Thursday 8 October 2020

NEW!! Interview With Pat Comer: 2020

Interview with Chonburi fan, Pat Comer




How did you keep busy during the break?

I actually worked for most of the time. I had some forced days off but not too many compared to others. I have been back working full time in the office since May. We are lucky in Thailand in that the Gov. implemented strict controls from the begining and people in the main complied with the requirements. I increased my time on the bicycle looking for new routes around Chonburi and Bangsaen. I also did some gardening much to the annoyance of my wife.


What are the best things about having the football back?
Meeting my friends Val and Tim and having a good chat and natter at half time. Indeed the chat was so good during the first game we didn't go back inside for the second half. I always think of the movie "The Field of Dreams" when I walk up the steps and see the pitch looking great under the floodlights. In Ireland where I'm from the main sport is Gaelic Football and Hurling with Rugby / Soccer lower down the list. Most Gaelic football is played under natural light. I love the atmosphere of a match under floodlights. 

How do you think the Thai FA/TPL have handled the crisis?

As well as any other association around the world. One thing I find frustrating is the lack of communication both from the Thai FA and particularly Chonburi FC. I have never received a communicaiton from Chonburi FC. It would be nice to receive an odd email highlighting upcoming features and maybe transport to away matches etc,


What do you think they could or should have done differently?

More communication especially from Chonburi FC. Although both my wife and myself did receive lovely facemasks whcih were much appreciated.


How has the match going experience changed at Chonburi Stadium?

Not much to be honest, it's easier getting parking even on my motorcycle which is great.


What has the atmosphere been like at the home games since the restart?

The atmosphere is great even with less people attending the seats which are not available for sitting on are clearly marked.


Given the current restrictions, what can the club and the fans do to improve it?

I think the club are doing a good job. The people entereing are  controlled and temperature checked. One point I would make would be that maybe people who want to leave should have a different exit point and should not be expected to push against people entering the stadium. This is only a small gripe. The toilets are deplorable as always but I would have expected an adequate supply of soap to be available given the recommendations from various health bodies around the world in relation to fighting the virus.


When do you think it will get back to "normal"? 

I'm not sure will we ever revert back to the normal we grew up with. However once a vacinne is available and used worldwide we will go back to the old "norm" with some ommisions like hand shaking, hugging and kissing. 


How has the team performed since the restart?

We can't argue with the home games and even doing well away. Sitting third in the table is nice to see.


Which players have impressed you since the restart?

The goalie, Sinthaweechai Hathairattanakool, has played reallly well since the return. It is great to see a goalie juming and catching a ball over his head rather than punching it away.


What have been your highlights of the season so far?

The half time/second half  chat with Val and Tim during the first game game. I like the movemnet of the team since the return, they are playing with more confidence and are better on the ball.

What improvements do you think we need to make?

I'd love to see a couple of good midfielders who are capable of winning balls and creating time and space with through balls and good passing movements. I'd love to see players staying on their feet rathing than falling down hoping to get a free. Surely it is better to keep the ball alive rather than looking for a free kick which allows the opposition to organise themselves.



How do you think we will fare during the rest of the season?

I'm looking forward to the remaining games. I think we can approach them with confidence.


A lot of foreign fans on social media seem to be losing interest due to the restrictions, length of break etc. What would you say to get them going to matches again?

There is an Irish expression called "Craic" (crack). When you meet someone you often say "How's the Craic" which means how are things are you enjoying yourself. Craic is an all encompassing expression which goes beyond the core activity. In our case the craic at Chonburi Matches is greater that the actaul game itself. The preparation in advance, looking for and putting on the football shirt, driving to the game, meeting old friends, seeing smiling faces (before the game), sitting and having a beer and a chat. We can now bring beer into the stadium in paper cups which is great. The football is great also with lots of action, good movement and goals. All in all I can say "the craic is mighty".


Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I think  Chonburi FC should create a mailing list of season ticket holders and send out monthly emails which could inlcude:

1) Training schedule and location, if I'm off I'd love to attend and watch a training session.

2) A four week window of upcoming matches home and away

3) Travel arrangements available for away matches

4) Club promotions - anything happening from a commercial point of view.

5) Any club special offers , shirt selling, face mask, cycling shirts and shorts etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment