Sunday 10 November 2019

Bye Bye Chonburi: Why I Won't Be Renewing My Season Ticket by Klaus Liedecke: 2012

Bye Bye Chonburi: Why I Won't Be Renewing My Season Ticket
Interview with Klaus Liedecke (December, 2012)


Q - What is your name?
A - Klaus Liedecke (Lulu)

Q - How long have you been supporting Chonburi?
A - Since around 2008, I think!

Q - Which was the first match you went to?
A - Chonburi was playing Chula.

Q - What were your impressions at that match?
A - It was good fun. We went with a big bunch of people and drank a lot of beers. I think we paid about 40 THB to get in.

Q - What encouraged you to start going regularly to watch Chonburi?
A - It was definitely the friendly atmosphere in there, and how the people welcomed me to watch football with them just like I did in Europe back then. It’s incredibly important to me to be close to the game, the players, the club.

Q - What are your happiest memories of supporting Chonburi?
A - My two highlights would be when Chonburi won at Muang Thong over Christmas, and when they won the Kor Royal Cup against Buriram.United.

Q - Which stadium used by Chonburi do you prefer the most?
A - It’s IPE, because it was the biggest, and there were no single seats. If they put some effort in and built a  roof and quality stands along the open side, it could be an amazing stadium! I recall that school kids were selling drinks inside the stadium, which is a good idea for everyone, because the crowd doesn’t get thirsty and the club can earn some extra cash!

Q - How long have you been a season ticket holder?
A - For three years now.

Q - Why did you become a season ticket holder?
A - I bought mine when Chonburi moved into the new stadium, since it is impossible to sit together with your friends who are also season ticket holders if you don’t have a season ticket because you can’t choose freely where to sit anymore. Unfortunately, this means that I will not bring friends who don’t have season tickets in as often as I used to, because we can’t sit together if they don’t hold a season ticket.


 Q - What did the club get wrong last season?
A - As I mentioned before, the fact that you sit on single seats really brings the atmosphere down. Groups don’t get new members as easily anymore since you can’t stand together. The 250 Chula United fans, were much louder than the rest of the stadium put together when they played in Chonburi. I think that says it all! It’s a shame that the club either doesn’t realise all this, or doesn’t really care.

Also, to generally ban food and drinks in the stadium is really not the way forward! I understand that the club had to act after the stadium was closed following the trouble during the Buriram match but banning all food and drink from inside the stadium is completely the wrong way to respond. I have watched football in over thirty countries all around the world and I have never come across anything like this.

The move to Nike is an absolute disaster as well. How can they charge Thai fans such horrendously high prices for merchandising? 

Q - What are the main reasons for you not renewing your season ticket?
A - I had high hopes that they would allow drinks back in the stadium this season, and I don’t mean alcohol, although it’s nice to watch football and have a beer…It’s a German tradition. Beer and BBQ sausages are as indispensable to a German football fan as Fish and Chips are to English ones, but even if they only allowed us to drink water from one of those plastic bags, I would be back in! I have to think of my health, and at an average 36 degrees Celsius, they can’t have people be without water for two hours! But the club doesn’t seem to care.

Q - Would anything make you change your mind about renewing your season ticket?
A - Well, my girlfriend has been nagging me for a while now, she loves Chonburi and doesn’t want to accept my decision.

Q - Which was your favourite away trip last season and why?
A - Without a doubt, most definitely when Chonburi played in the League Cup in SamutPrakan. They have a really nice small stadium and the home fans were happy that they didn’t play the match in Ayuthaya, as had been suggested. I also really enjoyed the fixture in Phetchaburi. They have amazing scenery, and the area is generally really nice. I stayed there for 3 days, that area is definitely worth a trip.

Q - Where could Chonburi learn from as regards to how they treat their fans?
A - Just have a look at the Thai National Team! They went back to a Thai company (Grand Sport) for their kits, so prices are affordable again! And at both Rajamangala and Supapalashai you can drink in the stadium!

Q - What would you do if you were in charge of Chonburi FC?
A - I would make sure that the club cares for its fans more. The fans are the backbone of any club, and should never be forgotten! So in more detail:
1. Change the sports kit provider,
2. Free choice of seating in 70% of the stadium,
3. Allow sale of food and drinks,
4. An English page in the matchdayprogramme,
5. Announcements in English over the PA
6. Further extensions to the IPE stadium and then return there once finished.


 Q - Were you happy with the team's performance last season?
A - When it’s clear that you won’t be the champion, then it’s wise to try for a cup win, like Buriram United did. Chonburi’s coach doesn’t seem to have a clue what he’s doing, and certainly set completely wrong targets!

Q - What will you do with your time now you won't be coming to watch Chonburi?
A - There are plenty of small but great clubs and stadiums, that are all waiting to be visited. At the moment, I have been going to watch the AFF cup games. Football is here to stay, and I will continue to watch games, just not in Pattaya.

Q - Why is this a better option?
A - Because I will enjoy it more and because I feel I am not being taken advantage of.

Q – Finally, is there anything that you would like to say to the club's management?
A - Take a step back and concentrate on the roots of sport. Think of your fans and make fair and genuine decisions. And beware: The way you are going about things at the moment, Chonburi is going downhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment