Saturday 6 May 2023

Bangkok Utd 2-1 Chonburi (6/5/18) - Match Report: 2018

TPL
Bangkok Utd 2-1 Chonburi
Thammasat Stadium
Attendance: 3,534
Sunday 6th May, 2018


Match report
I nearly didn’t make it to this match. I had been feeling unwell since Saturday morning and by the time Sunday afternoon came around, I could feel myself slipping into the abyss. However, a sense of duty and the fact that it’s only a couple of hours drive away, saw me on the road heading north to Thammasat Stadium, a little after 4:00pm.
 
Even on the journey there were occasions when I felt like turning back - especially at the Bang Na toll, where absolute confusion reigned, with cars being (mis)directed into different lanes, seemingly at the will of a couple of incompetent traffic cops. But still I soldiered on, the numerous drugs I’d taken probably affecting my judgement and ability to make any rational decisions. However, I eventually arrived, somewhat later than planned, at the home of Bangkok United.
 
After I’d found a parking space without any trouble whatsoever, I made an executive decision and decided to treat myself for my efforts - and save fifty baht - by sitting in the main stand. After merrily making my way to the gate - thrillingly passing the team buses and “Player Entrance” on the way - I was told that I needed to go all the way to the other side of the ground, and the furthest point from where I was now, to buy a ticket. A ridiculous set up.
 
Still, I trudged wearily, and dutifully, to the ticket office, dodging puddles and telling myself I’d soon by relaxing in the palatial splendour of section W5. Even the name promised luxury. And, sure enough, ten minutes later, I was reclining my seat, with a glossy match day programme, surveying all before me, and above me. I’d definitely done the right thing and I’d certainly be thankful for that roof if we got a late evening downpour.
 
In spite of my awe, this wasn’t the first time I’d been in this section. I sat here a couple of times when Police Utd used this venue. I’d remembered it as being a pleasant enough experience then (apart from what was happening on the pitch!) and had afforded a decent view. Thankfully, my memory hadn’t let me down and I revelled in my surroundings.
 
The first thing I appreciated was the leg room in front of the seats. It was more than ample. The arm rests on the chair made it a bit of squeeze for a “larger gentleman” like myself, but the space in front of me more than made up for this. The fact that it was sparsely populated also helped; I had lots of space to spread out. I can imagine that it would be a different story were it to be packed, but, let’s face it, that’s never going to happen!
 
I was already congratulating myself on my choice to come in here, when I recalled something else from my previous visits. Police United had people coming round the stand selling food and drink - just like you see in those American movies when the characters go to a baseball game. I hurriedly looked for them, but it was all in vain. Gosh, darn it!
 
I did notice however, that the majority of my fellow main stand dwellers had refreshments so I decided to take it upon myself and go in search. I didn’t have to look very far. For there, on the concourse, less than fifty yards from my seat, was a shop selling snacks. I placed my order, some luk chin and a cup of warm water  - my throat was killing me! - and then perused the club shop next door. What a good idea. Food, drink and souvenirs all easily accessible inside the ground and sold by helpful (he gave me warm water!), friendly staff. Are you paying attention, Chonburi senior management? No, of course you’re not. You never do. All is rosy in your little world, isn’t it!
 
I returned to my place with my goodies and enjoyed them at my leisure, as I watched the first half. This was the life. And it was costing me less than I pay at home and less than my fellow Chonburi fans way, way, way over to my right. I was starting to feel a little bit better.
 
At half time, I didn’t need to rush outside to gobble down some food and race to finish my beer to get back inside in time for kick off, as I do at every home game. I stayed where I was, relaxing and rejoicing in the fact that I was being treated like a grown up. Something that is not always the case at our place.
 
The second half produced some goals (Three, in fact. Two for them and one for us) and some of the regular frustrations; Why don’t we shoot more? Why can’t Chanin find a blue shirted player with his clearances? Why do we conceded so many goals from set pieces? And what do we do in training all week?
 
It had been a fairly entertaining encounter, and, in spite of my moans, I felt we deserved something out of it. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be and I exited my new favourite stand with mixed feelings. It had been an enjoyable experience and a fine place from which to watch a sporting event, but, ultimately, we’d left with nothing and slipped down the table.

Now, if only I could rid myself of this sore throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment