Sunday 5 July 2020

Interview With Stephen Romary: 2018

My interview with Muang Thong Utd Media Liaison Officer, Stephen Romary, from September, 2018



Q - Please can you introduce yourself
Steve Romary, 55. UK born though I grew up in Canada. I am a "media liaison officer" with SCG Muangthong United.

Q - How long have you been doing this job and how did you get it?
This is my fourth year. Essentially, as a fan, I approached management and convinced them they need someone to create English content for expats in Thailand, but also overseas fans.  They were already thinking about this, so right time/right place.

Q - What does your job involve?
Basically anything English. That can be translating or creating content in English for the club’s Twitter, Facebook, Instagram accounts and English website, but also whatever happens to be needed on a particular day.  For instance, when we worked with the clubs from Japan in the loan agreements with Theerathon, Chanathip, and Teerasil, I put in some long hours.

Over the last few days I worked with the academy coaches on some new video analysis software, wrote the article for the Kirin Matchday Magazine, provided translation for Facebook posts about the visit to Laos, and helped some fans from Hong Kong find tickets for the match with Chonburi.

Q - Where does most of your correspondence come from and what kind of enquiries do you get from fans overseas?
We get enquiries from all over, but Asia has the most traffic: Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore, in particular.  People in Europe and the U.K. make up the second group. Enquiries from overseas are often about getting a hold of match tickets, or wanting to purchase club merchandise (that's another part of my job - helping to send team jerseys to fans outside of Thailand). 

Q - What has been the strangest or funniest enquiry you have ever had?
Everyday we get messages from players wanting a trial, usually professionals without an agent hoping for a break.  One enquiry, however, was from a 7 year old who really wanted to play for us. Stranger, however, was a request for a clothing item used by a certain player. I usually don't reply to such things.

Q - How much cooperation do you get from the club?
The cooperation from everyone at the club is excellent. We are all  dedicated to advancing the quality of football, not just within the club, but for Thailand.  Players, for instance, listen to fans much more than people realize, and they understand that a club cannot move forward without its fan club, so players are always willing to give an interview when I need it.

Q - And how much autonomy do you get?
I have a lot of freedom to propose and pursue new ideas.  The video analysis software is one example. That was my project.  I've also brought local school groups and charity organizations to games and helped to build community. There's not as much autonomy when it comes to the official media content. I have to stay quite close to what is published by our Thai media people, and where I'd like to throw in my own opinions on what went wrong or right, I have to keep quiet. The Sharks destroyed us in the League Cup (ouch!), but I had to try and find the silver lining on that game and stay away from saying anything to make the club look bad.

Q - What is your favourite part of the job?
It has to be meeting people from around the world who all share a love of football, whether it's fans, players, team officials, referees, other media,  and so on.

Q - Please can you describe a typical working day?
Today, for instance, I translated fb posts about the ASEAN TOUR as the first team are in Laos for a friendly match. I also had to edit the matchday magazine article I wrote as the player profile switched from Sarach Yooyen to Adisak Kraisorn.  I sent and received messages to some of the Thai media officers, made some edits on the English website, sent out Tweets (I try to send three per day), dealt with our ticketing company, and sent messages to some of the academy coaching staff about an upcoming meeting.  Oh, and I answered some questions for Chonburi FC!

Q - And what do you do on match days?
I arrive at the stadium three hours before kickoff. There may be a stadium tour I have to do, and after that I'll make sure tickets are ready to be picked up by fans flying in from overseas. At the Chonburi match on Wednesday we'll have a group from Hong Kong, as well as a couple from the U.K..  The team bus will arrive about 1.5 hours before kickoff, so I'll grab some photos for uploading to Instagram and Twitter, and a quote or two from a player and probably the head coach.

About an hour before kickoff I will have chosen the images and finished the posting. Then I'll head outside from the press room to find some foreign fans to photograph and interview. If there's time I'll post these as well, but it may have to wait until after the match. About 45 minutes before kickoff the pre-game warmup begins. I'll grab more photos, especially in the tunnel or just stepping out of the dressing room; views fans don't usually get to see.  Fifteen minutes before kick off, I'll move to the press tribune and prepare for live updates. Usually I'll post key match events to Twitter, while also preparing the match report.

After the match I'll scoot down to the field for some photos and a quote, and then into the press room to get the coach's comments. Finally, I'll finish writing the match report that is posted alongside the Thai version.  I also come up with 3-5 headline ideas (in English) for the Thai writers to use. I'm hoping to be able to use "SHARK FOR DINNER!!" on Wednesday, but we'll see.

Q - Why do you think this is an important role and what would you say to other clubs to encourage them to employ someone in a similar position?
It is a cliche, but football is the world's game, and English, (rightly or wrongly) is the world's language. The benefits to the club can be seen in the fan base and gaining a media presence on an international scale. It is easy now for international media to make contact with us, and we've appeared in media outlets all over the world.  Our club market goes way beyond Thai citizens to include expats living here, tourists visiting the country, and football fans in the region and worldwide. There are also benefits within the organization itself, from the academy system to the first team and upper management. 

Q - What future plans do you have for the development of your role?
I've already begun to take a bigger role with the academy. Recent changes to FA rules allows for foreign players to join and compete with academy teams, and I've helped youngsters with trials.  The Thai FA is working hard to boost the development of youth talent, and they have a vision of World Cup qualification in 2022. SCG Muangthong United shares this vision.

Q - What kind of match are you expecting on Wednesday?
Payback time!  Although historically we've gotten the better of Chonburi, this season is different (did you know we sent our best four players to develop overseas?).  No one likes to lose, and to lose badly like we did in the League Cup, stings. I expect it to be a much tighter match than last time, with plenty of attack down the flanks by both teams.

Q - Would you care to make a score prediction?
I'm expecting 3-2, with the winner coming for SCG Muangthong United in the last 10 minutes.

Q - Is there anything else you'd like to add?
It's great to see the work you're doing and helping to develop a community of foreign fans in Thailand!

No comments:

Post a Comment