Saturday 7 December 2019

Interview With Andy Potten (AKA BG Man): 2009

My interview with Bangkok Glass fan, Andy Potten (AKA BG Man) from December, 2009.


How have you been keeping yourself busy during the break?
A - Personally I have got my wedding coming up in February, so that's kept me occupied, otherwise the withdrawal symptoms I'm having from the TPL break would have driven me crazy. I have tried to re-ignite some sort of passion for European football, so far without success.

And what has your club been up to?
A - Redeveloping the Leo. It's coming on nicely. Currently the grass has been taken up and the artificial pitch should be laid soon. Some exciting players have arrived too, namely Saruta, Fabiano and Kittisak. We needed a decent keeper and I'm very much looking forward to Saruta who I championed to the club several months ago. I would like to think I had something to do with his purchase, but I doubt it.

On a scale of 1-10, how much are you looking forward to the Super Cup? (10 being the highest)
A - The competition is a little pointless but still it's football and I really miss the TPL, so I'd say 7.

How seriously do you think your club will be taking the tournament?
A - Fairly seriously I would imagine. Firstly the prize money is decent and secondly and probably more important is that (assuming the games are shown on channel 7) these might be the first games (except the FA Cup final) available to a wider and new audience and could be a great opportunity to attract new fans to the team.

Will you be going to any of the games?
A - Yes, on Sunday 27th December for sure. The 22nd and 24th are unlikely because of work, but I will see what I can do.

What sort of crowds do you think it will attract?
A - The 22nd and 24th maybe not too much, being work days and commuting into the centre of Bangkok is never easy from Pathum Thani, Nontaburi or Nong Jork and is impractical for Chonburi fans. On the 27th, I would expect a good turnout with the fans from all 4 teams filling the stadium.

Will the Super Cup be any sort of guide to what we can expect next season?
A - Maybe, but that said, Bangkok Glass won 4 out of 5 league and cup games against MTU and Chonburi last season, but still finished below both of them.


Who do you think will win the Super Cup?
A - Hmm, I would like us too obviously. I think we have made good signings, but so have MTU. However, who knows, it takes time to gel and sometimes players don't click. BEC did well to hang onto Anon, without him they would struggle. I'll grudgingly go for Muang Thong.

Would you like to see the Super Cup become an annual event?
A - 5 months is too long for an off season, so for me it's something to look forward too. I'm not so sure I would care too much if Bangkok Glass weren't in it though. I would prefer they reduce the time between seasons, but I'm sure they wont.

What do you think about the format? Would you change it?
A - It seems like a build up to the Sunday game, but there could be nothing to play for by then if results fall a certain way, which would ruin it a bit.

Would you like to see the Super Cup expanded or other non Thai teams invited?
A - Yes, very fond of including Non-Thai teams if it could be put into practice.

What do you think about the choice of venue?
A - No real issues, other than traffic around Supachalasai is bad at the best of times. With 4 sets of fans arriving and departing around the same time, it could be a real headache.

Where do you think a good alternative venue would be?
A - Depends on what teams are involved. For this year, maybe an alternative would have been Thammasat, it would have been more practical for Bangkok Glass and MTU and Chonburi wouldn't have had to go into the centre of Bangkok.

Any other thoughts about the Super Cup?
A - There is a great opportunity here to bring the TPL to a wider audience and generate new fans. I just hope the marketing is towards the TPL as a whole and not trying to artificially create a 'Big 4' like the English Premiership.

No comments:

Post a Comment