Wednesday 28 December 2022

New! First Leg Reviews - 2. Ratchaburi (Neal Oliver): 2022

Ratchaburi fan, Neal Oliver, sums up his club's first leg performance and looks forward to the rest of the season.


Q - Overall, how satisfied are you with your team's performance over the first half of the season?
 
A.  Ratchaburi Football Club have well surpassed my greatest expectations so far this season and have been superb in defence.  We have the best shot stopper in Thailand, and our defenders are amazing.   8 clean sheets, and only one team has managed more than one goal past us all season, and even that only happened in extra time.

I always knew Rafael Da Cunha Jansen was the best defender in Thailand, but when he teamed up with Park Jun-heong, the partnership became virtually unbeatable.  Add the speed of Hein Phyo Win and the level headedness of Jirawat Thongsaengphrao, our defence is complete.  Amazingly, we have such strength in defence, the likes of Pawee Tanthatemee, who would command a place in most T1 teams is currently a bench warmer.


Q - What has been the highlight of your season so far? 
A – Thrashing Prachuap 5 – 1 at the Sam Ao Stadium.  The Hua Hin Dragons were formed from devoted Hua Hin City Fans.  What Prachuap did to Hua Hin City in 2014 will always remain deep in our hearts.  It was such a pleasing result.


Q - And the low point? 
A – Losing to Sukhothai.  I’d watched Sukhothai play several times early in the season, and at that point, in my mind it was just a matter of which other 2 teams would be relegated with them.  To lose to Sukhothai was simply unthinkable.  I was stunned for a couple of days.


Q - Apart from your own, which is the best team you've seen so far this season? 
I had my first visit to the Chang Arena this season, and I was so impressed by our hosts.  It was a fantastic experience.  The home support was like nothing I had seen before.  The way the home fans were singing, and especially dancing throughout the match was amazing, and Buriram Utd were playing great football to match.  They were very good.  The cynic inside me says it was no accident when they reduced our defensive duo by 50% when Park Jun-heong was stepped upon early in the first half, but such is the strength of our defence, we simply brought Pawee Tanthatemee on to replace him.  That aside, Buriram were easily the best overall footballing unit I’ve seen in T1 this season.  Their top position is deserved.


Q – And the worst? 
I’m answering this based on what I’ve seen versus Ratchaburi i.e. I’ve already mentioned my early thoughts on Sukhothai.  I don’t think any team has played badly against us.  Even the 5-1 victory at Sam Ao Stadium flattered us.  The team I will single out though is Muangthong.  When they played us, they were nowhere near as good as they used to be.


Q - What are your hopes for the rest of the season for 
a) your club? 
A – I’ve said it before, I am probably Ratchaburi’s biggest pessimist.  The thing we have lacked all season is a really good forward player to support Vanderley Dias Marinho.  27 goals in leg 1 (5 against Prachuap and 4 against a non-league side) speaks for itself.  The only guy, who was anything like the support player we need was Alvin Fortes.  He has been offloaded to Nongbua on loan.  However, we’ve recruited a few players, so hopefully we have a decent replacement amongst them, who will give the support we need.  However, I’m always dubious when sides change critical players mid-term.

b) the league in general? 
A – Hopefully, Ratchaburi should be pretty safe, but I’ve been following some of the signings by the struggling clubs, and I’ve been very impressed.  LOL – it seems every other signing I see has been from BG.  I think BG will start Leg 2 with just the groundsman.  I think we will see some interesting Leg 2 battles between the bottom 8 teams.  Any one of them could go.


Q - Please sum up your season so far with song lyrics or by song title 
A – For a non-musical type, this has to be the hardest question you have ever asked me, Dale.  I hope this is OK:
I want to be on top
Forever on the up and damn the competition
I never play it fair
I never turn a hair, just like the politicians
I wrap my conscience up
I want to win that cup and get my money, baby
But back in the dressing room
The other side is weeping


Q – Anything else you’d like to add?
A – We have a proper coach this season, and Coach Xavi is making a huge difference.  He has the team working very well as a footballing unit.  He has a regular starting line-up, and has been able to field a consistent side each week.  I hope the mid-term changes have all had his blessing.  If they have, brilliant.  This is probably the best continuity I’ve felt at Ratchaburi in the last 5 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment