Monday 6 February 2023

JSoccer Magazine Interview With The Blogger: 2018

In January, 2018, I was interviewed by Lionel Piguet for an article in JSoccer magazine. Here's what I had to say:


How did you end up in Thailand? 
I came here in 1997 to work at international school with my friend. I've been in Thailand - and at the school - ever since.


Why did you start following Chonburi?
They are my local club. It was very difficult finding any information about Thai league football - even in Thai - when I started supporting them in 2002, so I literally had to ride my motorbike around the city until I found the stadium. Thankfully, it's much easier now and I've stuck by them through thick and thin.


About Chonburi, what kind of club is it in Thailand? 
We are a small, provincial club who had a few successful seasons in the noughties. We were the first side from outside Bangkok to win the Thai League (2007) and we are - quite rightly - credited with kick starting the boom that Thai football enjoyed towards the end of that decade. We have also won the FA Cup (2010) and the Kor Royal Cup (2008, 2009, 2011 & 2012) and in 2006, we were the first foreign team to reach the Singapore Cup final, which we lost, 3-2, to Tampines Rovers. However, we have struggled to keep up with the newer, more ambitious clubs that have appeared in the past few years and are now a solid mid table team.


What are their connections with Japan?
In 2012 we signed a partnership deal with Vissel Kobe, but I don't think either club particularly benefited from it and quietly died a death, with very little mourning.

Our most successful coach in recent years was Masahiro Wada. He guided us to within a linesman's flag (a poor decision) of a second league title in 2014 and also got us to the FA Cup final in the same year - which we lost to Bangkok Glass. Sadly, he only stayed for one season. I'm sure if he had been given more time, he would have won something for us.

Our most successful Japanese player has been Kazuto Kushida. He was at Chonburi for four years between 2011 and 2015. His busy, no nonsense style and friendly nature made him very popular with the fans and his team mates. For me, he didn't score enough goals, but otherwise his time with the Sharks can be can considered a fruitful one.

There is a large Japanese community in the area and I'm surprised that the management doesn't do more to attract them to home games. After the Vissel Kobe deal, we did get a few Japanese language articles on the official website and on some merchandise, but, again, this has all stopped now. I don't really understand why.


Do fans travel to support the club? 
10-12 years ago we used to take large away followings wherever we went. This was very unusual at the time and mostly we would considerably outnumber the home support. Sadly, a lot of the fans who used to travel have now stopped going, so our numbers on the road are nothing like they used to be. I'd say we have a hardcore of about 50-100 that will be present at most away matches. A far cry from when a four figure turnout was the norm. The character of the away support has also changed. It is no longer as boisterous or as passionate as it used to be.


Could you tell us a bit about Ryotaro Nakano. What he brought to the team, what kind of player he is and how was his season? 
Overall, I was disappointed with his contribution. It was a difficult season for Chonburi, but I felt he went 'missing' in many of the games. He certainly wasn't the only one guilty of this, but I would expect more from someone occupying a precious 'foreigner' slot. He did show a few good touches, but these were usually in the matches against poor opposition. It was probably the wrong time for him to be here. Maybe when surrounded by better players and with a more experienced coach, he would have shown us what he is capable of.


Are Chonburi’s fans interested in the J.league? 
There is quite a bit of interest in the J League now, mainly thanks to Chanathip's move there. I don't think Chonburi fans follow Japanese football particularly closely, but I'm sure if one of our players were to go, I think that would change.


Are there any players that could make their way to Japan? 
I would have said Nurul. It was rumoured that a couple of Japanese - and South Korean - clubs were interested in him last season, but sadly, he chose to join out T1 rivals, Port. I think this shows a lack of ambition on his part. He would certainly have improved as a player if he'd have taken the risk. Other than him, I don't think any of the current squad is anywhere near good enough to make the transition. They struggle in the Thai league!


Why the shark on the logo? 
The Shark logo is the badge of the Assumption School in SriRacha. This is where the club has its roots. It is also the symbol of the city. I'm not fond of  the current one - it's far too cartoon like for my taste. The original badge had a lot more class and style.

No comments:

Post a Comment