Thursday 1 December 2022

New! My Thai Football Diary - November, 2022


Wednesday 2nd November
FA Cup R1: Nakhon Pathom Utd 2-1 Chonburi
Landed in Bangkok at 18:30hrs. Got through Customs and Immigration in no time. After replacing my UK SIM card with my Thai one, the first thing I did was check the FA Cup score. Wish I hadn't bothered. Chonburi lost 2-1 at Nakhon Pathom Utd. A great start to my trip! Oh well, there's always the League Cup.


Saturday 5th November
TPL: Chiang Rai Utd 1-1 Chonburi
Invited my mates, Tim, Claire and Osman round to watch the match on TV. There's no real substitute for being at the game, but sitting at home with drinks, snacks and a group of good friends comes close. We were all disappointed with the result, especially after Chonburi had a perfectly good "winning goal" ruled out by VAR late on. Afterwards we went for pizza at a local SriRacha restaurant to cheer ourselves up. Came home and wrote my match report.


Thursday 10th November
Chonburi Stadium
My first visit to Chonburi Stadium since May. It was good to be back. I strolled around inside, took a few photos and breathed in the atmosphere. It was lovely to be home. Popped into the club shop. What a disappointment. The shelves were almost bare. The girl behind the counter was pretty surly too. My wife bought a set of stickers and a key ring. I left empty handed.


Sunday 13th November
TPL: Chonburi 4-0 Lampang
My first match at Chonburi Stadium since I saw us lose 1-2 against Nakhon Ratchasima in April. I was hoping for better things today. Spent the early part of the day pottering around Ang Sila with Nui and Val and then made our way to the ground. Met most of the usual suspects in the usual place and had a good old catch up. Visited the club shop. This time the shelves were full - but not with anything that would fit me (!!). I purchased a "Fan Cheer" shirt (XXL) - which I'll probably never wear - and vowed to go on a diet. The staff were much more friendly today. The game was entertaining, especially the last twenty minutes. Spoke to Harry post match and learned a few interesting things. Came home and wrote my report.


Wednesday 16th November
League Cup R3: Nakhon Pathom Utd 1-0 Chonburi (aet)
It's deja vu all over again. Sadly - or possibly not! - family commitments meant I couldn't travel to Nakhon Pathom for this one so I had to settle for watching it on the tele. In all honesty, ninety nine times out of a hundred we would have won this match comfortably. Apart from a stodgy first half, we were in complete control, but couldn't find a way through a stubborn defence and a keeper in splendid form. Oh well, there's always next year.


Sunday 20th November
TPL: Nakhon Ratchasima 1-0 Chonburi
Again, family commitments meant I missed out on a trip to one of my favourite cities (Sorry, Russ, but thanks for the match report). And from a football perspective, I was glad I didn't go. A bizarre starting XI meant we were always chasing the game, after going behind early on. Still, a much improved second half performance gave us armchair fans something to get excited about. We deserved at least a draw. I still wish I could've gone. It's not always about the match.


Friday 25th November
TPL: Chonburi 1-0 Port
On my way to meet my lift, I had to stop and shelter from the rain for about 45 minutes. Things were looking bleak. Got picked up by my mate Matt and we headed to the ground. The sky was black, the rain was pelting down and the roads were flooded. It was not looking good. Arrived at the stadium and stayed in the car until it (eventually) stopped raining. Met up with an old friend, and Port fan, Marco. It was lovely to see him. Thankfully, the kick off was delayed so we could chat for longer. Bought a replica shirt from the shop - the lovely white away kit. The match itself was a farce - waterlogged pitch and VAR ruined it - and shouldn't have been played. Still, we won 1-0. After a post match drink, Matt drove me home.


Saturday 26th November
Championship: Samut Prakan City 1-1 Udon Thani
Rode the motorbike up to the Samut Prakan SAT Stadium to watch Samut Prakan City play Udon Thani. I'd left home early because I thought it might rain. However, it stayed fine so arrived a good two and a half hours before kick off. I took the opportunity to take a few photos and have a mooch. Just after 5:00pm, I met my pal, Phil and his wife, Tun. He helped me buy a ticket, bought me a beer and guided me onto the terraces. It was an entertaining game, that the home side should have won, and a thoroughly enjoyable experience. After saying our goodbyes, I set off on the bum numbing 100 minute journey home.


Tuesday 29th November
Chonburi Stadium & Bang Phra Stadium
I hadn't planned on visiting these grounds today, but as I was passing, I thought I'd drop in. Called into the club shop at Chonburi Stadium and bought yet another replica shirt - the red third kit for this season. It looks good and it fits! Then onto Bang Phra Stadium. I had a wander around, took a few photos and reminisced about matches I've watched and played in there. It's one of my favourite stadiums and, even though it now boasts a large main stand, I still find it incredible to think that it was hosting TPL football only 14 years ago.


Wednesday 30th November
FA Cup
Dumped out of the cup a couple of weeks ago so I settled down to watch two ties on the tele. Bangkok Utd comfortably beat Chainat 4-1, after a close first half (0-0) and Chiang Rai Utd won 2-1 away at Ratchaburi, after extra time. Both fairly entertaining games, but I wish we had been playing. Oh well, there's always the league...





No comments:

Post a Comment