Saturday 30 January 2021

NEW!! My Favourite Match by Russ John: 2021

My Favourite Match
by Russ John

TPL 
Nakhon Ratchasima FC 1-1 Buriram Utd
11th July, 2015 
Attendance 34,659.

Introduction
A hot day, and one of those "I was there" moments. I remember well the shock and horror of entering the 80th Anniversary stadium at my customary one hour before kick off only to be confronted by a stadium completely bereft of empty seats...



10th July
The story began the day before. Rumours of a big crowd for the local derby began to surface and talk of tickets on sale at a certain time later that day.

Panic and a 70 km drive to the stadium. Inevitably upon arrival, no tickets on sale but a swirling mass of confused punters. I resignedly trudged back to the car. The fact that I was about to miss out on the very match that I have been dreaming about began to dawn on me. Pissed off, ticketless and an unfortunate reminder of the last time I was locked out of a football match - the infamous 1972 Wolves v Leeds United match in which the home team beat Leeds to deny them the English title.

I had, in all of the confusion, become detached from my beloved other half. Unbeknownst to me she had wandered off, just as she does every week in Tesco. To my amazement she returned clutching two orange coloured pieces of paper - 2 tickets for tomorrow's game in zone W. I was absolutely gobsmacked. To show my appreciation, I pressed a 100 baht note into her hand. "Go and buy a new frock, teerak", I whispered in polite appreciation.



11th July - matchday
An hour before kick off, don't be daft, that's way too early to go in, let's have one last beer...I should have known. Tell tail signs, full car park, unusual number of fans swirling around outside the stadium.

The sight awaiting us on exit from the main concourse was truly awe inspiring. Before us, like teeming ants, a crowd of 34 000 plus had amassed, many standing, most eating. It was eerily quiet as if the fans were patiently waiting for the battle yet to come. Finding a seat was mission impossible but fortunately my ample 1.95 metre height ensured a decent view from a gangway on the half way line. 

All of a sudden, a flash appeared of myself and drunken friends cascading down the North Bank Molineux until brought to a halt, in abdominal pain, by a metal barrier. The thought quickly evaporated as I was showered by a mixture of spittle and Chang beer as the crowd erupted at the sight of the teams coming out.

Needless to say at my age and with my creaky old back being buffeted and shoved around throughout the game by burly young Thai guys meant that the actual match was uncomfortable but I suppose enjoyable, but oh how I yearned for my usual bourgeois padded seat in the VIP section!!

Oh, by the way, a nice competitive match, which ended amicably in a 1-1 draw - a day of infamy had come and gone, a point apiece and...I was there!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment