Monday 8 June 2020

Interview With A Bangkok Glass Fan: 2011

My interview with Bangkok Glass fan, Flo, from December, 2011


Q - Please could you start by telling us a little bit about yourself.
A - My name is Flo. I am originally from Germany and moved to Thailand 3 years ago. I am now living in Bangkok, where I am working for one of the "Big 4" accounting firms. During my free time and on the weekends, I enjoy spending time with my wife and pursuing various interests, such as football.

Q - How long have you been supporting Bangkok Glass?
A - This is just my second season following Thai football. I started supporting BG during the second leg of last season.

Q - What first got you interested in following the team?
A - At first, I had been speaking with friends about Thai football and I also did some reading on the Internet to find out more about football in Thailand and the teams in the TPL. So I started looking for a team that I wanted to support and soon knew that it would be BGFC. At first, I went to watch matches of teams in the centre of Bangkok, close to where I live. However, I was not really impressed with the atmosphere in the stadium and so I looked for other teams in and around Bangkok. 

Starting from my first visit at Leo stadium, and reconfirmed in subsequent visits, I could feel that BG would be the team I would be supporting: the fans were really nice, both inside and outside the stadium, supporting and cheering for their team, no matter what the score was. In addition to that, I quite like that the club is managed in a very professional way and there does not seem to be any direct involvement of politicians or media companies.

Q - How would you sum up your season?
A - Overall okay, close to my personal expectations. It has not really been the "Year of the Rabbit" in the TPL though. I believe that the team has performed slightly below its potential. The club had a bad start to the season, but improved towards the end of the first leg. Then again a rather mixed performance in the second leg.

Q -Which players should we look out for on Thursday?
A - Looking at BG's last match against Khon Khaen, Chatree Chimtaley managed to score a hattrick. He appears to be in good form and keen to get more goals.

Q - Do you think playing on an artificial surface gives the team an advantage at home and a disadvantage when they play away?
A - I don't think so; I also don't think that playing on natural surface gives the team a disadvantage in away matches.

Q - What is the current situation re the Leo Stadium? Will the fourth side ever be built?
A - First of all, it was nice to see BG return to Leo stadium earlier this month. Pathum Thani province, where the stadium is located, was among the places which were worst hit by the floods. That's why the team was forced to play its two home matches in October and November "away" at Thepasadin and Yamaha Stadium. So the good thing is that the flood damage apparently was not that significant. Just before the flood, the block for the visiting team's fans had been slightly remodeled and the video board had been upgraded. As far as the fourth side is concerned: I don't think it will be built soon, since from what I heard, the price to purchase the necessary land is significantly exceeding what the club would be willing to pay.

Q - Are you happy with the way your club is run?
A - Yes, I believe the club is managed in a very professional way and there seem to be clear goals and a vision that is being worked towards. The focus does not seem to lie on short-term results, but on long-term success, take the youth academy as an example.

Q - What advice would you give to the club's owners?
A - It is great to see many projects and initiatives going on off the field and a lot of effort being put into improving the club’s infrastructure. At the same time, the team consisting of players, prospective players (youth, scouting), and the coach are key components of the club, and should remain the primary area of attention.

Q - Which areas of the team need strengthening?
A - Unless a magic rejuvenating potion is discovered very soon, the defence might need some strengthening. With Amnart and Thanongsak, two of the current squad's main defensive players are in their mid-thirties. The position of the goalkeeper might also need to be re-considered, given a rather mixed performance throughout the season.

Q - Realistically, what can Bangkok Glass achieve, on and off the field?
A - As a BG supporter, I am convinced that the club can achieve a lot: Even when taking into account that, with the quality of other teams improving further, competition for the top spots in the TPL will get more intense over the next few years, I believe that it is possible for BG to be TPL champion and to be successful in the national cups. This would eventually help the fan base to grow further. If things are going well, competing at the AFC level would be the consequence.

Q - Which has been your favourite away trip and why?
A - The trip to Sisaket; not so much because of the match itself, but it was my first trip to the Northeast of Thailand and a perfect combination of sightseeing, relaxing and football.

Q - What are your opinions about Chonburi FC? 
A - I have a lot of respect for the achievements of Chonburi FC. In my opinion, the club and its fans made a significant contribution to making local football in Thailand more popular, even before people were talking about Muang Thong United or Bangkok Glass FC.

Q - Would you like to make a score prediction?
A - I guess we will see some goals for each side and hope for a 2:2 draw.

Q - Thank you, Flo.
A - You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment