Saturday 6 June 2020

Interview With Roger Smith: 2010

My chat with Buriram PEA fan, Roger Smith, from June, 2010. Sadly, Roger passed away a couple of years ago and is much missed by the Thai football community. He was always happy to answer my questions and help out whenever he could. This was the first interview I did with him.

Interview With Roger Smith
27th June, 2010

 
 What is your name & where do you come from? 
- My name is Roger Smith and I come from Ipswich,Suffolk,England 

How long have you been in Buriram? 
- I have been in Buriram fulltime for 3 years. 

How long have you been following Thai football? 
- This is my first year. 

Do you go to all the PEA home games? 
- Yes, I attend all the PEA games at Thunder Castle. 

What is the atmosphere like on matchdays? 
- Its like a carnival very loud and the fans appear to right behind their team. 

How does it compare to what you've experienced in the past? 
- The closest that I have come to anything like this was when a small team called Sudbury Town played in the FA Vase in 1988. That season they reached the final at Wembley and for the games on the way to the final, Sudbury fans out numbered the other teams. But, having said that, the noise made by the PEA fans is far louder. 

Have you managed to make it to any away games? 
- Yes I have been to one away game at Pattaya, which we drew 3-3. 

Do you also follow Buriram FC? 
- No I have not yet been to see them but I will do. 

PEA have attracted a lot of criticism following their move from Ayutthya, what are your feelings about this? 
- If I was a living in Ayutthya I would not be very happy but, on a selfish note, I am happy to be able to watch Thai Premiership matches here in Buriram. Maybe the decision to move to Buriram was correct as most home games are sold out. I am not sure if this was the case when PEA were playing in Ayutthya. 

It is widely believed that a lot of fans who follow the club are given "incentives" to attend, especially at away games, have you seen any evidence of this? 
- At the home games fans who show their match ticket at the night bazaar are given some food. On the away trips fans receive free entry to the games. Also the club provides free transport on coaches to away matches. 

PEA are amongst the favourites to win the TPL this season, do you think they can do it? 
- No, they will need a couple of seasons before they have a chance of winning the title. 

What, in your opinion, is the reason you are drawing so many games? 
- A lack of firepower in front of goal. PEA strikers are not the best. If the club could attract a couple of proven goalscorers this would alter. 

What sort of reception can the Chonburi fans expect from the locals at the weekend? 
- The same as all other visiting fans receive, a friendly atmosphere with pleny of noise. 

Who are the players we need to look out for on Saturday?
- Now that would be giving to much information away but one player who looks the part is Dudu. He has two good feet and is quick and tricky. 

Would you like to make a score prediction? 
- The way Buriram have been drawing so many matches I will go for a 0-0. 

Anything else you'd like to add? 
- It amazes me how much stick the referees get from the players here in Thailand. If the players were to show more respect towards the referees, I am sure that the number of red cards would be less. I watched Ostotspa play TOT, I think it was,on the TV and the referee was pushed about. The manager also went onto the pitch and pushed the referee's assistant. All because a throw in was given when they wanted a free kick! 

Thank you for your time. 
- You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment