Monday 7 December 2020

NEW!! Interview With Phil Williams: 2020

T1
Samut Prakarn City v Chonburi
Saturday 12th December, 2020

Here's my pre match interview with Samut Prakarn City fan, Phil Williams.


How has Samut Prakan City's season gone so far?
We had a very shaky start, taking just one point from our opening four matches and looking like relegation candidates. However, since the season restart, we've steadied the ship somewhat and look like we're very capable of climbing up the league. We had a terrific win at Buriram recently, we came away from both BG Pathum and Muangthong with credible draws and we've beaten Sukhothai and Prachuap. We're still far too near the drop zone for comfort but in the words of Yazz - the only way is up! 


And how satisfied are you with the team's performances this year?
Very satisfied. We have far too good a squad of players to be flirting with relegation and I think we've been unlucky in a number of games. If I go back to those four matches at the start of the campaign (where we picked up just one point) the home game against Bangkok United (a 1-2 defeat) could've gone either way and we lost 0-1 at Police Tero when the lucky buggers scored with their only shot of the match.

We've now got four or five players regularly making the Thai national squad. Jaroensak's stock rises with every match, Pathiwat is becoming one of the best goalkeepers in T1, Teerapol Yoyei is getting back to the form he showed last season, Jakkapan has shown a remarkable improvement and Peeradol is Peeradol, the heartbeat of the team. What a player! But generally I think there is quality all over the park. 


What are your expectations for the rest of the season?
I would be more than happy with a top half finish and to lift the FA Cup in April. Then again, we are only four points behind the team in 5th place. Why shouldn't we finish in the top five if we can put a decent run together starting with a win against your lot? 


How happy are you with the club's progress during its short existence?
On the field, we've assembled a good squad of players and what's more, they really look like they enjoy playing for Samut Prakan. Off the field, I'd like to see more money spent on the stadium. Although the SAT Stadium is our home and we love it, the match day experience needs improving (club shop, toilet facilities, fan zone with a wider variety of food vendors, etc) My wife was sitting near me as I answered these questions so I asked for her input. She agreed with me about the SAT - "when you go away to other stadiums like Ratchaburi and BG Pathum, you realise how far behind we are. The SAT feels like some poor, rural stadium in comparison, however it's a lot cleaner than other grounds. I don't have to clean my seat with a tissue before I sit down"    


Realistically, what do you think the club can achieve?
I think we've got the potential to become a top four side but it might take several seasons and we need to focus on bringing in quality players and not just 'anybody'. I didn't warm to manager Ishii-san at first (I thought he was far too defensive-minded) but in his post match interviews, he talks a good game. I can now see the direction he wants to take the team in and that he recognises what improvements need to be made (scoring more goals for a start)

Long term, I guess much depends on how much cash the owner is willing to throw at the club. There's been talk for a while about moving to a newly built, modern stadium and while that sounds great in theory, would it take away the essence of this great little working class club? I worry about that because it's part of the appeal of being a Samut Prakan supporter. Improvements need to be made, like I said earlier, but we still like things a little bit rough around the edges. 


You've really thrown yourself into supporting the team and promoting the club. Why is this and what do you enjoy most about it?
Dale, I could type pages and pages to answer this one but here are the main reasons. Firstly, I've always loved going to watch football matches. Back in my Birmingham days, I would travel to Aston Villa, Wolves, Coventry, Walsall, etc to watch games. I see following Samut Prakan as a continuation of what I always loved to do but of course, this time it's MY club as well. 

Secondly, I've always been a guy who throws himself into something 100% or not at all. If I'm going to support the club, then I'm going to do a proper job. No half measures. If I have to fly down to Songkhla for an FA Cup game, then so be it. 

Finally, I've always been something of a 'loner' and going to football matches or enjoying football weekends away can be a wonderful solitary pastime. Recently, I've had a couple of great weekends away in Khorat and Buriram. Yes, I've met up with some great people along the way and I've thoroughly enjoyed their company, but most of the time has been spent on my own. And I've loved every minute of it!      


Having resisted the lure of Thai football for so long, do you have any regrets about not getting into it sooner?
Probably, but I can't change the past. I've been fortunate to have supported Samut Prakan right from their very first game and I'm grateful for the opportunity. When Pattaya United relocated, I think it was written in the stars. The time was right and I've no regrets because I think in many ways, I've made up for lost time. 


Speaking of Pattaya Utd, there was initially a lot of stick dished out to you and your club, in light of the relocation and renaming. What were your feelings about this and how did you deal with it?
I love football banter. Show me a big mouth and I'll show you a bigger one. It didn't bother me at all.  


It seems to have almost disappeared now. Why do you think this is?
I've no idea, Dale. I think it's totally disappeared actually. I haven't had an offensive or argumentative response to a tweet for ages. I think once people realised I was serious about supporting the club (and I truly am) the fun went out of it for them. Muppets!


If Samut Prakarn City folded or relocated at the end of the season, what would you do?
Probably bury myself under the duvet and sob hysterically. The club has become such a huge part of my life. They've provided what was missing. I just didn't realise it. 


What has been the reaction to your match reports/preview etc on your Ajarn blog and Twitter page?
I'm obviously writing for an extremely niche audience and while I hope a few readers enjoy them, I write the blogs mainly for myself to re-visit and look back on. And that's why I call the blog 'diary of a football season' because it's always fun to look back through an old diary, right? I have a good friend in England (a Ratchaburi fan) who said to me the other week 'you're going to have so much fun in your old age reading through all those match report / blogs'. Never a truer word was spoken. 

I try to write about what goes on around the match (the journey, the hotel, the weather, the stadium, etc) rather than just about the match itself. Even though it's a football blog, I think people would much rather read about the difficulties in getting to Suphanburi by bus or the gem of a hotel I found than Peeradol nodding in an 85th minute winner from a left wing cross. The actual football match itself is always so difficult to write about and tough to make interesting for readers I find. It's best left to The Guardian football writers. 
  

What have been your impressions of Chonburi this season?
Why is it that every time I look at the league table, Chonburi are always in 7th place? No, seriously, you are always in 7th. They could cut the premier down to six teams and you'd still be in 7th.

Chonburi are a bit like Samut Prakan aren't they? They consider themselves very much a top half of the table side but not quite good enough to be top five. Chonburi always give me the impression of a club that just 'treads water' - a surprise win here, an unexpected defeat there, but generally satisfied with their lot even if it feels like they lack a bit of ambition at times. You are almost like the 'West Ham' of the Thai Premier League.   


What are you expecting from Saturday's match?
A much closer game than last season because last year, although it was only 1-0, we absolutely battered you. I've just looked back at the blog and I described Chonburi as 'the worst team we'd seen at Bang Plee this season'

I'll go for 2-1 to Samut Prakan, which would mean we go above you in the table. You'd still be in 7th though! 


Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Totally unrelated but something I would love to do for the blog is interviews with players. I don't mean containing questions such as 'how do you feel the team are performing at the moment?' Do you remember those interviews we used to read as teenagers in Shoot! and Goal and Match Weekly magazines, that were full of questions like most memorable match, best goal, favourite away ground, pre-match meal, dressing room ritual, what do you do in your free time? player you most admire, boyhood hero, what kind of people do you dislike? toughest opponent, etc - short questions with even shorter answers. Let's bring them back!   

No comments:

Post a Comment