Wednesday 1 January 2020

Interview With Alan Gibson: 2012

In early 2012, Chonburi announced a link up with Japanese club, Vissel Kobe. Shortly afterwards, I interviewed JLeague Soccer magazine editor, Alan Gibson to get his thoughts on the deal...and much more.


Q - Please can you introduce yourself.
A - My name is Alan Gibson. I was born in Birmingham, England, 50 years ago! I now live in Japan and have been here for close to 23 years.

Q - Why did you originally move to Japan?
A - I came to Japan in November 1988, after spending about six years traveling as a DJ, working for major hotels around the world. I did, in fact, spend seven months in 1983 at the Oriental Hotel, Bangkok and have also worked at other hotels in Bangkok, as well as Koh Samui, Phuket and Hua Hin! I still go to Thailand at least once a year, often more.

Q - Which teams do you support?
A - Long story... I believe in hometown support, and grew up watching both Aston Villa and Birmingham City! On finally settling in Kobe, the closest team (before the J.League began) was Matsushita Denki - who became Gamba Osaka in 1991. Vissel Kobe were formed in 1995, and that's when I added another hometown team to my list. But, having been in the business of Japanese football journalism for many years, one really should try to not support a team! It's hard sometimes, but I try to remain neutral these days!

Q - How long have you been involved with JSoccer magazine?
A - I started the magazine in Spring 2011, and our first issue came out in Simmer last year. Issue 4 is out June 15th, this week as I write. Our 1st Anniversary.

Q - Why did you start the magazine and website?
A - I started the web site in the mid-90s as a way to spread the word of Japanese football overseas, in English, but also as a way to show my non-Japanese friends living in Japan that the J.League was worth watching. It's always been a non-profit (in fact, loss-making) venture, of course, and the magazine even more so. So far! I am hoping that, with sponsors, advertisers and increasing sales that I can get to breaking even in another year or so... but it's definitely a labour of love right now!

Q - How long does it take to put an edition of the magazine together?
A - Thankfully it's not weekly because it really does seem to take weeks to get it all sorted once the articles are in and, of course, that takes weeks also, so the quarterly issues right now are just right for me!


Q - How do you recruit contributors?
A - I have been inundated with offers of people wanting to share my passion, spread the word on their various web sites, or just enthuse about a particular player or team and I sift through the offers and make some decisions on what to put in the magazine. Twitter is the medium that matters when it comes to finding someone to do that particular something!

Q - Which has been your favourite article?
A - That's a tough one. I did enjoy interviewing Takashi Usami for Issue 1, and getting out of him the fact that it was pretty much accepted that he was going to Bayern Munich, even though nothing had been confirmed even weeks after my interview. The magazine came out, with the interview just as it was widely announced so I was happy to get a "scoop" even though it was just timing, really. How can a quarterly magazine get a scoop!! Otherwise, it's the chance to publish some pictures that I have taken over 20 years that I am enjoying. Issue 3 had some exclusive pictures of Japan in Malaysia in 1997 the day before they won through the the 1998 World Cup. Nakata, Nanami, Lopes, Jo and more - never before seen photos, unless you'd been to my home and seen them on the walls!

Q - Which of your articles has called the most controversy and why?
A - I wouldn't say there's been any controversy yet, although I have some ideas in mind that might put the cat among the pigeons eventually. I really would like to see Japanese TV improve their coverage and analyse, even replay, some controversial calls in the games - instead of glossing them over - and it is an actual request from the J.League to TV directors to not highlight wrong decisions by referees, which I feel needs changing! not to upset referees, but for all to learn from mistakes. Please, let7s not go as far as UK newspapers who persecute the officials, but let's look at the mistakes, and the good decisions, highlight them, discuss them, learn from them.

Q - Please can you tell us what you know about Vissel Kobe?
A - I have followed Vissel Kobe since their formation and the English pages of their web site are mine - basic, but better than nothing! I hope we can add more features eventually, if I have the time, that is! They have been a perennial almost team, rarely challenging for an honour but often showing promise that is snuffed out for various reasons. This season the squad shows great potential and the appointment of the vastly experienced Akira Nishino as manager shows the ambition of owner Hiroshi Mikitani. I believe that Nishino can put together a new, young team around some of this squad and challenge for honours in 2013 2014....

Q - How is the club perceived by the press?
A - I don't believe that the foreign press have Vissel even on their radar, while the Japanese press often gloss them over - mentioning their results as a single line after others have taken the glory. Having said that, Vissel have done nothing, yet, to warrant any big press, but they do tend to get stuck between the Osaka clubs and Sanfrecce Hiroshima whenever the TV or press deign to have a "west Japan Round-Up".

Q - How has the link up with Chonburi been received and reported by the press?
A - There was little in the local press or magazines except for us Kobe-based journalists who have tried to out the story out. Of course, Vissel have sent out press releases, too, but they tend to get overlooked if an Urawa Reds player gets a broken finger, or a Marinos player is seen on the town with a member of AKB48! OK, I exaggerate, but Vissel Kobe are definitely not front page news unless there is absolutely nothing else to report!


Q - What do you know about Thai football?
A - I played a lot in the 80s and watched a few games. I was also there, if I remember correctly when both Newcastle and Liverpool visited way back when. Pictures of Kevin Keegan on the sides of buildings is something you don't forget! I saw Piyapong play and I also got to play in local leagues myself in the 80s.

Q - Have you ever watched football in Thailand?
A - Whenever I get the chance to spend some time in Bangkok I always go along to the National Stadium and watch whoever is playing. It is university teams, but any football is good for me!

Q - What are your experiences of football in Thailand?
A - My best footballing memory is a personal one. I used to play almost every night in Lumphini Park around 5.30 pm until darkness and there were always about 40 players hanging around and rotating. I had no idea who was on which team whenever I got on the field as there were no fixed colours or anything like that. I managed to convince them to go shirts v. skins (no shirts) whenever I was there, so I knew who was on my team. I left after my initial contract was up at Oriental Hotel. The next year I returned to work at another hotel and I went to the park as soon as I could. I was overwhelmed to see them playing shirts v. skins a year after I had left! That made me feel like I had influenced the Thai game in my own small way!!

Q - How is Thai football - league & national team - perceived by the average Japanese fans and journalists?
A - I don't think the average Japanese fan OR journalist knows anything about Thai football and  hope that this agreement with Vissel Kobe changes that. I'd like to see a Thai player given a chance in J.League, so perhaps a loan period at Vissel is the way to start. I know that there are plenty of Japanese players in Thailand and I am hoping, also, that some younger Vissel players, who are not yet getting regular football can play at Chonburi and benefit both teams, and the players!

Q - Do you think more Japanese fans will show an interest in Thai football as a result of this link up?
A -I believe so, especially if a player that is known makes the move the Thailand, or a Thai player can get some time in Japan. I was pleasantly surprised when a friend of mine from Gamba Osaka went to play in Thailand. Now Masao Kiba has returned to Japan, but I see him often and he talks fondly of his time there, and now has his own company that plans to find the next players to play in J.League from the likes of Thailand and Vietnam.

Q - What do you know about Chonburi FC?
A - Since I found out about the agreement I have tried to keep in touch and have made them my Thai team to follow.... it's good to see them challenging for honours and I hope (more) success will come.


Q - How do you think the link up will benefit both clubs?
A - Exchange of ideas, Vissel players getting the chance to play in Thailand - helping the club and the players - coaching exchanges, and, hopefully a Chonburi player making it to Vissel Kobe soon. I look forward to a game between the two teams -  maybe I'll be asked to referee it!

Q - Do you think more clubs will forge similar relationships if this link up is successful?
A - I think clubs are looking for this kind of thing all the time. Albirex Niigata have their Singapore offshoot, for example and, even in Europe, the bigger clubs forge partnerships with smaller clubs and it benefits all in the end.

Q - Do you have any plans to cover the Vissel Kobe/Chonburi story in your magazine?
A - Of course, a full page was dedicated to the story in issue 4, with some nice pictures. I resisted the urge to put my own picture in there, even though I had a nice chat with the president and other staff of Chonburi and got photos holding the shirts, greeting the president, etc. Issue 4 also has welcome pictures of new Vissel coach Akira Nishino for the fans.

Q - How much cooperation did you get from the clubs over the article?
A - Vissel invited me to the press conference of course, and allowed me to meet the president and other staff of Chonburi. They were amazed at my Thai language ability (as was I!)... and I was accomodated with pictures from the Bangkok press conference by the club and look forward to dong another article on them soon.

Q - What would be your "fantasy" link up between a Japanese club and a foreign club?
A - Interesting question...


Q - Do you have any current plans to travel to Thailand to watch any matches?
A - I hope to be in Bangkok in July or August for a short time and would make the trip to Chonburi then, I have also already bought the tickets for a December trip to Bangkok and Koh Samui, and will be checking in advance to see what games I might be able to see!

Q - Whenever there's a refereeing controversy in Thailand, the TPL threaten to bring in Japanese officials to oversee matches. Just how good are Japanese refs and do you think they'd relish the challenge of officiating TPL matches?
A - I actually feel that Japanese referees are better overseas, where they do not have the pressure of "Japanese" expectation on their shoulders. The culture of Japan, in all walks of life, does not allow flexibility, or encourage personal decision-making (but more a group/company decision, for example) so split second decision making in front of 1000s is a big change for an average Japanese. I have seen Japanese referee in World Cups and they seem much more relaxed, so i think Thailand would be a walk in the sunshine for them!

Q - What do you think the average Japanese fan would think to know that their refs are highly coveted by the Thai authorities?
A - To be totally honest, I do not think - party because of the fact I hinted at earlier, that refereeing decisions are never talked about - good or bad - that the average Japanese fan has any real opinion on the referees here, believe it or not, but they would be proud of their "own" to know that they are coveted by others.





No comments:

Post a Comment