Thursday 3 September 2020

Interview With Natt Miles: 2015

My interview with Natt Miles, from November, 2015.


Q- Please can you introduce yourself.
Hi, my name Nattrapon Miles and I'm 19. I was born in the Uttaradit province but I have lived in England for the majority of my life. Currently I'm a student, studying Sports Therapy & Rehabilitation and I'm about midway through that. I plan to live in Thailand, when ever the time is right, I have considered studying a masters at Mahidol.

Q- How long have been following Thai league football?
Not long. I must admit I'm fairly new too it. I started watching properly last season.

Q- What first got you interested in Thai league football?
Family and being half Thai. I've been a football fan all my life and when I was in Thailand for the summer one year my uncle took me to PTT Rayong's football ground and showed me footage of Muang Thong Utd and Buriram Utd games.

Q- What do you enjoy most about Thai domestic football?
That's a difficult question to answer. I think it provides a different way of the game and enjoyment compared to my team Reading, who when not in the EPL, are trying to get in. I've likened it to watching League 2, with my family on the terraces, which I have thoroughly enjoyed but of course the TPL can be bigger and better than that.

Q- Why did you start your blog?
Living in England, no one knows about the TPL and I am someone who likes to talk about things I enjoy so I guess the blog is an outlet for me to write my thoughts about the TPL and football in Thailand.

Q- What do you hope to achieve with your blog?
I'm not completely sure where it will go. I don't think it'll will turn into a news site, we have many good sources for that. I want to be able to provide a platform to increase interest in the TPL for people who like Thailand and want to be interested in its football. I don't speak the lingo myself (I am working on that bit...) so I can't engage in the news like a local and I'm sure thats the same for others too.

Q- Which Thai league team do you support?
I decided to support Bangkok United, their social media presence drew me to the club. I know other clubs do this well also but because players like Mika Chunuonsee and Anthony Ampaipitakwong spoke English and some of Bangkok United's youtube videos had English, I felt like I could connect with the club. It's in a good location and I don't think it's always that enjoyable supporting the best teams.

Q- How would you sum up their season so far?
Mano has brought good football to the club. It's been a much better year than last. We have put ourselves in a position to fight for that 3rd place spot, which means the season is far from over.

Q- What are your future expectations for your club?
I hope to see the club consistently occupy the the top places in the TPL for seasons to come and to be in the AFC/AFC places. For the area of the club and ground, there really should be higher attendances. I hope the club is able to market the team and bring it to the forefront of Bangkokian's minds.

Q- If you could give your club chairman one piece of advice what would it be?
Keep hold of Mano Polking long-term, chopping and changing is never a good thing. Let the manager do his job. It takes time.


Q- Which other Thai league clubs do you most admire?
I do admire Buriram Utd. What they have built in a fairly short amount of time is fantastic and the supporters are great. Same goes for the Swatcats. Their attendences are amazing when compared to the rest of the league.

Q- Which Thai league coaches do you most admire?
Going to say his name again, but Mano Polking, who has spent a while in Thailand now. He didn't have a great time at Suphanburi but has come to Bangkok United and has raised the level. I also think the national coach is doing a fantastic job too.

Q- Which Thai league players do you most admire?
I like the Brazilians Thiago Cunha and Diogo, who have brought real quality to the league. I also like Lee Tuck, who took a leap of faith to move to Thailand and play football and hasn't done too badly. From Thailand, I like Theerathon Bunmathan. I've always liked players who play in my position and he is great for Buriram Utd.

Q- Which are your favourite Thai league grounds?
For some reason, I like the Leo Bangkok Glass Stadium. It's relatively new and I think they have done a good job with it. I've never liked stadiums with running tracks around the pitch but I understand why many teams have them.

Q- Where would you like to see Thai league football in five years time?
I want to see a bigger and better fan base for all teams from the TPL, Div1 and 2 for starters. That would surely increase the stature of the league and make it more attractive to the outside. I also want to see a bigger presence in the AFC Champions League, hopefully the teams that are drawn into the qualifiers can make it into the group stages. More renovated stadia would be nice.

Q- What do you think FAT/TPL need to do to improve local football?
If FAT want to improve the national team in the long term, strong grassroots infrastructure needs to be in place. Kids need the opportunity to play competitively and be provided with a pathway, with good coaching in academies and further on.

Q- If you could make three changes to the way Thai league football is run, what would they be?
A new system in place to make sure the referees are performing. I know a points based system is often talked about.

Shorter breaks, nothing is more frustrating than lots of time in mid season without football.

To keep the league structure between the TPL and Div1 consistent.

Q- What would you say to people to encourage them to go along and support their local Thai league team?
It's all well and good supporting an English team like United or Arsenal but football is best when you go to support your local team. Whether that is Chiang Rai Utd or Port, there is no feeling like standing in the crowd and singing. The quality of the football shouldn't matter.

Q- What are your thoughts on the current Thailand national team, coach and what do you think they can realistically achieve?
Dare I say the World Cup in 2018? I don't think so but getting into that last group is an achievement in itself, as it provides an AFC 2019 group stage place. I think the current crop is a talented bunch of players and Zico seems to have them organised. They have dominated AFF, maybe it's time to start challenging the rest of Asia.

Q- Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Nope, I think you have gotten my brain going enough, ha, ha! Thanks for interviewing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment