Wednesday 29 January 2020

Season Previews: 2016

Tommie Duncan (Port), Russ John (Nakorn Ratchasima) and Rob McEvoy (Neutral) preview the 2016 season.



TOMMIE DUNCAN: PORT FC (DIVISION ONE)
Which teams do you think will finish in the top 4 and the bottom 3?
For the TPL I think Buriram, BKK Utd, MTU, and Suphan will make up the top four. Perhaps BKK Glass might slip in there as well. Bottom 3 is wide open. So many substandard sides this year. The gap between the top and the bottom is widening. I think this will make for a less than exciting year when it comes to the competition. 

For Div 1 I think Port, PTT, Chiang Mai, Ubon, and Nakhon Pathom have the best shot at finishing in the top. As far as the bottom is concerned I don't really know enough about the teams to have an informed opinion. 

Which ground are you most looking forward to visiting?
Actually I like going to PTT. It is really one of the best grounds and settings in Thailand. Too bad we can't have a facility like that in Central Bangkok. Also look forward to Chiang Mai. 

What, in general, are you most looking forward to? 
I do think Port will be one of the top teams in Div 1. Should be a very different experience from last year's debacle. Well, at least we hope it is. 

What are the expectations for your team?
Actually I have quite low expectations for the season. The level of play has decreased each of the 5 years I have been a fan and the league is getting less and less competitive with the top team (teams) making strides and the rest backpedaling. The admin of the league is also a joke. Constantly changing schedules, poor marketing, and no focus on the fan experience is making it quite tedious to follow. 

Who will be the heroes and villains in 2016?
Heroes; Well I really don't see any with the exception of coaches like Manu and a few players. Villains; that would be almost all folks associated with the game in this country. 

Is there anything else you'd like to add? 
I think we are getting close to a make or break point with pro-football in Thailand. Will the league flourish or languish? So much promise and such a good market, but it seems those involved are bound and determined to make every bad decision they can in order to ensure that the league flounders. Really, it is not fun to watch. So many of the foreign Port supporters are just about fed up...and that includes me. 



RUSS JOHN - NAKHON RATCHASIMA (PLT)
Which teams do you think will finish in the top 4 and bottom 3?
Top 4:
1. Buriram United
2. Bangkok United
3. Muang Thong United
4. Suphanburi

I have placed Buriram top because they were basically miles ahead of anyone else in the pack last season – and have sensibly improved their squad. Diogo will be missed early doors but I feel that they have good cover for him. Bangkok United were a good, well coached team last year and have made some useful acquisitions to bolster their squad and I think they may challenge Buriram. Muang Thong (AKA) last year’s BEC Tero should be strong but I cannot help feeling that the players that they have signed up from Tero failed miserably last year so one has to ask, “Will they be any different this year?” Suphanburi have high aspirations and will have a successful season.

Bottom 3
Pattaya United
BBCU
Sukhothai

Sorry to say that I feel that all of the PLT newcomers will struggle this season. Most current mid table PLT teams have strengthened and I think that the league is generally stronger throughout. I cannot see that the promoted teams have the quality of players or experience to survive. Based on last season’s late season performances, I have a feeling that Osotspa may also struggle.


Which ground are you most looking forward to visiting?
Apart from the 80th Anniversary, I always enjoy a weekend in Buriram – great ground, good atmosphere. The Pattaya United game will give me an(other) excuse to visit “Sin City” !!

What, in general, are you most looking forward to?
I am looking forward to seeing if the Swatcats can equal or maybe better their 8th place of last season but generally I am looking forward to putting all the drama behind us and getting on with some great football. The top teams have all strengthened and I think the league will be more competitive that last year.

What are the expectations for your team?
My hope for NRFC is that firstly we avoid relegation – anything else will be a bonus. I think that last year will be a hard act to follow. I just want the team to establish itself as a PLT team and gradually build and gain experience. I look forward to watching Bangkok United – they play good entertaining football and of course the Buriram game at home will be worth watching (if I can get in that is!!)

Who will be the heroes and villains in 2016?
The villains (in many people’s eyes but not mine) will be Buriram and I think Tero will take some stick for the way in which they maintained their PLT status. Heroes, I’m not sure but bearing in mind my earlier thoughts on the promoted teams, everyone likes an underdog to succeed, so maybe one of the teams may shock us and do well.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Many teams seem to have tried to progress with many bolstering their squads with new foreign imports. I suspect that this season will produce a real “slugfest” with “Battles Royal” in the struggle for top five and the fight against relegation. It will be interesting to see how the two teams who have had traumatic off seasons – Chonburi and Tero, manage in the upcoming season. To me, too many changes can spell disaster and any team who disposes of some of its best players may be asking for trouble.

Whatever happens, I hope that after the trials and tribulations of the close season, the TPL enjoys a successful year with competitive matches watched by bumper crowds.



ROB McEVOY - NEUTRAL
Which teams do you think will finish in the top 4 and the bottom 3?
1  Buriram - Diogo and Newin are too good. Now he owns it politically is only 1 winner
2  Bangkok United 
3  Suphanburi
4  Ratchaburi   (Im not sure about this but didnt want the same Top 4 as everyone else)

MTU have lost their best player, and without him Cleiton seems half the player too. Their new foreigners aren't in the same class, and the BEC Tero players were in a team that got relegated last year. Also the coach is unproven and Thai MNT players will be distracted. 

Relegated
18 BBCU   (not enough money or time)
17 Pattaya United  (MTU 3rd team with no preparation time)
16 BEC Tero (relegated last year and have lost all the best players, MTU reserves arent that good)

Which ground are you most looking forward to visiting?
I want to visit Buriram, and maybe Sisaket. Much prefer regional grounds but living in Bkk dont get to go much. Not looking forward to Thammasart with its 25000 empty seats and BBCU with its 1 guy and a megaphone.
 
What are you most looking forward to this season?
I think most looking forward to being able to watch again after having a pregnant wife and then young baby last year. Is a poor product on TV.

Which teams are you most looking forward to watching?
I dont really have a team but I think Buriram will win by miles. Diogo would win the league if you put him in any team.

I will probably go to watch MTU most as now I have a son I want to take him to football and for him to have a team, but I dont want him to be a glory fan, so with the politics and signings I feel safe for him to support MTU. Still a good crowd, atmosphere and they do have big names, just big Thai names.

Hopefully Mano will survive and prosper at Bangkok United, showing how backing a coach and giving him control is the way forward. 

Think Sukothai will do better than expected. Well connected and quite a wealthy area.
 
Who will be the heroes and villains in 2016?
Heroes:
Newin - gets things done and succeeds where others fail. 
Heberty - puts up with so much nonsense and produces the goods week in week out. 

Villains:
Referee du jour and the fans who moan. Someone has to cop the flak for all the nonsense and without fail it is the referee.  With no backing from the FA or anyone, and suspensions at the drop of a hat, wouldnt you take money if offered. Every club owner (not fans) knows how the system works, yet only moan when it works against them (no I wont explain the system in print). For example, I didnt hear any Chonburi fans complaining when the ref sent 2 x MTU players off in the first half last season, but I have a fair idea why the ref was so strict that day. Everyone remembers the bad calls and conveniently forgets the ones that go their way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment