Friday 4 September 2020

NEW!! The Return Of The TPL by Tim Spear: 2020

Chonburi fan, Tim Spear, on the return of Thai football.


What have you been up to during the break?
More of my hobbies; running, cycling and reading. However, there were a lack of races, so most of these were solo. I did a lovely cycle to Nong Khai and back in ten days. Tough going, but so many beautiful sights. I am also a teacher, so working from home was almost non stop with students in so many different time zones.

How do you think the Thai FA and TPL have handled the crisis?
To be honest, I have no idea what they have actually done, but postponing early was proactive and good at the time for the country. Sufficient time was also given for a return to fitness and training. So much better than the numpties running the EPL.

On a scale of 1-10, how much have you missed the football?
Probably 4. I have realised I spend so much time travelling to games. Guess it is a cultural habit, but I enjoy the chatting before games probably more than what we have been seeing on the pitch recently, especially the last two years. However, I was very disappointed when arriving at Chonburi Stadium for a recent friendly to find it locked up, but not disappointed enough to find a gap in the fence and watch through that for two hours. Therefore, I just shrugged, drove home and had a couple of beers. So I guess I do miss it, as it is part of a routine, but excited for its return? Not really.

Are you planning to go to the matches, once the season resumes?
Of course, I will go to all home games and a fair range of away ones as well. I always enjoy the day out regardless of the result. My only real concern is that due to my lack of Thai, I won't know what the instructions are beforehand. Would I need a ticket before? Or if the game is moved. The official Chonburi FC website is not too good on giving information. And now there's no independent English language website...

What are you most looking forward to on your return to watching football?
It is always the occasion, a meal, the chat and drink. The teams coming out and kick off are the highlights. Bit of banter too.

After your experiences at the new normal match in Rayong, what are you expecting on September 13th?
The "new normal" match was quite a challenge to get a ticket. I guess if it is necessary, then it is ok. We all need to be heedful of others. However,. I do like to hear the drums and fans chanting, it adds to the game, and a lack of these features was disappointing.

How will you adapt - or how do you expect you'll have to adapt - your behaviour for the new normal of watching Thai football?
Ha ha! It will be the same of course, football is football. If one wanted to sit in silence one would stay at home on the sofa and fall asleep.

What are your opinions on the reduced attendances once the season resumes?
Well Chonburi FC has been operating at 25% capacity now for three years, so I think it will just be the same for us. At stadia with running tracks, this will make no difference to the atmosphere, but the games away at Buriram Utd and Muang Thong Utd will be a little strange.

What would you say to those who might be having doubts about going to matches?
Don't worry about social-distancing, there are few fans anyway. This should make no difference. Too many clubs have folded in our area, and Chonburi is the best supported. We need to continue this. Now Pattaya has a new purpose built stadium, it will be interesting to see what happens there.

What are your thoughts on Chonburi's start to the season- if you can remember that far back! - and what are your expectations for the rest of it?
I have no real recollection of the first four matches, other than I had no idea why Kushida started, let alone in place of Adul. I think this season will be bang average, but do think we may focus on a cup, as there is a lot of experience in the team now.

Speaking of Adul. He's your favourite player and the club have just sold him. What are your thoughts on this?
Disappointment. He is a great midfielder, despite his age, and is a great asset to an average team like ours. At his prime, he was my favourite player in the team, and I have so many memories. These will stay.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?
We will all miss you at games of course, this will be the biggest change (Aw, thanks. I'm really going to miss you guys too. It will be strange trying to follow the action from so far away knowing the laughs you'll all be having - ed). However, now my appetite for the football has been whetted, roll on the 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment