Wednesday 28 October 2020

NEW!! Interview With A Ratchaburi Fan: 2020

My pre match interview with Ratchaburi fan, Neal Oliver


The recent break hs been a pain for us all. How did you spend it?
I started off by doing absolutely nothing, and became a recluse.  I watched dozens of movies and generally became fatter and lazier.  Realising this would kill me, even if the virus didn’t, I found a couple of deserted places to walk.  I really took a likening to Khao Tao Lake, and walked the perimeter almost daily.  It was (still is) a beautiful walk and I become at one with nature during my daily walks.  It gave me a renewed purpose in life.

I also discovered Zoom.  I actually became more in touch with family and friends all over the world, and my son used it to teach his karate.  He not only kept his own club going, but his lessons were attended in England, Scotland, Wales, Spain, Hungary, Germany, India, Sri Lanka and Japan to name a few.


How do you think the TPL/FAT handled the crisis?
This was a very unique situation, never encountered anywhere before.  There was no template upon which to guide them, and they had to make it up as they went along.  I think they did things as well as they could.  I think a lot of luck was involved, but Thailand’s handling of the crisis was an example to the world.

If we talk about football specifically, I agree entirely that it had to stop when it did.  Re-vamping of the Thai football season should work out better.  If our close season is the same as Europe, it might be easier to attract better players i.e. they will be out of contract at the right time to try their luck in Asia..

The one that that has surprised me since the restart is the restricted stadium capacities.  Firstly we are regularly told how safe Thailand is in terms of the virus.   Then crowds are allowed back into stadiums in much reduced numbers, on the condition social distancing is strictly adhered to.  Social distancing is being abused in most stadiums, but no action is taken.  If a blind eye is being turned, why have any restrictions at all?  It seems absolutely crazy to restrict attendance at football stadiums, when thousands are allowed to protest daily on the streets of Bangkok.

As I write this, I see stadium capacities have increased to 50%.


What is the best thing about having the football back?
It gives meaning to the weekend again, and something to look forward to.


What are your thoughts on the way VAR is used in the TPL?
Do you really want to know?  OK, you’ve asked, time to get my soap box out and rant………
I hate it.  Last season’s cup final proved that it is far from perfect.  There were many dubious decisions. I am convinced Port FC bought the FA Cup last season, and it is their intention to buy the league title this season.

The system is managed by incompetent officials.  How can it work?  Don’t get me wrong, Ratchaburi have benefitted from what I consider to be the wrong decision several times this season, but I hate it.  I don’t want us to win through incompetent officials.  I’m probably old school, but a referee makes his decision, we question his parentage, and the game moves on.

With VAR, the referee puts his finger in his ear, and everything stops.  The referee repeatedly gestures to players to move away, whilst periodically putting his finger back in his ear.  Eventually, when the clowns in the control room are too afraid to make a decision, the referee draws an imaginary box in the air, and runs over to look at the TV himself.  Another few minutes later, he re-appears, draws another box in the air, and invariably makes the wrong decision.  Meanwhile, nobody knows how much time has been wasted.  However, be sure the time added on at the end of the half, will not reflect the time wasted by the referee poking himself in the ear.  Rugby has the right idea when the clock is stopped during such investigations.

VAR is killing football.


What are your thoughts on the new TV deal and the end of True's coverage?
Good riddance to True.  True have become too big for their boots, and it’s about time they were taken down a peg or two.

Unfortunately, I don’t know the detail of the new package, so can’t really comment.


How have Ratchaburi performed since the restart?
Ratchaburi have been playing some beautiful football all season, and you guys will get a footballing treat on Sunday.  Unfortunately, we’ve dropped a few points against some tough opposition and also Prachuap since the re-start, but pound for pound, I think we are the best footballing side in the league, and we have immense strength in depth.


Did the break do you a favour or has it hindered you?
Statistically, with a 100% record before the break, and dropping 8 points since the break, I guess the scientific answer is obvious. However, I expected to lose points at Muangthong and Chiang Rai, and I am very happy with performances both sides of the break.


