Sunday 29 December 2019

Chonburi Fan Profile - Clint Falcus: 2009

A profile of Chonburi fan, Clint Falcus, from October, 2009.


Name : Clint Falcus
Nationality : English

Q : Where do you live?
Currently in Bucharest, Romania

Q : Which was your 1st Chonburi match?
Do you know? I can't remember... it would have been a home match in 2008. And it would have been good.

Q : Why did you start supporting Chonburi?
Peer pressure... To be honest I'd been out in Thailand a while and had heard literally nothing of Thai football. A friend of mine is an ardent supporter and I was interested to see what went on. I wasn't expecting much, not much at all but I was blown away by the professionalism, the ambition and potential and mostly the atmosphere; not just from the fans, but the honesty and warmth of the players that comes across, something I don't believe that you get in many leagues anymore these days.

Q : Which other teams -Thai or foreign- do you support?
Mainly Newcastle, and my interest and enjoyment has recently surged no longer being a part of the nonsensical circus that is the English Premier League. Also, occasionally Reading as it was my home town back in England, convenience supporting...

Q : Who is your favourite current Chonburi player?
I always has a soft spot for Pipob... maybe because I am fairly large and he is so small... Maybe because we play with contrasting styles; me with more than a modicum of physical presence (I was once dubbed 'Ram Raider') and he has an exquisite touch. But also because he works hard and is surprisingly good in the air for one so diminutive. I appreciate that he must work hard on areas of the game which aren't his natural strengths...

Q : Which has been your most memorable Chonburi match so far?
Without doubt it would be the match away against Bangkok University in September 2008. In fact I think it is the most memorable match I've ever been to anywhere. We were losing but came back to win 3-2. Not only a great football match, but at half time we were treated to the greatest display of acrobatics from the cheerleaders. I don't think I'm alone in having etched this into my memory.

Q : Do you think we can still win the league?
It is hard to say having left Thailand back in June... though this website provides me with some idea of form... I think we should win the league... I think that last season a lack of form, particularly scoring goals towards the tail end of the season cost us the title, I don't see a repeat of that happening again and a strong finish will see us be Champions again. If so I'll be celebrating wherever I may be...

Q : What do you think about the Chonburi Fan Club?
Most fan clubs probably don't have that much to do with the club other than organising buses. For me Chonburi is all about the fan club and the fans.

Q : Why do you think that Chonburi have been so successful?
I think because they have taken their time and structured the club properly. Starting at the bottom and slowly drawing people in with an improving team and promotion, culminating in winning the league. An organic growth. If they were an American sports team they would have made a film about them.

Q : Finally, is there anything you'd like to say to the other Chonburi fans?
Never have I been anywhere in the world where I have been made to feel more welcome. Except maybe at my Mum's house. Oh, and thanks for sharing all the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment