Tuesday 9 June 2020

Interview With Lionel Lewis: 2012

My interview with Home Utd goalkeeper, Lionel Lewis, ahead of our AFC Cup tie on 21st March, 2012.


Q - Please could you give us a bit of information about your background and how you became a professional footballer?
A - I played for Geylang United youth team in 1997 and after that played in the S-League in 2001. After Geylang, I played for the Young Lions from 2002 until 2004, when  I moved to Home United.

Q - Why did you want to become a goalkeeper?
A - I started playing football in my primary school days as a defender. During my secondary school days, I played as a goalkeeper because one of my coaches, Mr Robert Lim, said I had the physical attributes for the position. From then on, I played as a goalkeeper.

Q - Who were your goalkeeping heroes when you first started?
A - Peter Schmeichel was one of my goalkeeping heroes. I loved the way he commanded his defence and all the saves he produced for Manchester United, although I don't support Manchester United.

Q - Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
A - The biggest influence in my career has to be my family. They’ve supported me from day one until now. When I was doing well, they were there. And even when I wasn't doing very well they were always there for me.

Q - Which coaches have helped you most over the course of your career?
A - Without my coach Robert Lim, I wouldn’t have had a football career. He was the one who spotted me and gave me a chance. There are a lot of coaches who have helped me along the way like, Jang Jung, Steve Darby, Raddy Avramovic and so many more.

Q - What have been your personal career highlights?
A - Winning the Tiger Cup for my country, Singapore and also being nominated for Asian Footballer of the Year have to be the highlights of my career.

Q - Who has been the best player you have played with and against?
A - Over the years, I have played with and against so many great players. But I would have to say my former captain Subramani from Home United is the best. His reading of the game helped me a lot during my younger days as a goalkeeper.

Q - Would you like to play outside Singapore and have you ever had offers to move abroad?
A -I would love to ply my trade outside of Singapore but the only offers I've received have been from Indonesia. I will leave the S-League only if the offer is from outside this region. The S-League is where I started to play my football and I hope that more great players will come and play in the league.

Q - What are your remaining personal ambitions?
A - I want to win more trophies for my club, especially the S-League title, before I call it a day.

Q - How satisfied are you with Home United's start to the 2012 season?
A - Home United had a slow start to the 2012 season, but we are slowing picking up. We had a great start in the AFC Cup and hope to progress to the next round.

Q - What do you know about Chonburi FC?
A - I know Chonburi have a very good team and I know some of their players. For me every game is a difficult game and I want to do my best and hopefully win the game.

Q – Thanks Lionel. I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer my questions.
A – No problem at all. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment