Tuesday 14 July 2020

Interview With Matt Holland: 2013

INTERVIEW WITH MATT HOLLAND
28th September, 2013


Q - Please can you start by telling us alittle bit about your background.
A - I was born in the Rhondda Valley, South Wales, UK and I am 25 years old.I started playing football aged 11 and joined Swansea City FC as a 12 year old. I have represented County and Regional National Squads at ages 13,14 and 15. I joined The New Saints (Welsh Premier League) at the age of 16.I then re-joined Swansea City FC at 17 and finished playing at 19

Q - What is your current role?
A - Currently I am Head of Youth Development at Buriram United.  This caters for U12 - U21 years old. However, I am now focusing on the U12 - U14 age bracket with a mid to long term strategy plan to develop elite professionals within the right environment at Buriram United.

Q - How did you get into coaching?
A - I began coaching after finishing playing.  A friend within my local village asked me to give some help and assistance to him with the U11 team. Within 6 months I was running this club. I did this for 18 months.

Q -Which coaches have inspired you the most and why?
A - Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourhino. I really began to follow the game during Arsenal’s Double Winning season in 97 / 98, when they had Vieira, Petit, Bergkamp etc. What impresses me most about Wenger is his attention to detail, coming from relatively nothing to transforming the mentality in England to pay closer attention to Sport Science, Match Preparation and Tactical Philosophies. I’ve been fortunate to meet him on three occasions.

Jose Mourinho impressed me when he first went to Chelsea and my admiration has carried on from there. I was also fortunate to attend a dinner with him in Kuala Lumpur last year.
More recently I have been impressed with Brendan Rodgers, after seeing his work at Swansea City FC and then on the behind the scenes documentary “Being: Liverpool”. I feel he also has a unique way and the way he speaks is inspiring yet calm and soothing.

Q - What other coaching roles have you had before your current one?
A - While coaching at the local club I mentioned earlier, I was also employed at Cardiff City FC on a full time basis.I spent 4 years there within the Academy and Community departments which included 1 year in Malaysia under owner Tan Sri Vincent Tan, with a National Football Development Program. During this time I was Head Coach of the Malaysian Yamaha ASEAN Cup squad finishing 3rd and I also spent 3 weeks with the senior team during the visits of Arsenal FC and Manchester City FC.

I also was working as a the Conditioning Coach for a semi-professional club in the Welsh League with my senior manager at Cardiff City FC, ex - player Scott Young.I then left for the US - which was always intended to be for the short term - and then unfortunately a deal fell through to go to the Premier League in Bahrain so I ended up in Australia.

I am currently finishing my A License in Australia. In addition, I did a Football Development Officer job within Football West and Football Federation Australia.I was also coaching in the Skill Acquisition Program and in the State Premier League of WA, one division below the A League, of which I am sure I was the youngest in the country at that level.

Q - How did you end up at Buriram Utd?
A - I was offered the position via a contact and agent I had worked with previously.

Q - How long have you been a Buriram Utd?
A - I joined on July 1st, 2013.

Q - What did you know about Buriram Utd before you came
A -Not a lot really. I had tried to look at getting into the TPL in some capacity about 2 years ago but the language barrier (with speculative emails) made it difficult and connections were hard to come by.Mika Chunounsee (Suphanburi) is someone I know from home and also John Brown, who spent time with one of the Rayong clubs, so I always looked just to check their progress really.

Q - What do you think of the set up at Buriram Utd?
A - I have been fortunate enough to always work in a professional environment as both a player and coach so to look at the facilities at Buriram United I think is a fantastic development.The academy needs much development but the game in Thailand also needs that.  All I can say is that the senior management is extremely supportive of me in my role.

Q - How does it compare with what you have had before?
A - It is difficult because Europe is so far ahead of the rest of the world in terms of professionalism, mentality and elite performance so any comparison to Thailand is an unrealistic one.Looking at the potential here though to develop top quality players there is most definitely a platform to create the very best with what I/we have at our disposal.



Q - How do you select the youngsters who come to Buriram Utd?
A - I haven’t actually selected any so far, it was done previously. I have recruited five U12 players this week to come in on a training observation week (I don’t like to use the word trial as with it comes un-needed pressure). We will be looking at releasing players in the next fortnight to hone in on smaller squads and create an even more challenging environment.

Q -How many youngsters do you work with?
A - There are currently 130+ players

Q - What age groups do you work with?
A - My first task was to win the Regional Zone in the Coke Cup with the U19. I did that, and now I manage the U12 - U14 group as mentioned previously. At the moment I am working predominantly with the U14 group.

Q - Do you work with boys and girls?
A - The only girls that I observe are those who attend the Yamaha Clinics on a participation basis.

Q - How often do you run coaching sessions?
A - The Academy train full time as all players are housed at Buriram United Camp. There are specific schedules that are catered for and the U12 - U14 are now involved in a specific one that I have designed.

Q - How do you cope with the language barrier?
A - It’s exactly that, just coping.  I learned Bahasa Malaya within 3 months but Thai is a whole new ball game with a different alphabet / symbolic reading to the way it is spoken.I have begun to pick up specific coaching words which are assisting with delivery.  These words have been given to the players to learn in English so we meet almost 50/50.

Q - Are you expected to employ the same coaching methods at youth level that are used throughout the rest of the club?
A - I wouldn’t say coaching methods, as every coach is different and whether they admit it or not each coach will feel they have the capability to do better. If they don’t, they shouldn’t be in the game and that is at all levels - not just relating to Buriram United.

I have written my own philosophy and opus on the way I like to play, the environment, training programs, recovery, nutrition and hydration management, which is all used within a tactical framework to achieve results. This is always adaptive to each role and dependant on what the Head Coach wants.  With the younger age groups it is fairly free to experiment, which it should be.  Obviously with the U18, it is common sense to mirror the first team if possible, dependant on personnel.

Q - What aspects of your job do you particularly enjoy?
A - I wouldn’t really call it a job. I wake up every day in an environment that very few can say they are in full time and I am grateful for that. I try to enjoy as much as I can, you have the days when sessions don’t go to plan, players don’t perform and results don’t go your way but with that there is much to be taken from and learned, which develops my education of the game.

Q - How does coaching at Buriram Utd compare to your previous jobs?
A - Every job is different and a challenge. I have been fortunate to coach in five countries and on four continents, and they have all had their moments. So, Initially I like to observe for a period of time and decipher what is working / not working and what will work and won’t work, or needs to be adapted slightly.

Q - Do you think Buriram Utd have the foundations to go on to become a major force in Asian football?
A - Any club with solid financial backing can! At Buriram United we are fortunate to have this. In situations when the environment is a vital component, our facilities are at top level. Fortunately the club have been successful in the past two seasons so it is an upward development. Hopefully that will continue.


Q - Do you get the opportunity to work with the first team squad?
A - Under Scott Cooper, I was involved in a small capacity, mainly observation.  I was again fortunate to be within the match day environment, changing room etc listening and watching.  This was great for me because as I answered above, I want to learn and develop my education but at the same time you make comparisons to yourself and what you feel you would or could do, within your internal thinking obviously.I got to work with Ohm (Teerathon) and Suchao while the first team travelled to a particular game away and they were respectively recovering from injury and suspended.It was fantastic to work with them and they were very professional and seemed happy enough within the session.

Q - Which first team players have impressed you and why?
A - Osmar, Carmelo, Suchao and Ohm. Their quality stands out above the rest in all honesty and they have something which can change a game in their respective positions.

Q - How do the players - youth & first team - apply themselves in training?
A - Regardless of the standard compared to Europe, the current and previous coach are of European heritage so as you can imagine, it is as professional as it should be so there is no room for the players to be anything but.The youth team players are on a very fast learning curve in understanding how to train professionally and efficiently. There is a specific group that spent time in Engand with Leicester City FC so they are aware and help with relaying this mentality to those who haven’t had that experience.

Q - What are your impressions of the first team coaches?
A - I got on particularly well with both Scott Cooper and Darren Read.  We have many mutual contacts or know of people on the circuit back in England so it was expected. I liked the way that Scott and Darren worked together and as much as it was a learning curve for me they were also respectful, valued my work and were interested in my opinions.With Alejandro and Jorge now there is a slight language barrier so I haven’t been able to converse as I would like and usually do, but all the same they have been polite and respectful.

Q - What do you think of the standard in the TPL?
A - I think the standard is certainly something that Thailand can be proud of, in comparison to other leagues in Asia, not including the J League and K League. However there is masses of room for improvement. There aren’t many teams whom I have seen that keep possession well or show a true likeness to a game plan from an attacking point of view.  There is a heavy reliance on individual players with that little bit more quality, whereas I think in 12-18 months time, as the game develops, that won’t be enough.

Q - Which TPL teams have impressed you and why?
A - I’d be biased in saying Buriram United but their defensive qualities are there for all to see.  Watching BEC Tero at Thunder Castle in recent weeks was also enjoyable and although they lost 2-0, I felt they passed the ball particularly well and looked dangerous.  Anyone who follows the league will know of Cleiton Silva but also Chanathip is some player.  For a player of his physical presence, or lack of it rather, he is technically superb and causes problems regardless of the physical challenges he will face in games.

Q - Have you had the opportunity to see Chonburi play?
A - No unfortunately, although I have heard about the philosophy of the club. Even though their budget is smaller than other clubs, they try to do things the right way. And within the Academy, they have a playing style which is strictly followed; something I am a believer in.

Q - What are you expecting from Sunday's match?
A - Being at Thunder Castle I would expect an entertaining game, especially as I’ve heard that Chonburi have been playing well of late.  With home advantage, and on the back of a solid result against Muangthong United in the cup on Wednesday, I would like to think we could push on and keep putting the points on the board.

Q - Would you care to make a score prediction?
A - Difficult to say in this league!

Q - Which trophies do you think Buriram Utd will end up with?
A - I think we’ll win the TPL, with the margin as it is now and having played the bigger clubs after this weekend, it should be cemented.As for the FA Cup, I saw Bangkok Glass FC demolish Police in the other semi so it won’t be easy, with Attaphol maybe wanting to prove something against his old club. The beauty of the cups, it’s like back home, you can’t call them. Obviously I am hoping for a deserved treble though.

Q – Thanks, Matt.
A – You’re welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment