Thursday 3 October 2019

Interview With Two Muang Thong Utd Fans: 3rd October, 2009

Ahead of "The Biggest Game in Thai League History", I interviewed Matt Riley and Greg Hill, two Muang Thong Utd fans. Here's what they had to say:



Me - What is your name and where do you come from?
M - I'm Matt and I come from England.
G - My name is Greg and I'm from Southampton in England.

Me - Where do you live now?
M - I currently live in Don Meung.
G - I'm living in Bang Yai, Nonthaburi.

Me - How long have you been in Thailand?
M - I've been here for ten years.
G - About five years.

Me - How long have you been supporting Muang Thong United?
M - I've been supporting Muang Thong United for one year.
G - A very short time - about two months. But I'm already hooked.

Me - How did you first become aware of MTUFC? 
M - A friend of mine took me to a game.
G - Actually it was through an advert for Bangkok United in the 'Bangkok Post'. Seeing them marketed as a proper team made me realise the TPL had changed since I last looked. I did a quick internet search and discovered MTU was my local team so I decided to take a look.

Me - Which was your first match? 
M - I can't remember. One Leo too many!
G - At home to Bangkok Glass. We won 1- 0.

Me - Which has been your most memorable match supporting Muang Thong? 
M- The recent victory against Bangkok Glass.
G - The last one against Samut Songkhram. I made new friends, watched an exciting game with a remarkable 'walk off' protest by the away team and stood in the pouring rain as we scored two world class goals. I then had to make my way home in a flood.

Me - Do you travel to away games? 
M - Yes.
G - I went to one and certainly plan to go to more.

Me - Which has been your favourite away trip? 
M - The trip to watch us play Bangkok United.
G - The one away game I went to was Chula United. I enjoyed it a lot because it's really as close as a home game and it's downtown Bangkok, so it's a good atmosphere.

Me - What sort of crowds have you been getting this season? 
M - We were getting 2,000 at the beginning of the season. However we had 13,000 last week and we are expecting 15,000 this week.
G - During my time supporting the club we've been getting full house crowds.

Me - What sort of image does the club have in your area? 
M - A good one. Lots of images and we promote the team at Harrow School.
G - Amongst the growing fan base, the club is fashionable and successful. But like all Thai teams, there is still a remarkable amount of people unaware they have a local football team.

Me - How do your owners promote and advertise your club? 
M - They put up posters in the area, the players go out on local visits and the team trains on the school pitch at Harrow International School.
G - In a very modern way. There is big name sponsorship and all the usual club products. The internet site is highly professional too. They also promote in more traditional Thai ways such as sending a van with a loudspeaker around the area to remind people when the next game is. Overall, I believe the club are consciously marketing themselves as the Thai version of Manchester United.

Me - How far do you think the club can go?
M - I think that we will be League Champions in the next two years. I then expect us to have a good run in the AFC competitions over the next two to three years
G - Good question. There's no doubt we can become dominant in Thai football but that's still a big leap away from success in Asia.

Me - How ambitious are your owners? Have they made any promises as to what they hope the club can achieve? 
M - They seem very ambitious. Robert Procuruer has a clear idea of what he expects on and off the pitch.
G - They are certainly ambitious. They recently pledged to invest some 30 million baht in new players.

Me - What are your opinions about the new stadium? Is it what you were expecting or are the club taking shortcuts in order to have "stands" ready in time for Sunday's game? 
M- It's taking shape, but the explosion in numbers mean that there will be some rough edges.
G - This is something a lot of people are talking about right now. As far as I can see the club is doing exactly the right thing. They are very quickly building stable stands to accommodate the huge demand we have right now, but the way these stands are built makes them - to my eyes - very easy to remove or disassemble. So, in the long term, the ground can still be expanded.

Me - Do you think, in its present state, the Thunderdome is capable of hosting such a big game? 
M - No, that is why they have opened the exhibition centre for the fans to watch the game on big screen TVs. But I'm glad it is at The Thunderdome as it is a home game.
G - The ground itself? Yes, if the new stand is finished in time. The real challenge is for the staff inside and outside the ground in managing the large number of human traffic.

Me - How do you think your club is regarded by fans of other Thai teams? 
M - Some seem to think we are rich and greedy and too rich, but we support them as our local team so we can live with that.
G - You tell me! I'm sure there is some level of resentment similar to the feeling other fans have for Man Utd fans back home, but I need to speak to more Thai fans of other teams to get a clearer picture.

Me - How do you think your fans are regarded by fans of other Thai teams? 
M - I think they are respected as being passionate and friendly.
G - As above. I think most other fans expect us to be numerous and noisy, which we are.

Me - What sort of welcome can the Chonburi fans expect? 
M - A friendly one, if it was anything other I wouldn't be interested in bringing my family again.
G - Normally it is a good friendly atmosphere. There is a lot at stake in this one of course but hopefully everyone will behave themselves. I'll certainly be looking to sit down and talk football with some Chonburi fans like yourself before and after the game. 






Me - Who would you say is your best player? 
M - Yaya.
G - I'm still working on that one. I have a shortlist of - Yaya, Piyachat, Leesaw and Kawin.

Me - Is there anyone else we should keep an eye out for?
M - Kawin.
G - Honestly, the whole team is strong. The two centre backs give very little away. The wing backs have been very well positioned for the last few games, the goals are being shared by several players and we look dangerous from set pieces.

Me - What do you think the score will be on Sunday?
M - I think that it will be a draw.
G - To use a cliche - it really is anyone's game. If pushed, I'd say 2 -1 to Muang Thong.

Me - Which other TPL players (or players from overseas) do you wish you had at your club? 
M - Michael Byrne
G - Realistically, I don't see any options right now. I wouldn't mind your boy Byrne or another British player at the club just so I know at least one player will understand when I shout all the stuff English fans shout at the team! Not that they can hear me anyway of course, but you understand!

Me - Which is the best team (apart from Muang Thong) that you have seen this season? 
M - I really rate Chula on their day and, in general, I have been impressed with most teams.
G - Pattaya United seem to have given us a very tough game. Of the games which I've attended, we were actually very lucky to get a point from Chula. I think they will stay up.

Me - Who do you think will win the TPL? 
M - Chonburi this year because they have the experience in these situations.
G - Sorry, Dale, I'm truly confident that we will win it.

Me - Which is your favourite other team (if you have one)? Thai or overseas. 
M - Aston Villa.
G - Southampton is my team in England and I listen to every game. Back in Thailand, I'm also planning to watch Rajpracha in the Thai Division 2 playoffs whenever I can.

Me - Do you support the Thailand national team?
M - Yes.
G - I like to see them do well but I wouldn't call myself a supporter.

Me - Who do you think is the best Thai player at the moment? 
M - Kawin
G - Too early to say. I expect to have an opinion on that by the end of next season.

Me - Are you happy that Bryan Robson might be the new Thailand head coach? 
M - No. I would have preferred it if Steve Darby had taken over.
G - Not really. I think Reid is a better coach. The appointment of Robson is just an expensive form of showing off for the Thai FA.

Me - Anything else you'd like to add?
M - Here's to a great day out on Sunday showing the best of Thailand and Thai people.
G - Just to say to fans of both sides that we know this is an important and tense game, but let's make sure the focus is on the football.

Me - Thank you both. 
M&G - You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment