Tuesday 15 November 2022

New! Pre Match Interview With The Blogger (Nakhon Ratchasima): 2022

Nakhon Ratchasima fan, Russ John, sent me a few testing questions ahead of this weekend's fixture. Here are my replies.



Wow, given your resurgence, what have they been feedings the Sharks?
Ha ha! We aren't feeding them. That's why they're so hungry on match days. Honestly, I think this season's - dare I use the word? - success, is down to all the hard work that has been put in over the past few years. The youngsters that have come through have been outstanding and the experienced players we have brought in have helped the team to gel. Many Thai clubs will sack a coach after a few months, if they aren't getting immediate results, and repeat this cycle over and over again with the same outcome. Thankfully, we haven't followed this pattern. We have stuck with Sasom, and the backroom staff, and are now reaping the rewards for our patience. It's encouraging to see.


What are your expectations for your club in the season ahead? Could they win it ?
Well, we don't have anything else to focus on... Seriously, before the recent tragic events, I would have said yes. The league seems quite weak this season and any team that puts a good run together can see itself challenging near the top. And we had done that prior to the accident. Sittichok is back from Japan and I expect us to make another couple of signings during the transfer window - a goalkeeper will be coming, for starters - so we will be stronger. However, I think it is beyond us this year.


What do you make of your new signings, particularly two of my favourites Chalermpong and Amadou?
Speaking purely about onfield matters, Chalermpong seems steady enough. He brings that eperience to the team and is not afraid to get stuck in. Amadou blows hot and cold, but when he's on form he's such an entertaining player to watch. He's been overshadowed by Danilo's performances this season, but we really need to keep him and keep him happy. He was sensational during his brief cameo last Sunday.


How good is Danillo?
His goalscoring record speaks for itself and - a couple of penalty misses aside - I have been very impressed with him. It's nice to have a big centre forward who opposing defences are scared of. He's a great targetman, but will also drop deep if needs be. Even if Chonburi don't win the league this year, it would be satisfying to have the Golden Boot winner.


And following on, where is Murillo?
Sadly, he's out with a long term injury. There was an update on his progress a few weeks ago, but I've heard nothing since. Hopefully, he'll be back sooner rather than later. It will be like having a new signing when he returns.


If not the Sharks; who are your favourites to win the league and why?
Buriram Utd. As I've aleady said, I think the league isn't very strong this season and they are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else.


I have the Sharks down as favourites in this encounter, do you agree?
I do. Even the midweek disappointment and two hour plus slog on the waterlogged pitch at Nakhon Pathom haven't really changed my mind. In spite of the result and the ridiculous conditions, I thought we played quite well on Wednesday. It was just one of those games when we couldn't score and didn't get the breaks. However, I saw enough then, and last Sunday, to go into this weekend's match full of confidence. And you lot haven't exactly set the world alight recently. Although, opting out of the League Cup in order to get a day off and a bit longer to prepare for our visit was a pretty crafty move.


What are your thoughts on the "new era" Swatcats?
I think it's a real shame what is happening there. As you know, I have great fondness for the city and the club. Looking in from the outside, it looks like a complete mess. I don't know too much about what's going on, but someone needs to do something soon to arrest the decline. There is clearly a lot of potential there, but the club management seem to be doing everything wrong. I sincerely hope you are able to turn things around, and quick. That said, I hope we can take advantage of this disarray and beat you convincingly on Sunday. 


Who is going down and why?
Any three from the current bottom four - Lampang, Lamphun, Khon Kaen Utd and Nongbua Pitchaya. Although, a team who appear to be sitting comfortably in mid table will often get dragged into it as the season comes to a close. I really hope it won't be you this year.


I have already worked it out but maybe many haven't, what does UTA stand for!!!
U-Tapao International Aviation


You have recently expressed implied fears for the future of the league. Would you care to express those fears?
I believe the league is at something of a crossroads right now. Many clubs are still feeling the pinch after the pandemic and this goes for supporters too, who are staying away. The fact that the Thai League, FAT and the clubs themselves all seem to be pulling in different directions doesn't help. The recent fixture change debacle highlights this. Thankfully, the clubs got their way in the end and FAT backed down. But I can see other similar issues arising in the future, unless everyone starts acting for the good of the game. And this means lengthy discussions involving all parties. I'm not really a fan of his, but it is good that the most successful club owner of recent years is always willing to speak out when he feels things aren't right. His initial opposition to the leg 2 alterations acted as a catalyst for others to follow and ended in victory for common sense.

There are many other factors too. Even something as simple as getting a good TV deal and using it to promote the game where everyone can access it without any hassle, would be a move in the right direction. The current set up isn't doing anyone any favours. I could list hundreds of ways in which things could be improved, but I'd just be repeating a lot of what has been said over the past 15 years. However, I am of the opinion that this season is a crucial one and how the situation is managed (and I use that word advisedly!) from here will be a huge factor in how the domestic Thai football landscape will look in the next couple of years. I only hope that the powers that be can see this.


Finally I have to ask!! How will England fare in the upcoming World Cup?
I must admit, I've paid very little attention to the World Cup so far. And I'm not sure how much of it I'll watch. However, if England's pre tournament form is any guide, they'll do well to get as far as the quarter finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment