Wednesday 8 January 2020

Interview With Douglas Cobo: 2010

My interview with Brazilian defender, Douglas Cobo, from July, 2010.



Can you please tell me about your career before you came to Thailand?
When I was 15 years old I started to play for Sao Paulo in Brazil. Then, when I was 17, I moved to Club Athletico Taboao de Serra. I was there for 4 years before I came to Thailand.

How did your move to Thailand come about?
Coach Jaded came over to Brazil on the invitation of my agent. Whilst he was there he saw many games and picked a number of players to come to Thailand. I was lucky enough to be selected, although initially he was only looking for forwards. However, he said he wanted me, so I was very happy.

You were only at Chonburi for a short while but what is your best memory of your time at the club?
My best memory was playing in the AFC Cup. This was a new adventure for me because in Brazil I only played against local teams and never teams from outside the country. Also during my time with Chonburi I got the chance to play with international players and I think they taught me a lot. They all helped me to settle and adapt to the Thai way of life.

From Chonburi you spent a spell on loan at SriRacha. How did you enjoy your time there? 
I really enjoyed my time there because SriRacha gave me the chance to play many games in the Thai league. They also gave me many responsibilities on the field. where I had to be a leader. And this helped me to mature as a player so I am very grateful for this.

How did you find out that BEC Tero wanted to sign you? 
The BEC Tero management contacted my agent.

Were any other clubs interested in signing you? If so, why did you choose BEC Tero? 
The Chonburi manager said he wanted to sign me but first he had to clear this with his boss. However, BEC Tero offered me a concrete 2 year deal. I would have liked to stay at Chonburi but I am a professional and sometimes it is better to move on when new opportunities arise. SriRacha wanted me to stay but they knew if a Premier League team came in for me, I would go.

How have you settled in at BEC Tero?
I’ve settled in very well. Everybody is so friendly. I didn’t expect to get such a warm reception but I was really pleased to be made so welcome.

What do you enjoy most about being at BEC Tero?
I enjoy the whole aspect of being here. I love training and I love the other players. The fans are very good and have welcomed me so I could not be happier

How do you think that BEC Tero will do this season? 
I think we will do very well. We have very good players and a good coach. So everything is geared for us to be pushing for the title.

What do you think the score will be on Saturday? 
It is hard to say but I think it will be a very good game. Obviously I want us to win and I believe we have the players to do so.

Who are the best Thai players you have played with and against in the TPL? 
Surat Sukha impressed me when I played with him at Chonburi. His organisation in the midfield was very good. The best Thai player I’ve played against is probably Leesaw. He is very talented but Muang Thong have a number of good players

Who are the best foreign players you have played with and against in the TPL?
Kone Mohamed. I played with him at Chonburi. The best I’ve played against is Dagno from Muang Thong.

What do you enjoy most about playing football in Thailand?
Meeting new people. I have made many good friends in Thailand. When I first came here I couldn’t speak any English but now I am doing interviews and many other things. I also have to thank my very best friend Michael Byrne for helping me though.

Thank you. 
You’re welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment