Tuesday 15 November 2022

New! Chonburi 4-0 Lampang - Match Report: 2022

 TPL
Chonburi 4-0 Lampang
Chonburi Stadium
Sunday 13th November, 2022


In all honesty, the first forty five minutes were pretty scrappy/frantic* (*delete as applicable) and only  notable for the ridiculous amount of time it took for VAR to award us a penalty - which we missed - and for Danilo's opener, a short while after he'd failed from the spot for the second week running. 

However, I must admit to being somewhat distracted during this opening period by (a) the sheer thrill of being back at Chonburi Stadium after a six month absence (b) catching up with friends over a couple of drinks - in the ground! and (c) following the T20 World Cup final in Melbourne (Australia). But once news came through that Cumbrian, Ben Stokes had lead England to victory over Pakistan, I could concentrate fully on the events playing out in front of me. And I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

The second half started with Chonburi on the front foot and looking to increase their lead. I turned to bloke next to me and said, "if we score now, we'll win by four or five today." Sadly, things didn't go quite according to plan and Lampang - whose travelling fans were fantastic from start to finish - slowly got themselves into the game. Indeed they had a few really good chances to equalise; they hit the post, the bar, had shots cleared off the line and our keeper made some fine saves. It was getting nervy up in the stands.

So much so, that during this spell of pressure, I turned once again to the bloke next to me and said, "if they score now, I can see us losing this game." It was a very real possibility. You can take my word for that.

Thankfully, the natural order was restored when Sasom brought on Amadou, Noppanon and Kritsada for the final quarter. Within an instant, the game was turned on its head and the Sharks took charge. We looked like a completely different team, as we rattled in three goals in an eight minute spell and should have scored more. So, 4-0 it finished (I told you so!) and everyone went home happy. Even, I suspect, those magnificent visiting supporters, who seem determined to enjoy every minute of their time in the top flight.

And me? I loved it. It was so nice to be back home. Seeing old mates, making a few new ones and just being at the stadium watching the team I love. Thank you for not letting me down (Winky face, smiley face).

No comments:

Post a Comment