Wednesday 11 November 2020

Interview With Adrian Kwong: 2016

My interview with Adrian Kwong, a Chonburi fan from Hong Kong
8th April, 2016
 

Q - Please can you introduce yourself
My name is Adrian, and I am a 23 year old fan from Hong Kong.  I am a student working towards a criminology degree.
 
Q - How long have you been supporting Chonburi?
As I have just recently branched out into Thai football, I have followed Chonburi for a little under 5 months, if memory serves.
 
Q - What first got you interested in Chonburi FC?
Chonburi FC reminded me of my local team very much – the organization, the passion of the fans, their rise from the lower divisions to become a mainstay at the top – and I began to feel a similar bond with Chonburi.
 
Q - How did your friends react when you told them you'd started supporting Chonburi?
Unfortunately, most of my friends are not into football; those that are, watch games for the big names and the big teams – Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc.  They don’t know what they’re missing out on – every big team starts small, and I believe Chonburi are on such a journey.
 
Q - What have you done to spread the word about Chonburi in Hong Kong?
With every football fan I talk to, I try to steer the conversation towards the international stage; that football can exist outside the big leagues on TV.  I try to bring awareness to other fans, wherever I may meet them, that smaller, less glamorous leagues bring a different level of excitement and bonding, and bring a stronger sense of camaraderie among fans.  I do hope that one day, Hong Kong would start showing games from Thailand as frequently as the big leagues out there.
 
Q - Who are your favourite Chonburi players?
As with all the teams I follow, I hesitate to pick players out from the team because without a team, there is no football.  If I had to pick a player, it would be striker Mo (Pipob On-Mo).  Industrious, low center of gravity, an all round striker – Mo reminds me a little of Sergio Aguero.
 
Q - What are your impressions of the coach, Therdsak Chaiman?
Admittedly, I don't know enough about him, except a tidbit on his playing history.
 
Q - How easy is it to follow Chonburi from Hong Kong?
Not easy at all; usually I am restricted to highlights on Youtube.  When I was in Thailand for a holiday,  I tried to catch the games on local TV.
 
Q - What are your hopes and expectations for Chonburi this season?
Going with the results from the last few seasons, I would hope Chonburi could fight for a top three finish; the happiest scenario would be a repeat of 2007; in football, anything can happen.  Whatever comes at the end of the season, though, I wish sincerely that the players and fans enjoy their time on the pitch together.
 
Q - Have you been to watch Chonburi play?
One day, I hope to have the honour, and to experience the football atmosphere in Thailand.
 
Q - What did you know about Thai football before you started following Chonburi?
Nearly nothing; I do know that football is beautiful, no matter where it’s played, and I wanted to see all the football there is to see out there.
 
Q - What do you most like about Thai football?
I love the intensity from the fans from what little I have been able to see during televised games and highlights; in Hong Kong, it’s very hard to find fans who see a team as more than the scoreboard, or to find fans who would stick with “their team” no matter the score.  In other words, it’s great to see fans that put their heart and soul into a team that represents them, and that their love goes beyond just winning games or trophies.  The banners, the flags, the chants and the jumping...it’s mesmerizing.
 
Q - Would you like to send a message to the Chonburi management, players and fans?
Enjoy the game before the results, and continue to be a big, beautiful family of Sharks.
 
Q - Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Good luck on the next PLT game against Buriram!

No comments:

Post a Comment