Tuesday 31 December 2019

Chonburi Fan Profile - Phil Larkin: 2009

A profile of Chonburi fan, Phil Larkin, from October, 2009.



Name: Philip Alan Larkin
Nationality: I'm English and I come from the People's Republic of Middlesbrough

Q: Where do you live?
Naklua, Pattaya.

Q: Which was you first Chonburi game?
Being someone who promises a lot and rarely delivers, it was never my intention to fall in love with the Sharks. However, on a September evening in 2008, I did fall in love with them. I think Arthit scored early and we passed the opposition to death, but for the life of me I cannot remember who it was against.

Q: Why did you start supporting Chonburi?
Until Pattaya United came around, Chonburi was the closest place to watch top flight football so it was a no-brainer! The atmosphere and generosity of the fans made up for the appalling refereeing! And being a Middlesbrough fan, I will gladly chase any chance to become a "Glory Hunter"!

Q: Which other teams do you support?
Middlesbrough, Grangetown Boys Club and England. From a very early age, all three teams were drummed into me and I am glad they were because it has given me a very good grounding in life. Grangetown Boys Club was the team I played for as a youngster and my Dad managed the Senior team. England, purely because I am from there. And finally, Middlesbrough. Only something pure and totally beautiful, could get away with causing me so much harm.

I did not speak for four days after the League Cup Final defeat against Leicester and got the sack from Mothercare the year when I skipped work to go to the League Cup Final against Chelsea. I did get reinstated, no one else would get dressed up as a giant tree and stand outside to be punched by small children! But I love the Boro with every sinue of my being and I hope and pray that we get some success again soon.

Q: Who is your favourite Chonburi player?
Last year it was Pipob for sure, however I haven't been as impressed this season. Kone is either the best player in the world, or the worst, and Arthit could be a decent player if someone gave him a rocket and he applied himself for ninety minutes. However, this season the three players that have impressed me most have been Ekaphan, Micheal Byrne and Adul. I think these three could actually play at quite a high level.

Q: Which has been your most memorable match?
Seeing as Clint has already taken the Bangkok University game, which was awesome, I shall opt for the 3-2 win over SriRacha. Kosin got sent off and we were pulled back to 2-2. But Zico gambled and went for the win, and Ekaphan squeezed one in at the death.

In addition, I would also like to mention the 3-0 win against PEA Ayutthya. I spent the second half of the game dressed as a giant blue Shark, getting beaten up by small children and sweating profusely. However, I did get a nice round of applause and had a cold Fanta waiting for me when I got back!

Q: Can we win the league in 2010?
Yes!

Q: What do you think about the Chonburi Fan Club? Truly awesome! Well organised and welcoming. You cannot ask for more.

Q: Why do you think Chonburi have been so successful?
Well, they haven't won a trophy since I've been going so I am not a glory hunter! However, as with anything worth creating, it takes time. There appears to have been a natural evolution and it is evolving into something pretty big. If the clubs in the TPL can take on "Football in the Community" type projects within their local areas, I can see it only going further.

Muang Thong are getting mega crowds and Chonburi pull in large numbers on a regular basis so the potential is certainly there. Therefore, with the development of other stadia and clubs, the whole of the TPL can become massive, never mind just one or two clubs. In addition, there are a lot of very wealthy people in this country so they should start putting their hands in their pockets. You cannot spend it when you are dead!

Q: Do you have a message for the Chonburi fans?
Yes. I love you all. Thank you for allowing me into your lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment