Tuesday 9 February 2021

NEW!! Interview With A Muang Thong Utd Fan: 2021

My pre match interview with Muang Thong Utd fan, Rick


Please can you introduce yourself 
Hi Dale, my name is Rick. I am 42 years old and I come from Singapore.


How did you become interested in Thai football and why did you start supporting Muang Thong Utd?
I am a football fan and my wife is Thai so the interest in Thai league football came quite naturally. My wife is a supporter of Buriram United so my support for Muangthong Utd came naturally as well!! And I am glad I made the decision of supporting MTU.


What are your thoughts on Muang Thong Utd's performance so far this season?
I am happy with Muangthong's performance considering the fact that the club is in transition. Although we are not fighting for the league title, the football has been a real joy to watch since Mario's arrival. Watching the academy players coming into the first team is a real bonus as well. The club had a vision of promoting youth this season and the young players' performances have been encouraging thus far.


What are you expectations for the rest of it?
My expectations would be a top 6 finish in the league and probably a semi final slot in the FA Cup.


How does it feel to have club legend, Mario Djurovski, come back as head coach?
The feeling is great. Everyone loves a Hollywood story come true: legendary player comes back to coach and win titles with the club he loves.


What were your initial thoughts when he was appointed?
My initial thoughts to Mario being head coach were a little shocking, to say the least. He had very little time and experience in coaching and he was promoted to senior team head coach in a flash. I have to admit I thought he would have a rough time in the senior team, but he has proved his critics wrong so far.


How do you think he has performed so far?
Mario has proved himself to be a capable coach, but I feel that he has shown his qualities as a motivator. The players that he inherited from coach Gama are pretty much the same, but they have shown much more motivation on the field and that has delighted the fans.


What kind of future do you think he has as a coach?
Mario's future as a head coach is promising. His reputation as a player, and now as a coach, will always be an added advantage. He has not shown any weakness or fear when facing more experienced coaches and he has been capable in terms of tactics and strategy. However, it remains to been seen if he can do it in the long run. It might still be early days, but he is a very marketable person and other club owners might like that X factor in him, but we all know Mario's " mia noi " is Muangthong Utd and it would be hard to see him with another club in the near future.


What do you think your club needs to do long term to assure a return to the glory days?
We need to continue the academy footpath to ensure the supply of young footballers and the club needs retain a few club legends, be it coaches or players, to inspire the young players. Last, but not least, getting a good sponsor is vital. We all know how important money is these days in the world of football. As for the fans...I believe there is still great support being given to the club right now.


What have been your impressions of Chonburi so far this season?
Chonburi surprised most people at the start of the season, with some great results, but the start/stop season due to Covid-19, probably disrupted the momentum. Hopefully, the new foreign additions will get them going again, but the prize asset of Chonburi right now, in my opinion, would be coach Sasom. He has shown that he is willing to take risks and stick to his principles. He is somewhat different to other Thai coaches, who seem to have the fear of losing games and refuse to play entertaining football.


What are your expectations for Thursday's match?
I expect thursday's El Classico to be an exciting match, full of attacking football. Both coaches are not the boring sort. I think it will end in a 2-2 draw.


Which of our players are you most wary of?
I can't say I know much about Chonburi players, but I choose Durosinmi, for the fact that he will be eager to prove himself once again. Although I must say that Chonburi's new additions have added more physical prowess and that worries me because Muangthong do not have much physical strength in our defence. We need to be wary of Chonburi's set pieces on Thursday.


Which of your players do we need to look out for?
Look out for Sardor Mirzaev. He is a quality player who can pass, dribble and shoot well. He is showing some great form at the moment.


How do you think the FAT/TPL have handled to current situation?
I think the FAT/TPL have done their best in handling the current situation. If we look at the footballing world right now, some leagues have gone on to cancel their entire season. I am glad that FAT/TPL made an effort to continue delivering football to the fans in the comfort of their own homes.


Do you think they could have done anything differently?
I don't think they could have done much more, but from the September restart maybe they should have allowed more fans into the stadium, as the covid situation back then was not serious at all. Also, more fans in grounds might have helped some clubs financially, especially in the lower divisions.


What are your feelings on the current ruling of no fans in the ground?
I am sure fans have been frustrated with the disruption of the league, but I don't think that has caused a loss of interest. If they are willing to take the risk right now, I would say 25% of capacity for red zones and maybe 50% for safe zones.


Is there anything else you'd like to add?
I would like to give a shout-out to all the wonderful people like yourself Dale and the fantastic 4 from Thai League Central, for giving me great information on the Thai league. All these accounts started out due to your passion for Thai football. And not forgetting my MTU buddies on Twitter, Grant Aitken and Stephen Romary. Last but not least, keep up the good editing work, guys, and stay safe !!

No comments:

Post a Comment