Saturday 14 November 2020

NEW!! Playing Away by Jamie Pinder: 2020

"You can change your partner, your religion, your politics, but never never can you change your football team." Eric Cantona

With this in mind, I asked a group of Thai football fans who they would choose should they ever consider the unthinkable. Here, Jamie Pinder explains who he would leave his favourites for . . . or not


Name: Jamie Pinder
Current team: Buriram Utd

It's supposed to be an unwritten rule of being a fan; you can't just change your team because you want a better one, so I'm trying to think of a scenario where I'd change. It could be one of two things. Firstly, I get in a row with the owners at Buriram United and get banned for life, so I need to go elsewhere for my weekly fix or, my team goes bust and doesn't exist anymore. The first one is more likely but there could be a third scenario where I exchange my wife for a different model and relocate to somewhere such as Udon or Lampang, just for example. 

Changing allegiance in Thailand would be easier than in the UK and, under certain circumstances, if could happen, so I'm looking at where I could live and linking that to their football team. Udon would certainly work, with the team currently in mid-table, Division 2, but their kit is really, really orange and I'm not sure I could do that.

Lampang are also in the second tier, in fact one place below Udon, with a bright green kit! Now I'm now saying that you should follow a team just because of their kit but .... the reason I chose to follow The Arsenal was based largely on the lovely yellow kit they wore in the 1971 FA Cup Final. 

Nope, the only way I'm going to change is by upsetting the owners and getting asked to leave so I'd probably leave Buriram and relocate and find a new wife and a team with a likeable color kit and an airport and nightlife and............ sod it.....I'm staying where I am. I've got just about everything here, It would be too expensive to change all my matching shoes. (But I do like going out in Udon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment