Tuesday 1 October 2019

Interview With Sven Beyrich: 2010

Sven Beyrich is the webmaster at www.thai-fussball.de. In July, 2010, I interviewed him about his trip to Thailand, his thoughts on the local game and Chonburi's chances for the rest of the season. You can read our conversation below. 



Q - What is your name and where do you come from? 
My name is Sven and I am from Germany. Originally I come from a small town called Colditz, near Leipzig, but I have lived in Munich for the past ten years. 

Q - How long have you been following Thai football? 
I have been following Thai football since the beginning of the 2008 season. 

Q - What first got you interested in Thai football? 
At the End of 2007 I started to work for a FIFA-Manager fan website and I did some database work for them. As I used to spend my holidays in Thailand it was logical for me to work on a database patch for Thailand. And it was much more interesting to do that, instead of working on all the countries which are usually providedfor on this particular PC Game. 

Q- Which was the first match you saw? 
I was actually aware of Thai football earlier than 2008 because I had been spending my holidays in Thailand since about 2002. But, as you know, information about the local football scene was tough to find in those days. However, the first game I watched in Thailand was the international friendly between Thailand and Germany in 2004. My first league match was in 2008. It was Chonburi vs Samut Songkhram. Thanks to you, by the way. 

Q - Please can you tell us a bit about your website and your involvement with the Wikipedia pages. 
Well, I started www.thai-fussball.de in October 2009. It was around the time when lots of other sites, like yours, were springing up. As I already had accumulated a deep knowledge about the local game through my work at the Wikipedia, I thought it might be not a bad idea do to a website about Thai football in German. There are a lot of Thais living here in Germany and also in Switzerland and Austria. They might be able to speak Thai, but most of them are not able to read Thai. And of course you have a big German community in Thailand itself. But the basic idea was simply to promote the Football in Thailand. I think this is something we all try to do with our respective websites. 

Regarding Wikipedia when I started the work for the FIFA-Manager fan website, I needed to do a lot of essential investigation about players and clubs for the database. It was during my search for information that I noticed that Wikipedia contained very little about Thai football. Therefore, I had the idea to share my collected knowledge. I started the English language Wikipedia pages with Adam Drury, an Englishman who is also a keen follower of Thai football. I added the German language version later on.

Q - You recently watched a couple of Chonburi matches. What did you think about...
(a) The team?
Chonburi is surely one of the best teams in Thailand. They really have a great quality in the squad, mainly because of their national team players. On the other hand, I like the fact that the team contains young lads as well and they are given a chance to play in TPL, in order to gain experiance and match practice. Chonburi also has one of the best coaches in TPL. They have a solid defence who do a great job, which is not so common in the League. But, as seen during recent games, it looks like they really miss Pipob. I think they are lacking a bit in the strikeforce. And sometimes Sinthaweechai can cause headaches! 

(b) The fans?
Frankly speaking, I don’t think there is much of a difference from fans of other clubs in Thailand. Everywhere you go, you are likely to receive a warm welcome from local fans and you will soon feel a part of them.A part of the family. And that is really a nice feeling. During halftime at the Navy Rayong v Chonburi match (5th June), a young Thai spoke to me. He said that we had met up during the Muang Thong v Chonburi match (28th May) but, unfortunately, I really couldn't remember him. I still feel sorry about that. Nevertheless, I can say that Chonburi fans are really helpful, in every respect. And morons, you can find everywhere.

(c) The matchday experience?
The matchday experience, like the fans, is nearly the same everywhere you go in Thailand. It's wonderful. I really love it. I watched 6 games during my recent visit, and I couldn't get enough of it. I have seen a lot of matches in my life but the experience in Thailand is really great. It is the kind of mixture you can find there with whole families going out to watch the game together. Nearly everybody is wearing their team colours. It is a very friendly atmosphere, with the fans singing and supporting their club nearly the whole time. One thing that is different about Chonburi are the big fire crackers the lads like to set off in front of the stadium before each match. I've never seen this before. 




A negative point for me is all that construction waste and mud you can find at some stadiums. You are even able to find construction tools. People could easily grab them, and use them to hurt someone. So, in this case, I think it is maybe better to allow firecrackers inside the stadium, instead of having such kind of tools lying around. I also would like to see a standard regulation for all stadiums in regards to your drinks. You never know in advance whether you can take your beer into the stadium or not. And, if you can, are you allowed bottles, glasses, cans or plastic cups? You never know!

Q - What were the biggest differences you noticed from the last time you watched a Chonburi home match? 
There weren’t many differences. The overall experience was nearly the same, except you now have a few more chants and a big shark flag. The game I watched in 2008 (0-0 v Samut Songkhram on the 4th October) was nearly sold out, and this time it was sold out again. The access to the players has changed, as now you have wait for them behind barriers outside the main entrance. I like this idea. It stops everyone running on to the pitch but it’s still possible to get autographs and take pictures with them. You still have the chance to get close to your lads. The only thing I missed were the firecrackers inside the stadium.

Q - Who is your favourite Chonburi player? And why?
There are a few. Pipob,Therdsak, Michael and recently the young lad Phuritad Jarikanon. He is really a young promising player. Pipob has always amazed me, right from the first time I saw him play. He is a small guy, but with a huge presence on the field. I like his dynamic. And his fully trained body is simply amazing. Therdsak is an old rascal, always going forward and with great ideas and lots of ability. He really understands the game. Michael is very popular with the fans. Everybody loves him. The kids are crazy about him. He is really smart and a nice guy. He may be a superstar in the league, but he’s still very down to earth. He is very professional but he’s not playing only for the money he gets. He really cares about Chonburi. 

Q - Do you think we can win the league this season? If we don't, who will?
Last week I would have said definitely not. The situation has now changed a bit with Muang Thong surprisingly losing to Police United. I think the championship will be battled out between Muang Thong and Chonburi. There is no doubt about that. However, I don’t think that this is a good thing for the league as a whole. If you have 4 or 5 clubs challenging for the title, it would be better for the whole league. I still think Muang Thong will it again. Compared to the Chonburi strike force, they have more quality in depth, even though Yaya will leave the club. And, as this year goal difference will decide between teams on equal point, Muang Thong have the advantage.

Q - Which other Thai teams and players have impressed you?
I’ve been impressed by different ones. I’ve seen several of the Army’s games on the internet and I am impressed by their playing style. They also have no foreigners in the squad. And for that I have to give kudos. 

Valci Junior from Sisaket impressed me during the first few games he played for Sisaket. They can play brilliantly up front, but lack in defence. Somjet Sattabud from Navy Rayong is a great midfielder with a lot of skill. Sutee Suksomkit, even though he hasn't performed well in some games for Bangkok Glass, I rarely missed any games when he was playing for Melbourne Victory. Even though I had to get up early in the morning. 

And last, but not least, Kawin. I have to admit that I am a big fan of goalkeepers. Kawin is really the future. He will become the best goalie in Asia if he keeps on track. I am really sure. He has everything that a goalie needs nowadays. Same as Hassan Sunny from Singapore. I really would love to see Kawin playing in the German Bundesliga. And I think he really could cope at that level.

Q - What did you enjoy most about your recent trip?
The thing I enjoyed most was meeting up with old friends like you. But also making new ties and meeting guys like Andy, Tobi and Lulu. Not to mention all the Thai lads I met up with and talked to. However, I was really excited to meet (Chonburi Technical Development Director) Witthaya Hloagune by chance, as he is the only Thai to have played in the Bundesliga so far. 



Q - Do you prefer watching football in Germany or in Thailand?
I enjoy both. Of course if you have Bayern Munich and one of the best leagues in the world on your doorstep, like I do, you are spoiled by the high level of football. But I don't really like the Allianz Arena, or all those new stadiums we have in Germany. They all look the same! There is also a big distance between the players and the fans compared to Thailand. So, if you I like to watch high quality football, I’d say I’d prefer Germany. But if you like to have a unique experience, in atmosphere, matchday experience, fun and enjoying a match, I’d go for Thailand. The level of quality on the pitch isn’t always what’s important for me.

Q - German beer or Thai beer?
Here I have to be 100% German. The varieties of German beer are far superior. But I always love to have my Chang, Leo or Singha.

Q - German food or Thai food?
I like both. Roots are roots. I couldn't live without the typical German plain fare we are known for. However, if I am in Thailand, sure I always enjoy Thai food.

Q - Anything else you'd like to add?
Yes, the World Cup 2010 has just ended. We would all love to see Thailand playing in the tournament at sometime in the future.But I think one of the first steps towards achieving this would be to cut down the new foreign player rule in the TPL. There are a lot of young and talented Thai kids out there but if they have 7 foreigners ahead of them, and no chance to play, it doesn't make sense. During my recent stay I saw some foreign players who were really poor quality. It would be better to give the young talented Thais a chance. Look at how England and Italy, two domestic leagues with lots of foreign players, ended up at the World Cup!


No comments:

Post a Comment