Saturday 21 December 2019

Interview With The Blogger: 2010

My interview with Greg Hill for his Muang Thong Utd blog from May, 2010.



1) You've got a remarkably detailed and updated website on Chonburi FC. What drives you to keep it up over such a long span of time?
A) Thank you for the kind words. I think the main driving force for me is the fact that I genuinely enjoy doing it. Many, many years ago I used to edit music, and then football, fanzines, which was great fun, and websites seem to be the modern equivalent. So it's a natural progression from that. I do try to limit the amount of time I spend working on the site, especially as computers are by and large are a mystery to me and my typing skills would embarrass a five year old.

2) You were quite possibly the first ever foreigner to get involved with Thai football. Apart from crowd sizes, how has it changed? 
A) I could write a book about the number of changes that I've seen during the past 13+ years of watching Thai football (now there's an idea!). However, the biggest change has to be the amount of information that is available. I've gone on record as saying that following the domestic game used to be like belonging to a secret underground movement but that is largely true. Word of mouth seemed to be the preferred method of communication. When I first started going to watch Chonburi on a regular basis I had to call one of the players to get all the information about kick off times and fixtures. Other improvements include a more professional approach by clubs, FAT, SAT etc ; the availability of merchandise; television coverage has increased dramatically; the rise of the provincial clubs; all ticket games etc etc. We used to joke about all this being a reality when we were sitting in crowds of less than 200 not that long ago. I could go on but you'll have to wait for my book to come out. :)

3) I try to get some of my fellow foreigners into the local footie, but often they don't give it a chance. Have you managed to convert any foreigners to Thai football? 
A) I have. With varying degrees of success. One of my best mates, Ian - a Southampton fan - used to come to all the Chonburi Pro League matches with me, until he moved to Vietnam. My parents, both life long Oldham supporters, go to all the games they can whenever they come to visit. I've also dragged many of my work colleagues along over the years, and one or two are pretty regular attendees these days. However, the biggest convert of all is Thai. My wife. She used to hate football and would look forward to Sunday afternoons when I would be out from under her feet. She started coming towards the end of the 2004 season - I can't remember why - and has hardly missed a game since.

4) OK, so to the big game build up...Chonburi look to be on fire this season. What's the secret? 
A) I believe that there are a few reasons why we've enjoyed such a good start to the campaign. Therdsak has made a big difference. You can tell that the other players respect him and his intelligent approach certainly rubs off on those around him. The return of Jadet Meelarp is also a key factor. He, along with the rest of the coaching staff, has instilled a lot of confidence and belief into the players, and this is evident when you watch them on matchdays.

5) Has any player stood out so far? 
A) Therdsak, obviously, but for me Puritat Jarigarnon has been our most outstanding player. This lad has a bright future and I expect that he'll be a fixture in the Thailand national team, and, hopefully, Chonburi team, for many years to come. However, I'd be happy to let him go to one of the big European clubs.

6) We think we've spotted at least one weakness in your team. Do you think you've spotted any with MTU? Don't worry you don't need to be specific!
A) You are strong in all departments and have equal strength in cover, so finding a weakness on the field is very difficult. As I've said before, Muang Thong have been the best side in the country for me over the past two years. However, as far as I'm concerned, your Achilles' heel is your coach and his assistant. They do tend to come across as being rather arrogant and are not afraid to make their feelings known. It's quite possible that this approach could backfire on them, and your club. As long as you keep winning, it might not be a problem but if a couple of decisions go against you, and they start to criticise, it will be interesting to see how that goes down in certain quarters.

7) Is it too early to call this a title decider?
A) Yes. In spite of last Sunday's result, Bangkok Glass will still have a big part to play in this season's title race.

8) Finally, what do you think will be the score on Friday?
A) 1-1. The same as last October.

9) Anything you want to add?
A) I'm really looking forward to my trip to the Thunderdome/Yamaha Stadium. When I came up for the TOT match a couple of weeks ago I was mightily impressed with all the improvements you've made since my last visit. As you know, I had a few issues with certain things last year, when the ground clearly wasn't ready to stage such a big game, but I don't envisage any problems on Friday. It'll be a fine sight when it's full and I hope that the game lives up to its billing and everybody enjoys the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment