Wednesday 3 June 2020

Interview With Greg Hill: 2009

The inaugural, and so far only, Super Cup tournament was held in December, 2009. Chonburi, Bangkok Glass, Muang Thong United and BEC Tero, the season's top four, competed in the mini-league, at the Supachalasai National Stadium in Bangkok, between the 22nd and the 27th December. Here is a pre competition interview I did with Greg Hill, a fan of our opening day opponents, Muang Thong United. 


How have you been keeping yourself busy during the break? 
G - My work and family life keeps me busy, yet still I've been like a kid waiting for Christmas. I'm really looking forward to next season but I still have a long wait ahead! 

What has your club been up to during the break? 
G - Signing a lot of new players and making plans for the stadium and the general running of the club. The new pitch has been ordered, too. 

On a scale of 1-10, how much are you looking forward to the Super Cup? (10 being the highest) 
G - Honestly, I'd have to say "three". It's a neutral stadium which tends to sap the atmosphere and it's against teams we know we'll see during the regular season anyway. 

How seriously do you think your club will be taking the tournament? 
G - Seriously, because Robert is very professional and I'm sure he knows that this is a chance to blood some of the new signings and also send a message to the teams challenging us for the title next season. 

Will you be going to any of the games? 
G- I might go to one if the demand for tickets is not over the top. 

What sort of crowds do you think it will attract? 
G - Very hard to say but with the recent surge in interest in Thai footie, I'd guess over ten thousand for each game. 

Will the Super Cup be any sort of guide to what we can expect next season? 
G- I think it will, yes. 

Who do you think will win the Super Cup? 
G - I think we will. 

Would you like to see the Super Cup become an annual event? 
G - No, not in its current form. I find it a dull prospect. 

What do you think about the format? Would you change it? 
G - Yes, I'd make it a six team event with two groups of three. The winner of each group plays in the final. 

Would you like to see the Super Cup expanded or other non Thai teams invited? 
G - I really want to see foreign teams or lower league teams involved. That adds to the interest in my opinion. 

What do you think about the choice of venue? 
G - Understandable as it can hold a higher capacity but it doesn't help the atmosphere. 

Where would you like it to be held? 
G - At the grounds of the clubs themselves unless they have a particularly low capacity. 

Any other thoughts about the Super Cup? 
G - I'm sorry to sound negative but I feel this is simply the FAT trying to cash in on the recent interest. Perhaps they should take more inspiration from Europe, where teams normally go on a foreign tour in pre-season or play against lower league or foreign opposition at their own stadium. It provides more of a spark for fans and players alike. Still, at least we get to see our teams in action again and I will be cheering Muangthong all the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment