Thursday 21 January 2021

Interview With Matt Smith: 2016

My May, 2016 interview with Bangkok Glass captain, Matt Smith



Q - First off: How are you and how are you enjoying life in Thailand?
We are really enjoying our time in Thailand. My family and I adapted very well to the Thai lifestyle and have truly settled. 

Q – So, is there anything you miss about "home"?
There are always things that you think about, obviously friends and family, but on the whole, we enjoy living and being in Thailand. If we didn't I wouldn't have extended my contract. 

Q - How do you feel the season has gone for Bangkok Glass so far?
I feel we have started well, the same as last year. Our biggest problem last season was consistency and so far it is too early to tell if this will be the case again. I am happy with the performances on the whole and feel we are better than last year. But also, I believe we have a lot of opportunities and need to improve if we want to have a strong year. 

Q - And for you personally?
So far, I feel OK. I am always looking to improve and to help the team both on and off the pitch. 

Q – What about the opening rounds of the PLT?
The league itself hasn't thrown up too many surprises. The teams that I thought would be competing, are. Sukhothai are the exception and have exceeded my expectation thus far. However, there is a long way to go. 

Q - What are your expectations for the rest of the season?
My expectations for Bangkok Glass are to consistently improve and perform better. I do not focus on the league table or the position of other teams. I want to see progression. The league table will take care of itself if we perform well. 
 
Q - From the outside, Bangkok Glass appears to be a very well run club. What is it like to be a part of?
I was told when I was considering the offer to come to Bangkok Glass that it was a well run and professional club. I have to say that the way the club is run has exceeded my expectations. The vision and approach from within the club is progressive and exciting and another big reason why I extended my contract, to build and be part of something. 

Q - How does it compare to other clubs you've been at?
It compares very well, like the above answer, the resources and capabilities of the club match those in Australia. 

Q - If you could change one thing at the club, what would it be? 
I don't think I would change anything about the club. Like I mentioned, the support staff, ownership and structure works well. At any given moment there are always employees, contractors in or around the club making improvements, which fills me with motivation. 

Q - What kind of relationships do you enjoy with the chairman, manager and fans?
I enjoy the relationships I have with all those stakeholders. I feel I have a good relationship with Pavin (President and Owner), Supasin (Vice President) and June (coach). I am quite open and honest about how I see things and feel they support myself and the players in aiming to be successful. As for the fans, we have a good following. Since I have been at the club, they come in good numbers both home and away, and are very vocal. As a player it's great playing in front of good crowds. 

Q - Have you been able to interest your team mates in any aspects of British or Australian culture?
I feel that by living in Thailand I wish to learn more about the Thai culture and live it respectfully. I consider and do bring in behaviours and attributes from a professional perspective in football, where I see fit and appropriate. 

Q - I know from my own experiences that Aussies are very competitive. How do you cope with seemingly more laid back approach of the locals? Or is this a false impression?
I think it’s a grey area of consideration. The Australian lifestyle is very laid back and enjoyable. However, there is no mistake that when it comes to sport, they are extremely competitive. Being born and spending 25 years in England, I also have the competitiveness from those years of experience. 
 
Q - I'm not a fan of pre match huddles (probably my age!). Please can you explain what their purpose is and what gets said. 
Yes, probably your age! There are a few pre match huddles here in Thailand. One with the whole coaching staff, president or Vice President and the team. This is the last words from these people. Then on the pitch before kick off this is an opportunity for anybody in the starting eleven to say what they wish. There is no limit to what they want to say or include. I, as captain, will have the last words about the game ahead and then off we go. I like the element of this part, especially whereby I want players to take ownership of their roles in the squad and the team. I endorse an open environment that it doesn't matter, young, old, experienced or not. Everybody can have a say and feel comfortable. 

Q - What will you be doing on the bus drive down from Bangkok?
Writing these answers!
 
Q - What have been your impressions of Chonburi this season?
I haven't been able to watch many live matches of Chonburi, but have seen the highlights. I have a lot of respect for the team and know that we will have to be at our best if we are able to get anything from the game. 

Q - Which Chonburi players are you most wary of and why?
We obviously know a lot about Narong from his time with us last season. He is a good player. Also, your new striker from Navy – Rodrigo - I feel is a decent player. On the whole, there are good players and we will not be taking any player lightly. However, we focus on Chonburi as a team and follow our preparation knowing the strengths and weaknesses of it. 

Q - What are your expectations for Saturday's match?
Again, I expect it to be an entertaining match. Both teams like to attack and are capable of scoring goals. It's the third match of the week so I'm expecting some changes from both sides. 

Q - Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Only to thank you for your time and effort and asking decent questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment