Tuesday 21 January 2020

Interview With Peter Butler: 2012

Interview With Former BEC Tero Coach, Peter Butler
23rd July, 2012


Q - Please could you start by introducing yourself.
A - My name is Peter Butler. I was a player from England who played over five hundred first team games in the UK with West Ham Utd and West Brom amongst others. I made the transition to coaching when I was finishing my career off at Halifax Town. I decided to start getting my licenses in my late twenties. I am a UEFA Advanced A license holder and also a UEFA Pro License holder. I have coached in England, Australia, Malaysia numerous times, plus Burma, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand  and now I am back at Terengganu in the MSL, rebuilding and constructing a young team.

Q - How did you get the job at BEC Tero and what was behind your decision to join?
A - Pretty simple, BEC were struggling at the bottom needed a coach. I knew Brian and I was interested in coaching in Thailand as Therdsak Chaiman had told me many good things about the place. Brian Marcar offered me a chance to coach there and I flew out and we agreed a contract.

Q - Were you aware of BEC Tero’s history when you joined the club?
A - I knew they had history but I did not know about Thai football. BEC is a bit different as it does not have a big fan base but it’s a lovely little club and has great potential.

Q - What were your first impressions of the set up at the club?
A - The set up is a bit strange as Nonchok is miles away, and the offices are at the TV 3 building at Malenont. But I thought they were very well marketed and driven by Brian’s passion for the club and his love of football. Nice people, I have to say.

Q - What did the senior management expect you to achieve at BEC Tero?
A – Initially, I think they expected me to restore some pride into the team and I helped them stay up and finish the season. We rebuilt a new team but the local players were just not up to it and the foreign players we brought in were not really up to it either, if I am honest.  I brought in Gilbert Koomson during my time there but the locals were disappointing in comparison to those with other teams. We had First Division players trying to compete in the TPL. It was a no brainer that we were going to struggle big time if we got a batch of injuries.

Q - How much support – financial or otherwise – did they give to help you achieve your aims?
A - Brian was very supportive and I have to say he was a good guy. However he is very impatient. But, in spite of that, I really did enjoy working with him. I rebuilt their youth team and most of the youth players who are coming through now are the product of my hard work in the early stages selecting and developing the youth programme.

Q - How much interference from “above” did you get regarding team selection, tactics etc?
A - Brian Marcar never interfered in team selection. However, he would sometimes come in and have a rant and was always wanting to know what was going on, which I encouraged. He was a good Chairman and I was pleased to say he never interfered with the team. He was excellent on that front.


Q – What were your impressions of the players at the club?
A - We just lacked quality. We were sitting second or third at one stage but had three broken legs: Leesaw, Chris Brandon & Kittipoom. We had an injury crisis and fell down the league. The locals were not good enough if you compared them to the other big clubs. I was disappointed with Payong because he gave his word that these boys were good enough but they were not. They were massively lacking in ability and also work rate. I liked Prat he was a good player and was just misunderstood, Mikka was a top guy who loved training. Ronnachai is a really good talent but he needs to be loved and coached. Leesaw is a good player but not consistent enough to be a top player, that’s maybe why he failed outside of Thailand, but he was a big help to me. Gilbert is a boy I rate but he will lose his way if he is not coached.

Q - How did you overcome the language barrier?
A - I was learning Thai. I was really getting there but I do believe a picture paints a thousand words, show rather than tell, I am a very active coach and demonstrate a great deal.

Q - Was it easy to get your ideas across to the players and the other coaching staff?
A - I am a big believer in coach education, you can’t make players learn or your coaches learn, it has to come from within and I always say when I go into a club I always leave them in a better state than when I entered (as I did at BEC). If players or coaches feel they have not learnt anything that’s their problem. You can take a horse to water but you can’t make him drink it. I know I did a good job at BEC.

Q - One of the biggest irritants for fans is the constant chopping and changing of fixtures. How frustrating is this when you are trying to prepare your team for the season?
A - Changing fixtures is always a nightmare but the TPL is in a league of its own! I have nothing to say about them. They do what they do.

Q - What did enjoy most about working at BEC Tero?
A - I liked working there because it had a great deal of potential and the people were really friendly. I wish them all the very best. They have a good youth policy - which I set up - and I gave them some great links into Africa.

Q - What were your biggest frustrations whilst working at BEC Tero?
A - We had people there who knew nothing about how a professional football club worked, and they were very naïve. But I don’t want to criticize individuals. I recruited people myself, who let me down but you live and learn and I only blame myself because it was me who hired them. I made some mistakes and I am not afraid to admit it, but I hired some people on my coaching staff who were pulling the opposite way to me, with that you have no chance.


Q - Why did you leave BEC Tero?
A - I left BEC because I was fired. Simple as that. No excuses, I took it on the chin. I left them in a better position than when I came in. I had worked tirelessly to develop the youth, but I made mistakes and I paid for it. I was not given time but I am not moaning about it. Brian is a good guy I have a lot of respect for him.

Q - Would you have liked to have stayed longer?
A – Yes, I would have loved to have stayed longer but you can’t look back in football and think “what if?” I have moved onto other clubs and done really well. I’ve won matches and that’s what I am paid to do. Nobody can argue with my won/ lost ratio. I win football matches. End of story.

Q - How would you sum up your time at BEC Tero?
A – I had a great time. It was a good learning curve but I still have some regrets and feel I have unfinished business. However, I loved my time there and everyone within BEC made me feel very welcome, from Brian to the lady who brought me Green Tea every morning. They were a lovely group.

Q - Which other clubs impressed you, and why, during your time in the TPL?
A - Buriram PEA bought success, Chonburi play good football and Muang Thong United have lots of cash. There were many other teams who I thought tried to play football the right way but you cannot compete with the big boys who spend the money and corner the market in terms of local players. The secret in Thai football is to get the best locals. If you want to compete, get good locals. If you wish to win things, get the best players like Therdsak Chaiman. He is a great professional. I loved him when he played for me at Singapore Armed Forcs and we became good friends.

Q - Which coaches impressed you during your time in the TPL?
A - There are some good young coaches doing some good things there in the TPL. My old club BEC has adopted a very different set up now. They do not have a stand alone coach in place. Robert (Procuruer) runs the show there and it’s run more like a European set up, with a coach in place just to take care of the day to day running and no real responsibility for transfers. Robert is the one who makes the decisions now. It works for so long but it will be interesting to see how long it will last. They will always have a big turnover of players because that’s the way Robert operates, players in and out irrespective of how they play. It’s not the way I operate but it costs a great deal of money to operate like that. BEC have spent big money this season, they have to finish in the top five or it’s a failure.

Q - What were your overall impressions of the TPL?
A - I liked the TPL. I really enjoyed my time there. Many teams try and play good football but it lacks a bit of a competitive edge. It’s not like the ISL. It’s all very, very nice. Too nice, if I am honest.

Q - It’s a question that often gets asked but what level is the TPL compared to the English leagues?
A - English League v TPL?  There’s no comparison. It’s like night and day. It’s not competitive enough to be judged on that level. It’s an emerging league and has a hell of a long way to go. It needs time to develop.


Q - Would you consider moving back to coach in Thailand?
A - Yes I would go back to coach but it would have to be at a club which is chasing honours or matches my ambition. It’s a good place to coach is Thailand and some really talented young players there. Give it a few years and I think it will do very well.

Q - So which clubs would you like to coach?
A - There are some good clubs, like Buriram, Munang Thong and Chonburi. I really would like to coach a top side there but I would not have any hesitation taking a smaller team, which has backing and aspirations to be successful. Just look how far Muang Thong have come.

Q - Do you still follow BEC Tero’s progress?
A - Yes I follow their progress. I have no choice, everyone Tweets me or calls me! I have a lot of respect for Brian Marcar and I really hope he gets some success, as they have spent a lot of money this season and want a return.

Q - Realistically what do you think they can achieve in the short term and the long term?
A - Top five or even top three, with maybe a good run in the Cup. But they are a pretty, pretty team. Thai teams do not pay enough attention to strength and conditioning work. They lack in that department. I know from my own playing days that the strongest teams invariably play the best football and dominate the league. You can’t get by on tip tap pretty football. You need substance and character. BEC have the best conditioner in South East Asia with Mirko Jelecic but he is not used anywhere near enough because the coaches don’t know how to utilize his qualities.

Q - What are your personal ambitions for the future?
A - My personal ambitions are just to stay healthy and keep enjoying my coaching. And as long as I am affecting young players’ careers in a positive manner, and helping them reach their goals, I’ll be happy with that. I don’t chase personal glory, as everyone knows.

Q - Anything else you’d like to add?
A - I hope the Thai league keeps on going from strength to strength and I wish BEC all the best. I must also give a special mention to their small group of supporters, who backed me even when others did not – Thanks.

Q – Thanks, Peter. I really appreciate that.
A – My pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment