Friday 23 October 2020

NEW!! Interview With A Chiang Rai Utd Fan: 2020

My pre match interview with Chiang Rai Utd fan, Alec Peeples.


Q: How are you and how did you spend the long break?
Doing pretty well now that some sunshine is finally returning. Luckily the break coincided with a few MotoGP races, so I was able to catch those.

Q: What is the best thing about having the football back?
Having a weekend beer while the football is on is much better than a beer while sat on the couch watching Netflix.

Q: How have Chiang Rai Utd performed since the restart?
Much improved! We look more energized than before. Our attack has become a bit more clinical, which I only expect to improve with the return of Sivakorn. Jaja is still a big question mark, but he finally got his scoring started and I hope that's a sign of things to come.

Q: So would you say the break did them a favour?
Yes. Prior to the break we looked thoroughly exhausted, unmotivated, and just overall unorganized on the pitch. I'll chalk that up to a long championship season, plus the added intensity of having to compete in the ACL. The break did us a favour by giving the new manager more time on the training pitch along with some much-needed rest for the players.

Q: How has being champions changed things at the club?
I don't think many things have changed. Chiang Rai, all of Northern Thailand really, is a proud region. There was always a belief in the team and seeing it come to fruition only strengthened the fan's resolve. I think there's a sense of pride among the squad that gives them a certain type of swagger on the pitch as well. If I had to mention any negative change, I'd say it's the worry of losing our best players to "bigger" clubs (whether in or out of Thailand).

Q: BG Pathum Utd seem to be many people's favourites for the title. As a fan of the current champions, what are your thoughts on this?
Port looked scary good at the start of the season, but hardly now. True Bangkok was on a great run, and now look at them. I think we're in for a lot of surprises and drama this season so it's too early to pick any real favorites. That said, I fancy BGPU to be a top club.

Q: It's been a crazy week for coaches in the TPL. Not that I'd like to see it, but what would it take for Masami Taki to resign or get sacked?
With our lackluster start to the season, I was already expecting him to be an early departure. But for now, it seems he's got a steady hold on the team and performances have improved. I'm not sure if Jaja was his idea or from the ownership, but he seems to be figuring out a decent role for him. I think it would take something truly catastrophic - a huge losing streak, slipping near the bottom of the table, etc. I think he will be safe as long as we finish mid-table or above. I don't think much is expected from him in the ACL, though I will consider a first-round exit (which seems likely) a disappointment.

Q: What are your thoughts on Chonburi this season?
I've not been too surprised. Just before the restart, I chose them as a team that will finish comfortably mid-table and I stand by that. I did really enjoy the recent win over True Bangkok.

Q: What are expectations for Sunday's match?
Depends on this weather we've had. Rain? Probably a chippy affair settled by a goal, maybe even just a penalty - and that could go either way. Clear skies? I think we are in for a great game. Chonburi will be looking for another smash-and-grab, but I think Chiang Rai can rely on their cohesion and quality to ensure a result.

Q: Which of our players are you most wary of?
Kritsada and Worachit looked great last weekend - they looked very creative and played off one another very well. Chiang Rai has always looked vulnerable to good counterattacking teams, and that's what I saw from Chonburi recently.

Q: Which of your players do we need to look out for?
Bill has been on a great run of form and I expect him to continue his good run in front of goal. Sivakorn is slated for a return which would be a huge boost for our attack as well. Other than that... we're a team of surprises. Ekanit has been suprisingly off form, Chotipat has been playing surprisingly well and has since leveled off, etc.

Q: Finally, would you care to make a score prediction?
2-1 to Chiang Rai Utd.

No comments:

Post a Comment