a lot and helped me to mature. I then got the opportunity to sign for Sutton Utd, where I was club captain, before moving to Forest Green Rovers. I had a great time there and achieved a boyhood dream by playing at Wembley in the play off final against Grimsby. My next stop was at Barnet. Sadly, I didn't really enjoy my stint at Underhill so when the chance presented itself to return to Sutton, I didn't hesitate in re-signing.


How did the move to Brunei and DPMM come about?
I received a call from my former boss at Forest Green, Adrian Pennock. He was coaching there and asked me if I fancied going over for a trial. So once I got permission from my manager, I made all the arrangements to fly over. It was a bit hectic. I played a league game for Sutton on the Saturday, flew out the next day, played two trial matches on Tuesday and Wednesday, then returned home for another league fixture on the following Saturday. Thankfully, I did enough to impress so signed for DPMM shortly after.


How was your time at DPMM and how did you get the oportunity to sign for Nakhon Ratchasima?
My time at DPMM was very successful. We won the S League title in my first season and I was happy with my contribution to the team. Sadly when the Covid-19 pandemic started, the new campaign was suspended so we didn't get the chance to build on these foundations. Luckily for me, I got an offer from The Swatcat so I took it. 


What are your impressions of the club?
I have been very impressed and everyone has made me very welcome. There is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes. We now have Chris Kinnear working on recruitment and that has helped enormously. He was responsible for bringing in Kevin Blackwell, which has seen an upturn in the team's fortunes. It is a club with enormous potential and I'm very happy here.


What are your impressions of the fans?
The fans are great. It's a shame I haven't had the opportunity to play in front of large crowds yet, but the club is working very hard to attract supporters back to the stadium. I'm looking forward to running out in front of 20,000. I feel we've all been missing out on that big crowd experience.


And the city?
I like the city. It's a big place, but a lot quieter than Bangkok and there aren't the disractions here that there are in the capital. Which certainly helps me when it comes to focussing my attention on football.


What are your overall impressions of Thailand?
Before moving here I had been to Thailand many times on holiday so I knew a lot about the country and the culture.  I love the place and the people. I feel at home here.


How do you feel the team has performed this season?
We are disappointed with our league position, but I'm confident that we will stay up. Since Kevin Blackwell has come in, the team has been a lot better organised. It has been good to see how the players - especially the local ones - have responded to his training methods. He works us hard, but this has certainly paid off in terms of fitness. Before his arrival we tended to flag in the last twenty minutes of games, but now we keep going right until the end. Kevin has also impressed on us the importance of set pieces and this is something we have worked hard on.


What changes have you had to make to the way you play in order to adjust to the Thai league?
I believe that I am able to read the game well. This has certainly helped, as I don't have to go in for tackles that could get me in trouble. However, I am extra cautious when making challenges in our box! I did get a red card earlier in the season, which I felt was a bit harsh. Luckily the review panel agreed with me and my initial three match ban was reduced to one game.


What are your impressions of the Thai league?
I have been very impressed. It's the most professional league in the region and this is one of the reasons why I wanted to play in it. There are still one or two minor annoyances - like moving the FA Cup semi final dates at such short notice - but overall, it is extremely well run. The media coverage is exceptional. And the live match day TV coverage is fantastic. They have so many cameras at the games they are able to get right in amongst the action. It's better than a lot of the coverage you get in England.


Which teams have impressed you?
BG have impressed me the most. They are a very good side. The English lads at our club have said they are the equivalent of a top League One or Championship side. Which is quite a compliment. I also have to mention Buriram Utd. They are a very strong team. As you would expect from the champions. Both these clubs are big spenders, but it is worth it for the quality they have in their squads.


What are your expectations for Saturday's match?
We know Chonburi are a good side and will be difficult to beat. We are clearly aware of Dennis Murillo and Gidi Kanyuk - both ex-Swatcat. Dennis in particular is still loved in Korat and everybody here speaks very highly of him. We are also aware that Kritsada will be missing. Which is good news for us. Overall, I would say we are quietly confident and will certainly adopt a positive approach. We need a win to ensure our safety and don't want everything hanging on the last match - we don't want to be relying on Buriram Utd doing us a favour by beating Suphanburi. We will be travelling down tomorrow and staying overnight in the ******* Hotel in SriRacha (I tell Charlie that this is five minutes away from my house and threaten to go down and bang a big drum outside his room all night. However, he informs me that he's a heavy sleeper and this won't disturb him. Still, it's worth a try - ed).


Beyond Saturday, what are your hopes for the rest of the season?
To stay up and try to win the FA Cup.


And as for you, what are your personal long term ambitions?
I would love to stay here and finish my playing career in Thailand. Hopefully, this is still a long way off, but I can't think of anywhere better to see out my days. I'm not too keen on returning to England. Beyond that, I would relish the chance to become a coach. Again, hopefully in Thailand. I'm going to make a big effort to learn the language in order to help me achieve this.


Is there anything else you'd like to add?
I do enjoy the good natured abuse I've been getting from English opposition fans at matches. I faced a constant tirade from a couple at Police Tero the other week and we had a good laugh about it on Twitter after the match. And as long as it stays within the limits of what is acceptable, I find it spurs me on. (At this point, I reassure Charlie he won't be getting any stick from me on Saturday. My mate Tim on the other hand...)


With thanks to Russ and Charlie




No comments:

Post a Comment