Saturday 25 January 2020

Confessions Of A TV Football Pundit by Steve Darby: 2016

Confessions of a TV Football Pundit
by Steve Darby
30th November, 2016


I have been doing a lot of TV work recently (Indian Super League, AFF Suzuki Cup & the AFC Champions League final), called for some reason “Punditry”. A definition is apparently: A pundit is a person who offers to mass media his opinion or commentary on a particular subject area on which he is knowledgeable (or can at least appear to be knowledgeable), or considered a scholar in said area.

I think the brackets are the key factor here!

I have been asked is it easier than coaching? Well to date I haven’t been attacked, spat on, had bottles of urine thrown at me or had a death threat! So perhaps it’s safer than coaching in SE Asia. But easier? When one night I could not remember Steven Gerrard’s name in front of an estimated 200 million audience I wouldn’t have said easier, I wished the earth had opened up, or when I went totally blank about the question asked me of me and I had to rely on the greatest advice I have been given.

“That’s an excellent question. . .BUT I think of more relevance is….” And bluffed my way out of it.

I think the first thing to do is differentiate the pro’s (the presenters) from the amateurs (the pundits) it’s like comparing international players to the Oldham Sunday League. I have been lucky working with top class presenters/hosts such as John Dykes, Steve Dawson, Jason Dasey, Adam Carruthers, and Roshan Narayan. Many a time I have been rescued by them when I have started to mumble.

You must remember they are asking and answering questions with a number of voices in their ears and having countdowns of 5 seconds to shut a pundit with verbal diarrhea up! Without the pros believe me the shows would be a shambles.. They are the unseen heroes behind the shows, they create the show and drive it.

I once had the situation where in a particular segment I was to be asked the first and third question and my fellow pundit to my right the second and fourth. I nearly died when the host as smooth as silk asked me the first and second questions! Then with some adroit camera work had let me know my fellow pundit had fallen asleep! A cameraman had to crawl on the floor to wake him up!

But working on Champions league in SE Asia this can happen with 2 am kick offs. I once had a fellow pundit speak in the pre-show, fall asleep for 45 minutes and then was brilliant in the half time show! Just like the dressing room law of conduct, no names will ever pass my lips.

I’ve also had a host go to the toilet on me and not come back! I had to bluff my way through 5 long minutes as a host…and in Bahasa!

What makes a good pundit? Credibility is important, it does help if you have played or coached at the level you are talking about. It’s a bit hard to disagree with someone who has a 100 international caps even though they may be wrong as the audience will fall in line with them.

Doing your research is vital; know your game and players inside out. I have worked with top playing stars that have no knowledge of the games they are talking with, whilst others such as John Beresford and Paul Walsh both great players were meticulous in their preparation.

It does show when a pundit has done his homework. I am pleased when I know that Teerasil and Adul are pronounced Teerasin and Adun, it shows respect to the player and I also believe it’s important to get the player’s names right, no matter how difficult.

I also try to not tell the viewer what they have just seen! I try to show why something happened. A goal may have come from a mistake 30 seconds before, or a player being technically wrong.

On a personal level I try not to get personal and abuse a player or a coach. Us coaches have enough enemies (in the media and administration) to contend with, we don’t need more. Also, I don’t think any player deliberately misses or lets a goal in on purpose (though that of course can be disputed, but is so hard to prove!). I try to be objective and professional. Though sometimes the pundit who blasts players is appreciated by the viewers and this is reflected in the ratings.

So basically it’s not as easy as it may seem. If it looks easy then we must be doing our job right. It’s also lucky in the Suzuki Cup I was not commentating like the incredible Dez Corkhill and had to say the ex Chonburi keepers name Sinthaweechai Hathairattanakool. He was just “T” to me, and always will be when I’m on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment