Friday 9 April 2021

NEW!! Interview With A Chiang Rai Utd Fan: 2021

My pre FA Cup final interview with Chiang Rai Utd fan, Alec.


First off, please can you give us a short summary of your semi final win
It was not the greatest match from Chiang Rai but it demonstrated what sets us apart from many clubs. We were able to show resolve - a real champions mentality - and grab a win even without dominating the match. I believe our team's recent success in the league and various cups set us up well to handle the pressure of matches like this.


What were your expectations going into the match?
To be honest, when I saw the draw against Bangkok Utd, I was quite happy. Of all the remaining teams I believed they were the easiest. I expected us to dominate the match, which we didn't. But nonetheless, I did fully expect a win against a team I viewed as weaker. It wasn't pretty but we got the job done. I think we had several moments of great football alongside many more moments of resolute defending. The players all put in a great shift, even if they weren't as positive and attacking as I'd like to see.


What did you think about Chonburi's win?
I was casually viewing the match while at our own game. I didn't catch too much, but from what I did see I think Chonburi played phenomenally. They got their goals, and they absolutely shut down the Buriram attack. Just perfect execution of their game plan.


Admit it, you were expecting to be playing Buriram Utd on Sunday, weren't you?
I am not sure about that. Going back to my earlier answer - I viewed Bangkok Utd as the easiest match. Buriram is always a threat. And I reckoned Chonburi was carrying a lot of momentum and desire - a deadly combination in a cup tie. I didn't really know what to expect from your match, but I didn't think it was an easy match for Buriram at all.


What are your expectations for the final?
With no fans, I think this is going to be a tough match for both sides. Chonburi is riding a crest of momentum with their recent results and transfer news. But going back to what I said earlier - I think Chiang Rai's recent streak of league and cup success gives a slight advantage. We have new and veteran players in our squad, but almost every single one of them has played in important matches before.


What are your thoughts on the choice of venue?
I hate Thammasat Stadium, and even more than that I hate that we won't be there cheering in person. As far as alternatives I think Muangthong is a great neutral venue in Bangkok. We opened this season there with a Champion's Cup match against Port and I thoroughly enjoyed it.


What are your thoughts on the fan ban for the final?
I just hate it. I know what this match means to you and Chonburi fans, and for us Chiang Rai fans it is our chance to end a rocky season with a trophy and to make up for failing to finish above Port. It would have been a fantastic atmosphere I'm sure. I am gutted.


How do you think it will affect the teams?
Both teams are surely used to empty stadiums by now. I think it will play a role, but probably not as much as it would have a year ago.


If it had been your decison to make, what would you have done?
It's a tough call. We are starting to see the true fallout of this latest outbreak with the cases very quickly adding up. I think there is a valid argument for closing the doors, but at the same time, I think they could take better precautions to keep fans distanced. In recent matches all the regulations have gone out the window with fans sitting and standing very close, shouting and singing in a group, etc. Maybe the best compromise would have been limited fans while still having the stewards strictly enforce social distancing. Thammasat is certainly big enough to accommodate this I think.


Which players do you think will shine on the day?
Cho Ji Hun has been outstanding for us. He created both our goals against BU and I expect him to be instrumental. Of course, I also fancy Bill to turn up in a match like this and put in a great performance.

For Chonburi I fancy Worachit to have another great match. He really impressed me against Buriram. Even without considering the goal he seemed very positive and always dangerous going forward.


And which players do you think will "freeze" on the big stage?
For Chonburi, I honestly have no idea.

For Chiang Rai, going solely based on potential vs. output, I think one Chaiyawat and Sivakorn are most likely to underperform. On their day they are two of the most talented players in the league, but with that amount of potential, they can sometimes underdeliver. Luckily they seem to never have off days together. I'll also point to Tanasak as a potential weak spot. He's had a few shaky performances lately in our back three. Including a first-half substitution against Samut Prakan if I remember correctly.


Who do you think go into the match as favourites?
I think Chiang Rai is the favorite. I am worried about your great counter attack,, which we sometimes struggle against, but I think our experience and midfield talent will see us through.


Would you care to give a score prediction?
I'll be honest. At the time of writing this I have just seen coach Sasom's comment questioning Bill and doping - so I'm a little fired up. I think Bill will be fired up by this too. I think Chiang Rai wins 3-1.


Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Best of luck! I wish we were shaking hands before the match on Sunday but maybe next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment