Thursday 19 September 2019

FA Cup Final: 2009

Ten years after they first won the trophy, Thai Port have reached a second FA Cup final. In 2009, Marco wrote this article about their triumph for our 'Sniffin' Somtam' fanzine:

Thai Port’s 16 Year Wait Comes To An End



TPL side, Thai Port F.C recently ended a 16 year wait for a major trophy, by winning the FA Cup final against BEC Tero. For me, the wait wasn’t so long. I’ve only been a fan of the club for about 6 months, after discovering them during a 2 month stay in Bangkok. Before you call me a glory supporter, I also follow Everton, so I know what it feels like to go for over a decade without winning a trophy!

I was unable to attend the final, as I was back in the U.K. Oddly enough I was unable to watch Everton in the English FA Cup final as was I was in Thailand…I think it’s called sod’s law?!

I had to settle for watching the match from the comfort of my home, via the internet. Those of us brought up in England are used to 4 or 5 hours televised FA Cup final build up. Interviews with the players, pundits reminiscing about past finals, and most importantly, footage of the teams arriving at Wembley Stadium are all part of Cup final day tradition. There are no such luxuries afforded to Thai football fans. Just a quick run through of the starting elevens, some shots of dignitaries in the crowd and it was time for kick off.

The noise generated by the 10,000+ orange and blue clad Thai Port fans inside Suphachalasai Stadium as the game kicked off was fantastic. They kept up their vocal support for the whole match, and to use an obvious cliché, they really were our 12th player. They were however, momentarily silenced in the 15thminute, when BEC Tero’s early pressure paid off. Wuttichai Tathong headed ‘the fire dragons’ into the lead, after good work from Noppol Pitifai.

Thai Port responded well after going a goal down, and forced their way back into the match on 24 minutes. Port’s midfield dynamo, Jirawat Makarom swung a fantastic cross into the 6 yard box, which was flicked on by Pipat Tonkanya, leaving Brazilan striker Edvaldo with the task of heading the ball into the net for the equaliser. The rest of the 90 minutes was a frenetic end-to-end match, but neither side could score the winning goal.

Just as I was settling down for the 30 minutes of extra-time, the Thai TV channel I was watching, decided to go for an extremely long news bulletin. To say I disagreed with their decision would be an understatement! I ended up missing the whole of the extra-time period, as I desperately searched for an alternative streaming of the match.

I was lucky enough to re-connect to the action, just as the penalty kicks were being taken. Both teams scored their first 4, and the tension was becoming unbearable. Thritthi Nonsrichai nervously stepped up to take BEC Tero’s fifth penalty, which he slammed against the crossbar.

Thai Port fans sensed victory. The clubs talismanic striker, Pipat Tonkanya placed the ball on the penalty spot. He paused to steady his nerves before slowly running up to the ball. Just as his foot made contact, the picture froze. I had an agonizing 5 second wait before the streaming kicked back into life, and I saw the BEC Tero players with their heads in their hands, and the Thai Port players embracing each other. The relief was immense. I was shouting and cheering loudly in the U.K, while the fans at the Stadium who were illuminated by the bright orange glow from hundreds of flares, celebrated wildly.

I regret that I wasn’t at Suphachalasai to witness Khun Pichet, Khun Sasom and the players lift the trophy, and that I wasn’t able to celebrate with the Thai Port fans, but all in all it was a great day that I’ll never forget.

Next season I’m determined to go and watch Thai Port in an AFC Cup away match, which will go some way to making up for missing final. If we are drawn against a team from the Maldives, you won’t hear any complaints from me that’s for sure!      

No comments:

Post a Comment