Thursday 13 October 2022

New! Pre Match Interview With The Blogger (Bangkok Utd): 2022

Bangkok Utd fan, Svein sent me some questions ahead of our meeting on Saturday. Here are my replies.



1: Hi, Dale. Are you looking forward to see one of the big boys visiting Chonburi on Saturday? 
Very much so. This is a huge match for both clubs. A win for us and a bit of a gap will open up between the top two and everyone else. Plus it will be a big psychological blow in our favour. A defeat for the Shark will dent our confidence and give Bangkok Utd a boost. It should be a cracking game with a fantastic atmosphere.

2: Your team has done well so far this season. How happy are you?
I'm delighted. After all, we are top of the league. During pre season there were a few signs that we looked good going forward, but I was worried about our defence. However, apart from a mad quarter of an hour against Buriram Utd, I can't find fault in anything we've done so far. This is an exciting side to watch and I'm loving every minute of it - apart from the aforementioned fifteen against the team from the north-east! Long may it continue.

3: Do you think Chonburi can stay in the title race until the end of the season?
Ah, the big question. I was going to say that I don't want to be drawn into this debate, as any predications or claims one makes this early in the campaign always come back to bite you on the bum. But, what the heck! Yes. We'll win the league this year!

4: Which Chonburi players have impressed you the most this season?
They all have. There's clearly a strong team (squad) spirit and every one of them has played a part in our fantastic start to the campaign. If I have to single out individuals, Danilo, Suksan (who is sadly injured and out for a few months), Kritsada and Channarong have been outstanding. In fact they've been so impressive that even the Thai football experts have started to take notice.

5:  Are you happy with what former Bangkok United coach Sasom Pobprasert has done in his time at Chonburi?
Yes. Absolutely. It took me a while to warm to him, but results on the pitch this year speak for themselves. He's doing a great job. So much so that there appears to be a growing feeling that he should be appointed as the national team head coach. But why would he want to leave Chonburi now? Also, I'd like to add few words of praise for "general manager" Sasit Singtothong. Someone else who has won me over. He always comes across very well and has certainly improved the club's media output. These two make quite a formidable pair and deserve a lot of credit for what we have achieved.

6: What do you expect from the game against Bangkok United?
I think it will be an entertaining game. There's already a lot riding on the result of this one and I'm sure both teams will want to stake their claim as genuine title contenders. Therefore, I'm expecting a blood and thunder encounter. And, if previous meetings are anything to go by, there will be goals! That said, I'd happily take a scrappy 1-0 win.

7: Any Bangkok United-players you worry can ruin your day?
There is undoubted quality throughout the team so, if they are on form, any of the Bangkok Utd players can ruin our day. I only hope they are overawed by the big occasion and freeze. It's a long shot, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

8: What`s your stadium`s capacity, and will this get close to a full house?
The official capacity is 8,680. As much as I'd like to see it full on Saturday, I think it will fall a fair way short. Traditionally, Bangkok Utd don't bring many fans to this fixture so it will be up to the locals to turn up in their numbers. Therefore, anything above 5,000 will be considered a good crowd. I can only hope that if we can maintain our good performances, the attendances will rise accordingly. This team should be playing in front of a packed stadium every home game.

9: Do you have any good or bad memories from previous games between the two teams?
Plenty of both!
Bad: The 7-2 thrashing at Thammasat and 1-5 reverse at home in the 2017 season are particularly painful memories.
Good: The 5-1 win in our first ever meeting and, of course, last season's League Cup quarter final victory. The latter came at a time when we needed a good result.

10: Anything you'd like to add?
I really wish I could be there on Saturday (and every other weekend!). But I will be receiving regular live updates from my mate, Tim. It's like having my own personal radio station reporter at the ground. They're always informative and laced with liberal dashings of humour. He's even started to include star guests. I really wish everyone could hear his reports. They are that good!



No comments:

Post a Comment