Saturday 6 May 2023

New! Interview With The Blogger (Port): 2023

Port fan, Jim sent me some questions ahead of tomorrow's fixture. Here are my replies: 


Adul Lahsoh has come in and seemingly stopped the second half of the season slump at Chonburi. Is he the man for the job longer term?
I'm really pleased for Adul (or Ted, as I humorously now call him) and the fact that he's turned around our season. It's good to have a club legend back at the helm. The fact he's made a great start is a bonus. However, I don't think he's the man for the job long term. If the rumours I'm hearing are true, we're going to have a much lower wage/spending budget next season. Therefore, I think we'll need someone with a bit more experience to come in, maybe with Adul as his assistant. Although, the aforementioned penny pinching could see him get the role as a cost cutting exercise.


This weekend you'll face another former Chonburi midfielder in Worachit Kanitsribampen. If you could only have one of the two turn out for you again which would it be?
Worachit burst onto the scene as an exciting young prospect and showed a lot potential. However, after the initial excitement, he went off the boil and the majority of his time at Chonburi was a major disappointment. Therefore, it's ironic that we sold him just as he was starting to play really well again and show us what he could do. He's a big miss. On the other hand, Adul performed consistently, and impressively, over a number of years and was part of a very successful team. So, it's Adul for me. No contest. Peak Adul would be an asset in any side. 


Worachit has a knack for scoring some big goals, including two last weekend as Port slayed the beast known as Buriram, in its lair. If he scores against you on Sunday where do you stand on the don't celebrate goals against former clubs or treat it like any other game and go wild, debate? 
I don't have a problem with it. Players should celebrate when they score. I know they have bonds with previous teams and fans, but their first thought should be with the team and the supporters of their current club. I remember ex-Oldham centre forward/centre half, Ian Marshall returning to Boundary Park with Ipswich and scoring a couple. He celebrated like mad in front of the Oldham fans, but he is still considered a legend at the club. That's the way it should be


Players having turned out for both Port and Chonburi seems quite a common occurrence. Who are your favourite and least favourite to have done so? And is there anyone who springs to mind as a Port hero and Chonburi dud?
Thiago Cunha. I know he wasn't a great success at your place, but he's an absolute hero at Chonburi. He could be annoying at times, and some of his antics were frustrating, but he was one of the most talented footballers we've ever had at the club. And he did the job he was paid to do; entertain and score goals. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. No question
 
Other than Madam Pang (insert winky thing!), I'm not really sure who's considered a hero at Port, so I can't really answer that question. But, we've had plenty of duds over the years so surely there must be one amongst that bunch who did well at your place. I'll have to do a bit of research to find out who. Can I get back to you on that one?


Most people will be aware that there's a strong friendship between the two fanbases, what's your favourite thing about Port?
My favourite thing about Port is probably some of the kits you've had over the years. When they're done properly, those orange and blue stripes look lovely, though I'm not so sure about the current one. This season's white away with the flashes is quite attractive. And your club shop is where I first bumped into Marco (before our match in 2009). He'll kill me for this, but he's become a really good friend over the years, even though geography dictates that we rarely get the chance to meet in person these days.


And your least?
When Chonburi first came into the Premier League, I used to do a 'stretcher count' at every game; a tally of how many times players were carried off the field only to jump straight back up again once they reached the touchline. I remember Port Authority being one of the very worst offenders. I think they hit double figures in one match. Thankfully, having players carried off to waste time doesn't happen as much anymore. You will have to believe me when I say, the injury feigning and time wasting is nowhere near as bad as it was back then. But we still have a long way to go.


Chonburi were responsible for the only game l can recall being pleased Port lost. As your 2017 2-1 victory in Bangkok ended what l thought was a grim spell of management by Zico (another man with links to both clubs). Have you ever been pleased to see your team beaten?
No. Never. And I don't think I ever will. I'd much rather my team win than see a rival team lose. I want Chonburi to win every game they play and always will do.



A win for Port on Sunday would be a great help in getting us third spot and an ACL place(it could even seal it). As it would also deny Muangthong those things and our clubs are besties, don't suppose you fancy helping? But seriously what are your expectations for the match? And a score prediction?
Port are playing well and they've got the momentum. They are also going hard for that third place spot. Meanwhile, in spite of Adul coming in and turning things around - to an extent - we are still limping towards the end of the season. We have key players away with the SEA Games squad (which I'm not happy about) and, as I mentioned earlier, we'll be losing quite a few when this campaign finishes; I think some of them are probably already "on the plane" or "the beach". Therefore, my expectations are low. As for a score prediction, I think we'll lose 3-0. To be honest, it could even be worse. But I'd like to see us give you a game. 


Finally, a music question. Please can you name a song to sum up Adul era Chonburi, Chonburi's season and this weekend's fixture.
Adul era Chonburi: '100%' - Sonic Youth

Chonburi's season: 'Something's Gone Wrong Again' - Buzzcocks

This weekend's fixture: 'Bangkok' c/w 'Fury of Chonburi' - The Libertines

No comments:

Post a Comment