Wednesday 9 October 2019

Thiago Cunha Interview: 2012

My interview with Chonburi legend, Thiago Cunha, from October, 2012.



How did your transfer to Chonburi come about?
I sent a dvd with my video highlights. Then I came to Thailand for a trial. I didn’t know at the time that I would sign for Chonburi. I was here for seven days and, thank God, everything worked out alright. Chonbnuri believed in my work, and today I'm sure they are happy that they made the decision to sign me.

You seemed to take a while settling in at Chonburi before you hit your stride, why was this?
I think the coach was just evaluating me. That’s why it took so long.

How does the training at Chonburi compare with what you are used to?
In Brazil teams train in the morning and in the afternoon, here we train only once. I miss the extra training.

Which is your favourite goal for Chonburi and why?
The goal that saw us go through in Jordan. Without a doubt. It was great to be a part of history and take the club so far in the AFC Cup.

Would you like to stay with Chonburi?
I love the city and even more so the people! They treat me with much respect.

Have you been offered a contract for next season?
Yes. I have already signed for next season.

Where do you think we need to improve in order to challenge for the TPL title next season?
We need to have good players and work hard! Work is the secret!

What sort of reaction do you get from fans when you see them in the town?
Everyone has a lot of affection for me! I'm impressed! I am treated well by everyone!

How did the coaching staff react after your yellow card against Al Shorta for removing your shirt? Did you realise at the time that the booking would rule you out of the next match?
I didn’t know that two yellow cards meant a suspension in the AFC Cup. If I had have known, I wouldn’t have done it! The coach didn’t say anything to me because he was happy with my overall performance. I was very sad not to be able to help Chonburi in Iraq but I believe I can make the difference in the second leg.

How confident are the players and coaching staff that we can still qualify for the AFC Cup final?
It will not be easy, but I believe in our team. Chonburi are very strong!

Do you think we can win the tie?
I think if we can play with a great desire to win, we will take it right to the end. I watched the game that we lost and it will not be easy to turn things around. But we must believe that we can make history for the club and go through.

How much will it help the players to have the fans behind them on Tuesday?
The fans of Chonburi are awesome. They encourage us all the time and they’re passionate about the club.

You had a brief spell at Wigan, in the north west of England, please can you tell me a bit about your time there?
I was only 16 years old and I played for the B team. I didn’t stay very long because it was hard being away from my family and friends.

Who is the most famous person you've played with and against?
It was a friendly game in my home town and I was invited to participate in the same match as Neymar. I believe that he is currently the best Brazilian player playing.

What is the biggest match you've ever played in?
It was in Brazil! Santa Cruz PE v PE Sport. It was at the end of the season and there were more than eighty thousand people in the stadium. We won and were crowned champions!

What are your hopes for the future?
To be champions of the TPL in 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment