Thursday 30 March 2023

New! My Thai Football Diary: (March) 2023



Saturday 4th March
TPL: Chonburi 2-2 Khon Kaen Utd (Chonburi Stadium)
I got to the stadium nice and early and managed to take lots of photographs (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) of the ground and the staff preparing to host the match. The game itself was a reasonably entertaining 2-2 draw. I think it was a fair result. Obviously disappointed we didn't win, but a good day was had and I caught up with a few friend and introduced a mate, Jon, and his son, Jake, to the joys of supporting Chonburi FC. They really enjoyed their first experience watching the Sharks and vowed to return.


Sunday 5th March
TPL: BG Pathum Utd 1-3 Nongbua Pichaya (TV)
TPL: Port 2-3 Muang Thong Utd (TV)
I watched a couple of matches on the tele. First up BG Pathum United - probably the only team in the league currently worse than us – against Nongbua Pichaya - who had beaten us the week before. The visitors deservedly won 3-1. Then switched over to watch the rest of Port v Muang Thong Utd. The away team came from two nil down to win three two. Lots of controversy – involving penalties, VAR etc - and Madame Pang had a hissy fit at the end, confronting the officials. Entertaining enough, I suppose.


Thursday 9th March
PTT Stadium
On the way back from a short break in Chantaburi, we stopped off at the PTT Stadium in Rayong, one of the nicer Thai league grounds of recent years. It’s currently not being used to host professional football matches, which is a real shame. I managed to get inside without any problems and had a good walk around. I took lots of photographs. As much as I enjoyed myself, I also felt quite sad. It is a decent ground and a lot better than many that are hosting matches in the top flight. It deserves better. If we could dismantle it and transfer it piece by piece up to Chonburi, I wouldn't be too unhappy.


Sunday 12th March
TPL: Bangkok Utd 3-1 Chonburi (Thammasat Stadium)
Drove up to Bangkok with Claire, Tim and Osman. We had a lovely late morning/early afternoon walking round Chatuchak market. I hadn’t been there for a very long time. It was busy and extremely hot. Also the air quality wasn't the greatest. In fact, Bangkok went from the 14th most polluted city in the world to the 12th, in the couple of hours that we were there. I know because Osman was monitoring it on his phone. There’s not much to say about the match, however pre match I had one of those great experiences you only get at Thai football. 

As the ground is on a university campus, we couldn't buy beer at the stadium or at the local 7 11s so I asked a local motorbike taxi driver to take me somewhere we could purchase the golden liquid. After about a minute, we rolled up at a private house down one of the sois behind the college. I knocked on the door and a little old lady opened the shutter. It was a bit like being in the USA during Prohibition. Behind her, I could see cans and bottles of alcohol stacked floor to ceiling. I bought six cans of Chang, three cans of Leo and returned triumphantly to the ground. Absolutely brilliant. This is why I love Thailand. 


Wednesday 15th March
Championship: Nakhon Pathom Utd 1-0 Suphanburi (TV)
Championship: Rayong 2-1 Customs (TV)
I had hoped to get along to Samut Prakan City this evening, but circumstances conspired against me. So I ended up watching two Championship matches on the tele. In all honesty, there’s nothing much to talk about from either. There was lots of play acting and lots of time wasting. And, to be honest, I’m pretty glad I don’t have to watch this kind of stuff every week.


Saturday 18th March
TPL: Buriram Utd 4-1 Khon Kaen Utd (TV)
Watched Buriram United beat Khon Kaen Utd 4-1. A bit of controversy early on when Buriram were awarded a very questionable penalty. Then had to retake it (they missed the first effort) because the keeper had moved. No more than any keeper does, but… However, in the end, the home team ran out comfortable winners so it didn’t really matter. 


Sunday 19th March
Princess Srindhorn Stadium, IPE Stadium, Chonburi Municipal Stadium & Chonburi Stadium
TPL: Chonburi 1-2 Ratchaburi (Chonburi Stadium)
I set off early in order to visit all of the stadiums that Chonburi have used during their time in the Thai league. My first stop was at Princess Srindhorn, a short ride from home. I spent many happy Sunday afternoons here during the Pro League years. It felt good to be back. I had a look round, took a few photographs and then had a hairy drive up to the IPE, in the north of the city. The stadium is looking the worse for wear. Again, I got inside, took a few photographs, sat in my old seat and then made the short hop to Chonburi Municipal Stadium. Oh my! It is a real mess. It's so sad to see it in such a rundown state. When I think of all the happy memories and glorious nights we had there, it breaks my heart. Now it's pretty much derelict and neglected. 

After leaving, I paid a quick visit to the Chonburi Blue Wave Arena, which I hadn't realised was where we used to have the fan club football games. It's been tarted up a bit since, but that's where we used to play back in the day. My final stop was Chonburi Stadium for the match against Ratchaburi. It ended in another defeat. It’s official, I am the jinx! I was in Thailand for six matches. We won none, drew one and lost five, so I think everybody is quite happy that I'm going back to England. As for the game itself, there’s not much to report. We were really poor in the first half and two nil down at half time. We played a bit better in the second and really should have drawn. Caught up with Matt, Jon, Jake, Daniel and David. Said my goodbyes. After the match, I had a few drinks with Claire and Tim and Val, and had a solitary final Chang in the sala. Then I made my weary way home.  Felt sad to leave, but I’ll be back again soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment