Wednesday 30 September 2020

NEW!! Interview With Sven Beyrich: 2020

Here's my exclusive interview with Sven Beyrich, who has contributed to spreading the word about Thai football in German and English. He curated the Thai Fussball website for almost a decade, and is someone who I am proud to call a good friend.



Please can you start by introducing yourself

My name is Sven. I’m a mid-forty-year-old who spends way too much of his time, energy and money with football and travelling.


How did you first get interested in Thai football?

That’s a long story. But to keep it short, more or less due to my travels to Thailand.


How did you get your information about Thai football in those days?

Back in the days mostly from the old Thaifootball board.


Why and when did you decide to start a Thai football website?

That was in 2009. Initially I just wanted to share some basic information about Thai football in German by translating articles I found. But it soon changed as I realized I could create my own content, add some fixtures, standings and so on.


How long did it run?

More or less, with some regular content and updates, until 2017/18 I would say. However, the website is still online, as I haven’t really had the time yet to take it down.


What kind of items did you feature on your site?

News, views, interviews, reportage. Fixtures and tables as I already said. Everything from youth football, Futsal to women’s football, leagues and cup competitions.


Which aspects did you enjoy doing the most?

Hm. I would say almost every aspect? But certainly, meeting the people, talking to them, getting insides and get a look behind the scenes. Although the latter sometimes was a downer. You just knew too much. And I think there is no difference to a journalist reporting on football in Europe. There are things you don’t want to know (as a fan of football). On the other hand, at some point, I took reporting seriously and tried to follow principles of journalism. Not coming from this field and doing so, was something that I enjoyed too. Not to forget the recognition I received, having my five minutes of fame here and there.



How did you promote your site?

I never really did any big promotion. I just distributed the content via social media channels like Facebook or Twitter. However, the figures weren’t that bad. I think I closed the Facbook channel at a number of around 20.000 followers if not more. On Twitter it’s still 12.000.


How much time - on average - did you spend on your projects?

In the early years I’ve spend about 40 hours a week on the website. This included watching as many games as possible via dodgy and shaky streams.


What cooperation did you get from clubs, players, coaches, Thai league etc?

None from official sites like the league or clubs. Everything was down to our own connections, networks and having met the people involved. But everyone we talked to was great, open and helpful. Fans, players and coaches. I think it hasn’t really changed nowadays. Most of the people I’ve met where down to earth and just happy that someone where interested in them and Thai football.


What help did you get with your site?

Two people are to mention here. One is Willi, some know him as a Pattaya United fan, and the other one was Falk, a Muangthong United fan. Both were or and are familiar names within their fan scene respectively. Both were in Thailand while I sat in Germany for most of the time. And they helped me with gathering information’s, contributed their own articles and conducted interviews.


What was the reaction from fans to your site?

Mostly great and overwhelming. When I started the project, I never ever dreamed of that so many people, especially Germans, could be so interested in Thai football. I’m sure that I did my part to bring Thai football on the map and that is something I think I can be proud of. It will be part of life forever.


How hard was it to write articles in German and English?

That was really one of the toughest parts I have to say. I never was the best in school when it came to German, neither to English. Especially with the grammar. And you know that we bloody Germans always have the tendency to be perfect.


Why did you decide to write in both languages?

I started in German first. But at some point, I noticed that people started to translate the articles into English or other languages with the help of a translator. Back in the days the online-translators weren’t as good as they are now. So, I thought that even with my poor English I could do a better job than the online-translators.



There is now so much more English content available, what part do you like to think you played in initiating this?

I would say creating an interest for it. Because with lowering the language barrier, more and more people got interested in it and could follow it. But to be fair, it wasn’t only me. It’s was and is still you, Dale. As well as some other guys like Paul, Paul, Malky, Matt, Nigel and others. Last year I’ve met Gabriel Tan in Munich who is now writing for Fox Sports in Asia. He told me that I was inspiration for him. And that was probably one of the biggest compliments I’ve ever got.


What is the funniest thing that happened to you during your involvement with your site?

Funny? Nothing that springs to my mind. But a lot of interesting stories and moments I have great memories of. A lot of them are connected with Björn Lindemann and his time in Thailand. Oh. Wait. It might have nothing to do with the website, but that one night when you were talking to Brian outside the Chonburi Stadium about toilets in England. That was really funny and still amuses me till today.


What are you up to now?,

Still busy with football, of course. I’m the co-host of a German women’s football podcast and I’m in to sports photography. My interested for women’s football and that I’m in to sports photography are nothing that came out of the blue though. Both are things that simply evolved out of the work for the website. And occasionally I feature on The Guardian, the BBC or other outlets with my expertise on women’s, Thai and Asian football. One could say, I always had my niche and still find new ones I can explore, enjoy and help it to grow. Or even where I can help with my expertise. Haha.


Do you still follow Thai football?

I do. As much as I can. Time provided. But of course, mostly via Twitter. The Twitter channel of thaifussballde is still active, but I have to admit, that with the current COVID19 situation, I completely lost the connection to Thai football and I find it hard to get back in and tweet news about it. On the other hand, there are so many channels right now, there is no need for me to be added to the mix.


If you were starting out now what would you do differently?

Not much I would say. Maybe a website that is more modern and easily adjustable when it needs to be changed to stay modern. That was really a problem with the software the website was running on. It was a secure and fast system, but hardly maintained and adjusted to be with the time.


Is there anything you regret not doing during your time involved with the site?

No. I covered two Thai FA Cup finals. The latest one with Port winning it 10 years after I started the site and the club winning it for the first time for 10 years. I was at the Asian Cup in the Emirates last year as well at the women’s world cup in France. It rounded the things up well for me.


Do you miss it and would you ever consider doing it again?

No and no. But that’s simply not because I don’t wouldn’t do it again. It’s simply because time and life go on. The dogs bark, but the caravan passes. So, to say. 


Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I had a great time covering Thai football over the years. I met so many interesting people I’ve never could dream of before. And that means all people I’ve met involved with the game. Be it coaches, fans or others. The time around last year’s Cup Final was an eye opener for me as I have met so many people that I’ve met over the past years. It was a great time and much fun. It just reminded me of how many friends I’ve made over the time in Thailand. And that certainly will always get me back to the country and go to football matches and meet all those people as much as I can. And of course, I still need and want to meet all the new kids on the block. Be it Wellywolf, Phil, Jimmy, Gian and others.



No comments:

Post a Comment