What are your expectations for the rest of the season? 
This season’s Ratchaburi side is too strong not to finish in the top 4.  The squad is so strong, we have players that would be starring in most T1 sides, who can’t even get on the bench this season.

The big talk is being in the top 4 at the end of leg 1, and qualification for the Champions League.  To be honest, I couldn’t give 2 hoots about the Champions League.  Ratchaburi will not be good enough to win it, so why risk injuries etc.?  It isn’t as though supporters can go globetrotting to support their favourites at the moment.  I’d rather we concentrated on the domestic scene for now, and write our name on some domestic silverware, rather than chase the impossible (for now).


And what about the league in general?
BG are obviously going very strong.  With the recent acquisition of Diogo, they must be expecting big things.  Personally, I think he’s a stereo type whinging Brazilian, but you can’t doubt his goal scoring prowess.  As I’ve said already, I expect Port have bought the title this season after much dealing in the transfer market and their success in buying the FA Cup last season.  I find it highly amusing that they have forfeited 6 points through floodlight failure.  However, she has deep pockets, so will soon make up lost ground.  Rayong must be favourites to go down.  They have 2 useless Sumo Wrestlers for forwards.  I doubt the likes of Diogo would be very good at Sumo either.  I’m amazed they actually scored 2 goals against a team like Port.


What have been your impressions of Chonburi this season?
Chonburi?  Who are Chonburi?
Seriously, Chonburi are always a strong side, and I expect them to finish in the upper half of the league.  However, without actually having seen them play this season, I don’t feel qualified to say any more.


What are your expectations for Sunday's match?
I expect to see Chonburi playing a defensive game to prevent annihilation.  Ratchaburi have a very potent/entertaining attacking style this season.  Any team that does not respect that fact will suffer badly.


Which of our players are you most wary of?
I don’t know enough about the Chonburi squad to provide an informed answer. 

I don’t know why, but the Montenegrin Dragan Boskovic sounds familiar, I’m sure I’ve been impressed by him before. 


Which of your players do we need to look out for?
OMG, what a question.  We’ve got superstars coming out of our ears, where do I start?

Philip Roller, our captain, one of the league’s leading scorers, and he’s a full back.  Very powerful, very fast, and a killer shot.  He must challenge for the Thai National Team again soon.

Lossemy Karaboue.  Before he arrived, Ratchaburi had a lot of individual talents, but they rarely played as a team.  Since he has arrived, he has become the team’s engine room.  Every play goes through him.  He is what has turned Ratchaburi from a decent team to a great team.  By far, he is my favourite player.

Steeven Langil, is a magician on the ball.  He often makes defenders look stupid when they turn and chase a ball that is not there.  He has become known as Mr Assist this season, although he’s managed a few goals of his own of course.

I will stop at 3, but the team does not have any bad players now.  Even better, I believe you could remove any 5 from the current favoured 11, and still have a team that will give any team in the league a good run for their money.


What do you like most about a visit to Chonburi?
I have passed through, but never stopped in Chonburi.

I had every intention of coming to Sunday’s game, but a fellow Ratchaburi supporter has talked me out of it.  It is the very common Away Supporters syndrome at Chonburi.  Sit them as far from the action as possible, and charge top dollar for the privilege.  Chonburi’s stadium was not built for football, so as with all municipal stadiums, the bad seats are really, really bad.

It always amuses me when the tannoy announcer welcomes the team and its supporters to the stadium.  What they don’t say is, “We’re ripping you off by charging you top prices to sit in seats our own supporters wouldn’t be seen dead in.  By the way, if it rains, you’re going to get very wet, so enjoy your 5 hour drive home in soaking wet clothes.” Fortunately, I still had my VAR soapbox handy, so didn’t have to make a special effort to get it out.


Would you care to make a score prediction?
Chonburi 1 – 2 Ratchaburi


Is there anything else you'd like to add?
I’d like to say something nice about the Ratchaburi Coach, but as always, it is such a fluid situation, most of us don’t have a clue from one week to the next who is the current holder of the poison chalice.  Whatever, we have such an exciting team at the moment, we don’t need one.  Besides, it’s always fun at the end of the game to play ‘Spot the Coach’ and work out who it might be this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment