Sunday 24 November 2019

Interview With Kellen Rauch: 2015

In 2014, Kellen Rauch spent a few months working in Chonburi. During that time, he managed to make a couple of trips to watch the Sharks. Here are his impressions of those visits, which he shared with me when I interviewed him in August, 2015.


Q - Please can you introduce yourself
My name is Kellen, I'm 24 years old and I'm from the USA. I was a teacher in Chonburi, but now I'm a teacher in Shanghai, China.

Q - What first brought you to Chonburi?
I found a job on Craigslist that said my school would be 20 minutes from the beach. I then found out the beach was Bang Saen so after going in the water once, I never did that again.

Q - Where were you working Chonburi?
I worked at a primary school in Prathom 5.

Q - How long did you stay there?
8 months

Q - What were your impressions of the city and the area?
Chonburi is great. I enjoyed living in a small city that isn't touristy at all. Pattaya, on the other hand, is the worst place of all time.

Q - How did you hear about Chonburi FC?
I drove by the stadium everyday to work.

Q - Why did you decide to go to a match?
I love soccer and tickets were only 100 baht!

Q - How many matches did you attend?
Two in the stadium and a few at The Bazaar near Chonburi Central Plaza.

Q - Which was your favourite match and why?
My favorite was my first match because CFC had an opportunity to win the league if they won and got some help with results from other matches, but unfortunately they dropped two points by drawing with ToT.

Q - What were your first impressions of the stadium?
The stadium is exactly what I would have expected. Small stadium with promotional beer girls dancing and pretending like they know the first thing about soccer... but they don't.

Q - What did you think about the facilities at the ground?
They're okay. I used to work out at the park that the stadium is in. They're nothing special but they're not bad either.

Q - Did you buy anything from the club shop?
I bought a Chonburi FC sticker and it's stuck to the cover of my Macbook as I type. The club shop is quite nice, I might add.

Q - In which part of the stadium did you sit?
Supporters' section in the Scoreboard End of course!

Q - What did you think about he atmosphere inside the ground?
During the important match at the end of the season is was great. There were more people admitted than there were seats, so of course it was quite difficult to move but the atmosphere was awesome.

Q - What were your favourite things about attending matches at Chonburi Stadium?
A night out with friends.

Q - And your least favourite?
No beer allowed in the stadium... seriously? What kind of rule is that?

Q - What were your impressions about the standard on the pitch?
By my standard, average. None of the players I saw would make it in top flight European leagues, but they are still very good players and going to a game is 100% worth the 100 baht.

Q - How did it compare to what you are used to watching?
It's a growing league in a growing country so comparing it to the top European leagues and even Major League Soccer in the USA isn't fair.

Q - Which Chonburi players impressed you the most and why?
I'm not completely sure but the second game I went to was run through #9 (Kirati). He was the playmaker and got by far the most touches on the ball.

Q - If you ever find yourself back in Thailand, would you like to go to another match?
Absolutely! If I get back into training I'd like to go to a tryout! I am a former Division 1 player in the USA and I'm pretty confident I could be better than the Chonburi FC goalkeeper. When I saw him play he looked very shaky!

Q - What would you say to encourage people to go and watch Chonburi FC?
I love soccer but a lot of my friends don't and I'm pretty sure they had more fun than I did because they had never experienced an outrageous supporters' section before!

No comments:

Post a Comment