Thursday 21 January 2021

Interview With A BEC Tero Fan: 2016

My interview with BEC Tero fan, Martyn, from August, 2016


Please can you introduce yourself
My name is Martyn and I am originally from England, I have been in Thailand for 4 years and I am a teacher here.
 
How long have you been following BEC Tero and what first got you interested?
This is my 3rd year supporting Tero, but only really my second year of going regularly. The reason I started going was me and my friends really missed watching live football (in England) so we decided to start going to watch our local team . . . then we got hooked!
 
It now looks as if you've done enough to stay in the PLT, so what are your targets for the rest of the season?
My mate thinks that we should aim for a top 6 finish now the pressure is off, but I think that's a bit ambitious. After last season i'll be happy with a top half finish.
 
And next season?
Maybe that will be the top 6 finish . . .  or just happy to stay up again! Basically with the ownership situation it's impossible to say.
 
There was a lot of uncertainty surrounding the club last close season, how did you cope with that?
Haha, it was an interesting time, one week we were relegated, the next we weren't. Then we didn't know if there would even be a club there or not. In the end I just kinda accepted what will be will be, I was pretty happy just to have a club at all, then being in the Premier League was just an added bonus!
 
BEC Tero seem to get through quite a lot of head coaches, why do you think this is?
I think it's just mainly been out of frustration, I think after winning the League Cup a couple of seasons ago we felt we could push for the title. Then as last season was a disaster it has just seemed like a quick fix approach to sack the head coach, it happens in all leagues I guess.
 
What would you like to see happen with the head coach role?
I think we should see how we finish this season, if we can finish in the top half then stick with what we have got.
 
The club has a great history, do you think the glory days will ever return to BEC Tero?
Right now I can't see it, with the whole ownership situation with Muang Thong United if we ever put together a title contending side the top players would likely be 'sold' or 'loaned' to them. Until this changes then Tero's success is limited.

If you could give your chairman one piece of advice, what would it be?
Just remember what a great history the club has, we should not be anyone's feeder club.
 
Please sum up BEC Tero in a song or movie title?
Hello, Goodbye -by the Beatles after last seasons up, down, up down relegation situation
 
What are your overall impressions of the PLT this season?
It has been a very exciting season, and looking to get even more exciting at the top. I think the Muang Thong United/Bangkok United battle will go to the wire. It will also be interesting at the bottom, with Chainat starting to put up a fight it could spell trouble for the Swat Cats.
 
What are your expectations for Saturday's match?
I think it's safe to say it depends on which Tero turn up and which Chonburi turn up. If it's the same Tero that lost to Bangkok Glass a few weeks ago we would be lucky to keep it below 5. However, I'm going to be confident and say 2-1 Tero, I think with the pressure is off and and with an in form striker I think we can nick it
 
Which Tero players should we be wary of and why?
Well Lukasz has come in from Ratchaburi and and made a great start, him and Milan seem to be working well together, so hopefully it's the start of something good!
 
What are your impressions of Chonburi this season?
I have only caught a few games, but it seems it depends which Chonburi turn up. I was expecting Chonburi pushing for top 3 or 4 again, so I've been a little surprised.
 
Can you close by giving us one interesting fact about your club or stadium that we may not know.
They sell the tastiest chicken and rice dish (the flavour changes every week) I've ever had in Thailand. 40 baht near the the Zone D turnstiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment