Saturday 1 April 2023

New! Pre Match Interview With The Blogger (Sukhothai): 2023

I have been sent some questions by Sukhothai fan, Bill Giles, ahead of Tuesday's match. Here are my replies: 


I was asked to record an inspirational message for the players and I said, ‘We are Firebats, not Sharks, act accordingly and we will be fine.’ What inspirational message would you give to your team?
I'd start by reminding them of the club's rich history and how it is an honour for them to be wearing the shirt with the badge on their chest (even though I'm not a fan of the current crest and much prefer the original!). Then I'd impress on them that there are fans out there who have taken time off work, made the effort to travel (long distances for some games) and spent good money to come and watch them. I'd end by telling them to go out to enjoy themselves and entertain. It's not a lot to ask, is it!


What reaction did you have to our draw in Chonburi? 
I was disappointed to concede such a late equaliser. We'd pretty much dominated the game and should have been out of sight by then so that made it even more frustrating. In fact, we seem to have thrown away a lot of points already this season. The matches against Buriram Utd (H), Bangkok Utd (H) and Nongbua Pichaya (A) immediately spring to mind. Maybe I should add be more confident, play to the final whistle and don't lose concentration, to my team talk.


What result do you expect from our match on Tuesday?
The way we have been playing in the second leg, I can only see a home win. Our recent form has been so poor. I'm completely baffled how we've gone from genuine runners-up contenders to a team that will struggle to finish in the top half. It's mystifying and we need to address the slide, starting on Tuesday. Right now, I'd settle for a draw, but a win would do us the world of good going into the run in.


Firebats and Sharks are acceptable mascots. If you were a Nakhon Ratchasima supporter, describe your mascot. 
Thai clubs do seem to have a penchant for cartoon style crests. Personally, I'm not a fan. Our old badge is a hundred times better than the current toothpaste one and many more clubs had smarter insignia in the past. As for Nakhon Ratchasima, I'm not really sure what's going on there. The name Swat Cat immediately conjures up images of the TV cartoon series and their mascot doesn't do anything to dispel that.


What is the best away ground that you have visited? 
I'm not really sure that I have a favourite. I like visiting any ground in Thailand. There's always something to enjoy. I could mention the much missed PTT Stadium in Rayong, The BG Stadium, Ratchaburi, and yours, but there are plenty of others that could be on the list. Sorry, that's a bit of a cop out.


What is the worst away ground that you have visited?
As above, I don't really consider any ground to be the worst. Every "stadium" in Thailand has some quirky feature that adds to its charm. Whether it's a purpose built, state of the art facility - like Ratchaburi - or a run down farmer's field without anything that remotely resembles a stand - Bang Phra. I love the variety.


Thailand restricts the use of foreign players to encourage the development of national talent. Could this policy be useful in Europe?
I can understand why it happens here and am a firm believer that Thai clubs should only sign foreign players who are better than what is available locally (usually strikers!) and/or can pass on the benefit of their experience. This way everyone gains something, with the domestic game still very much in its infancy. However, I fully support freedom of movement, so in Europe, where the game is much more advanced, I don't see any benefits at all to introducing such a policy.


Chiang Mai used to have a mascot, cheerleaders and a match day programme. Should these be brought back?
I'm a huge fan of the old style, human in a giant costume mascots. Don't ask me why. I can't really explain it, but I love them. I think they add a bit of fun to the proceedings. And programmes are a must. It was great when Thai clubs started producing them. I have quite a collection from those glory years. Sadly, the vast majority now seemed to have stopped. I can only think of Muang Thong Utd who still bother. Such a shame. As for cheerleaders, I can probably live without those. I think the crowd should be responsible for creating the atmosphere.


Owners and match day coaching decisions. Please discuss.
In my humble opinion, club owners shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the dugout. They should stick to their VIP boxes in the stand and leave the coaching to the coaches. The clue is in the name. I've always been grateful that our chairman - who, by his own admission, knows very little about football - keeps out of the way and lets the professionals get on with their job. Other clubs aren't so lucky...


Television coverage of the game in Thailand is perhaps not the best. Do you have any suggestions for improvements?
It could certainly be a lot better. I'd start by trying to ensure that live televised matches didn't clash with each other and other fixtures. Some thought needs to be put into scheduling. Maybe introduce a Friday night live game and a Monday night live game to supplement the weekend programme. In addition, I'd have a well produced, and presented, highlights show and offer an English language commentary option. And the whole lot would be on free TV and available worldwide on the internet. It's pretty simple really. I am available if anyone from the league, FAT and TV companies are reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment