Sunday 5 July 2020

The List: 2018

At the start of the 2018 season I set myself a target of thirty things that I wanted to do over the course of the year. Here's how I got on...

The List 2018: Thirty Things I Must Do This Season



THE LIST
When I was growing up, it was easy being a football supporter. You'd turn up at the ground, buy a programme, pay at the turnstiles, take your place on the terraces with your mates andwatch the match. You'd have a pie and a cup of Bovril at half time and then trudge home at the final whistle to fish and chips and a mug of tea. Simple.

However, in the modern age, there are so many more distractions at the stadium (especially in Thailand, with its burgeoning domestic football scene). The whole match going experience has changed. It has become an "event" and the fans are photographed and filmed as much as - if not more than - the action taking place on the pitch.

Grounds are surrounded by a riot of colour and noise (as opposed to just a riot - commonplace in the 70s and 80s) and a festival like atmosphere prevails. It's not always been to my taste.

So, with a new season just around the corner,  I have produced my annual list of thirty things that I will endeavour to do this year. Some are retro and will fill me with a nice warm glow, others are contemporary, stuff that I've never felt the urge to do before, but am now willing to try and I'll also be revisiting a few old favourites.

Over the course of 2018, I will be keeping you up to date with my progress (or otherwise).

To Do
Write and record a Chonburi FC tribute song
Hand out flowers to Newin Chidchob's personal security guards
Have my photo taken with an opposition coach/manager
Produce a website related unofficial Chonburi FC t-shirt
Add English commentary to a video of match highlights
Take a photo of my dog on the Chonburi pitch
Draw a Chonburi FC cartoon strip
Recreate an iconic lp sleeve using Chonburi FC imagery

Done
22. Take someone who doesn't like football to a match
Achieved 7/10/18


Even though she used to go to watch Chonburi regularly, my wife hates football (Insert own joke here). For her, the appeal was the craic. The chance to meet up with friends, eat, drink and be merry. The action on the pitch rarely had any interest for her.

So, over the years, as the old fans and friends drifted away and the club banned us from eating and drinking inside the ground, the appeal of a day out at the match waned. She'd occasionally accompany me on an overnight away trip - mainly for the break - but going for the football wasn't enough.

However, as this was the last match of the season, she had a day off and I had a spare ticket (Thanks, Clarence), I managed to persuade her to come along.

Initially, things were going well. We met up with the usual crowd. We ate, drank and made merry - we also discussed the demise of the club - but then the time came to go inside. Reluctantly, she made her way to her seat and sat down to enjoy the "entertainment". I could sense that she wasn't really looking forward to the next couple of hours.

And, sure enough, within a few minutes, she had disappeared. When she returned a short while later, she did seem a little happier.

"Where have you been?" I asked, already knowing what the answer would be.

"I went to get something to eat," came the expected reply.

She was to repeat this action a couple more times during the first half, and had free reign at the food stalls during the break, before managing to stay in one place for the duration of the second. She was either full or couldn't be bothered traipsing up and down the steps again.

At the end of the match, I asked her for her thoughts.

"It was boring. Nowhere near as much fun as it used to be. It used to be a laugh, but it isn't now."

"Anything else to add?" I enquired.

"Yes. There were too many bloody mosquitoes!"


21. Go to an away match travelling exclusively on public transport
 Achieved 3/10/18



As I was already in Bangkok, this was quite straightforward, but also very enjoyable.

I started off by taking a motorbike taxi across town during the rush hour. I'm not sure how many red lights we had to stop for, but it was a lot. At least it gave me plenty of time to take in sights and sounds of the city, as people on their way home from work mingled with those setting off on a night out.

All in all, the five mile journey took just over half an hour, which meant I missed the first twenty minutes or so. I realised later what a blessing this was and wished the ride could have taken longer!
Following the match, and a heated discussion with some of the home fans about the merits, or otherwise, of Bruce Forsyth and Bob Monkhouse, Port fan, Dom, offered to walk me to the nearest MRT (underground/subway) station. It was only a short stroll away so we were there in no time. We would have been quicker, but my guide had to make an unscheduled pit stop.

On arrival at the eerily deserted Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre station, we bought our tickets (THB25) for our journeys, which would take us in opposite directions. After posing for the accompanying photo (and few hundred others!), I bid my companion farewell and boarded my train.
A short while later, I arrived at my destination, hailed another motorbike taxi and made the short final leg of my expedition, arriving back at my starting point roughly five hours after setting off. Football aside, it had been a great night.

With thanks to Dom


20. Get a Chonburi player’s autograph
Achieved 3/10/18


The last person I can remember asking for an autograph is Altered Images singer, and star of one of the greatest films ever made, 'Gregory's Girl', Clare Grogan. This was in 1982, on the night Aston Villa won the European Cup.

And, as I didn't want to spoil what I consider to be a proud boast, I sent my friend, Val, to get Bajram Nebihi's signature, when we saw him sitting in with the away fans at PAT Stadium last Wednesday.
Thankfully, Val is a good mate and was happy to oblige. She also asked me if I wanted her to take his photo as well - I didn't! - so she queued (queued!) behind all the other supporters - who did all want photos - to ask him to scribble in the back of my notebook - which he did quite happily. He also, helpfully, added his shirt number (20).

In return for the sacrifice she'd made, I bought her a beer at half time, when we also discussed other autographs we'd collected.

Her most impressive one was an Italian TV chef, she met on a train in the Lake District, and whose name she couldn't remember. Mine (not counting the aforemention chanteuse/actor) was a toss up between Jack Charlton (at a petrol station on Merseyside) and Malcolm Nash (the bowler hit for six sixes by Gary Sobers).


19. Produce an old skool photocopied Chonburi fanzine
Achieved 29/9/18


I had a lot of fun putting this together and I really enjoyed the whole process. It was so nice to do everything old skool again. A real throwback to the good old days, before the instant gratification of the internet, and a reminder of my youth – and beyond!

The first fanzine I ever produced, using my mum’s typewriter and some carbon paper, was called “Irritate” and it was dedicated to Punk Rock. It featured a few singles reviews, a report on a Clash concert and a completely made up interview with the Sex Pistols. There was one edition and three copies (the biggest amount possible using the aforementioned copying method!). It was 1977 and I was 13.

Since then, I’ve been responsible, or partly responsible, for various other football and music publications of varying quality. The most recent being “Sniffin’ Somtam (And Other Thai Football Habits)”, which saw the light of day in 2009. However, it failed to catch the imagination of the match going public, even though Thai football was going through an unprecedented boom period at the time. Indeed, the reaction from most of the foreigners we approached when the mag made its debut on that fateful night before a Thailand international at Rajamangala, was bordering on hostile.
Thankfully, the response to “Screaming From Beneath the Waves” - a title nicked (in true fanzine fashion) from an Echo and the Bunnymen lyric – has been fantastic and I got a real buzz from selling it at the ground last Saturday.

I’ve already had requests – and offers of articles – for a second edition. So watch this space!
Thanks to everyone who contributed and all of you who have bought or ordered a copy.

"Screaming From Beneath the Waves"
A Chonburi FC Fanzine
THB50 (plus p&p)
From nuichonburi@gmail.com or at the stadium on match days.


18. Watch a league or cup match that doesn't involve Chonburi
Achieved 26/9/18


I had intended going to last Wednesday’s League Cup semi final between Nakorn Ratchasima and Chiang Rai Utd, but work got in the way! However, I had no such problems yesterday. I had made sure of that.

As I was already in Bangkok, I jumped on a motorbike taxi and we weaved our way through the rush hour traffic. My driver (Rider? Pilot?) was a Buriram Utd “fan” – although he was surprised to learn that they actually had a match about ten miles up the road – so we passed the journey by chatting about the respective fortunes of our clubs. Needless to say, I didn’t have the last laugh, and he came out on top in that discussion.

On arrival at the stadium, I was surprised to see how quiet it was. Even though it was only about twenty minutes to kick off, there was hardly anybody around. I made a quick check to see if I’d come on the right day – I had – and then found my way to the ticket table. As there was no neutral section, I flipped a coin and bought a THB120 ticket for the Ratchaburi end, although, I felt slightly uncomfortable with this, as they’d knocked us out in the previous round. But, hey ho!

After a quick beer and a couple of sausages, I went inside to soak up the atmosphere. What a disappointment. For such a “big” match the crowd was incredibly subdued. The usual drummer was doing his bit, but it was all falling rather flat. There did seem to be more noise coming from the part of the ground away to our left, but even that didn’t rise above a slight murmur – at least that’s how it sounded from where I was sitting.

The match itself was, for the most part, pretty dull. Chiang Rai Utd dominated from and looked the better of two very average teams. The Dragons offered very little as an attacking threat, but defended heroically when they had to.

Things only came to life in the 70th minute when, totally against the run of play, Ratchaburi took the lead, with a goal that I missed because I was downstairs buying a drink. This really opened things up (The goal, not my drink) and the game got quite exciting – even for someone as non-committed as me – and brought the sparse crowd to something approaching life.

The inevitable happened shortly before the final whistle, when Chiang Rai Utd equalized, to send proceedings into extra time. Sadly (I think!), I was unable to stay for the added half an hour so made my way to the main road to look for a taxi.

It had been a strange experience for me. Maybe if the match had been more entertaining, I would have enjoyed myself more (I did enjoy the final twenty minutes of regulation time), but I just couldn’t get into it. Football is such a partisan sport that you need to be backing, or disliking, one of the teams and I really couldn’t spark up any enthusiasm or animosity for either of them last night. Maybe I was also thinking of what could have been…


17. Go on a Chonburi FC sticker rampage
Started 5/6/18



Admittedly it's been more of a stroll than a rampage, but I have been posting Chonburi FC stickers in various places over the course of my travels this year.


16. Score a goal on an opposition's pitch
Achieved 29/7/18


Even though we arrived at the stadium three hours before kick off on Saturday, there were still too many people around for us to risk trotting out onto the pitch. However, we had no such trouble the following morning.

Refreshed after a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast in the company of a few dozen other Chonburi fans (the latter, not the former) at a local hotel, we returned to the ground early on Sunday. This time - and perhaps not surprisingly - the place was deserted. Thankfully it was also unlocked.
After parking the car in the VIP spot, me and my accomplice, marched confidently towards the hallowed turf of the Khao Plong Stadium (I now regret not entering via the tunnel), clutching the ball we had found lying around outside. This was a real stroke of luck, as I had forgotten to bring one and only had a rattan Takraw ball in my boot. Sometimes, the gods are smiling down on you.

We spent a few minutes setting up and working out how we could get the best shot of my shot. I had a couple of practise efforts - so my photographer could test the light, or some such thing - and then it was time for action.

The previous evening, we'd sat frustrated in this very arena for an hour and a half, as 22 professional footballers failed to put the ball in the net once - and probably wouldn't have managed it if they'd played all night. Therefore, it was with a great sense of satisfaction that I hit the onion bag half a dozen times in the space of about three minutes and proved how easy it is. If only the scouts had been watching. Or the strikers. They might have learnt something.

Full time score: Chainat 0-6 Chonburi (Farrington 90+1, 90+2, 90+2, 90+3, 90+4, 90+4)

With thanks to Tim


15. Make a new banner and take it to a match
Achieved 14/7/18



I'd been waiting all season for inspiration for the new banner and it eventually came in the shape of our recently arrived goalscoring sensation, Matheus Alves. The big Brazilian has already etched his name into Chonburi folklore by scoring a hat trick against Muang Thong Utd, but 9 goals in 6 matches suggests that he's not just a flash in the pan. Hopefully, he can go on to become one of the all time club greats.

I created my art on Friday afternoon - after locking the dogs in the kitchen so they wouldn't ruin it. It's amazing what you can do with an old bed sheet and a can of spray paint. I'm the first to admit that this is a bad pun, but it still makes me laugh and, believe me, it is better than the alternatives. Also, I bet you can't get the song out of your head now!

On arrival at Ratchaburi’s lovely stadium, we posed for a couple of photographs outside the away end. However, before we were allowed to take it inside, I had to unfurl it again in front of the security guards so they could photograph it and get approval from someone on the other end of a mobile phone. Thankfully, the censors allowed it (one of my other ideas might not have passed such scrutiny!) and we were waved in. I'm just relieved I didn't have to explain it to them. Where would I have started?!

Luckily, there was still some space on the railing, near the corner flag, for me to hang it and there it stayed for the duration of the match. It was clearly visible around the ground (Bigger is better! - A little tip there for any prospective banner makers) and I enjoyed a shiver of pride when the great man himself came over to celebrate in front of it, after putting us one up. A lovely moment and a clear endorsement of my craft.


14. Have a traditional English summer picnic before a match
Achieved 11/7/18



Menu
Hard boiled eggs
Sausage rolls
Pork pies
Ham and cheese sandwiches
Sour Cream & Onion Pringles
BBQ Doritos
S&P Butter Cake
Sprite
Beer

Weather
Overcast, cool and raining (perfect)

The original plan was to have this on the grass, but sadly (appropriately) the wet weather put paid to that. Thankfully, the rain didn't dampen our spirits and we were able to enjoy our pre match picnic under cover in the sala - much to the amusement and bemusement of the smattering of Muang Thong Utd fans who were also there taking shelter.

Unfortuntely, I couldn't find a red and white gingham tablecloth - so a spotty one had to do - and I forgot the cheese, pickles and crackers, but otherwise everything went to plan. Even the local stray dogs behaved themselves. It also brought us luck - a 5-1 win - leading to requests for me to prepare such a feast before every match. Now there's a thought...

Thanks to Tim, Matt, Jan, Kevin and Matthew for joining in the fun.


13. Cycle to a match
Achieved 4/7/18



When my mate, Tim, a keen triathlete, announced that he was planning to cycle up from Pattaya to the midweek cup tie against Uttaradit, I jumped at the chance to join him. This was one of my favourite item on last year's List and I was keen to do it all over again.

We arranged to meet at 3:30pm in a little coffee shop near to Robinson's in my home town of SriRacha. When I arrived at the agreed time, Tim was already there, enjoying a well earned banana smoothie. He looked remarkably fresh for someone who had just ridden 15 miles in searing heat and been for a run earlier in the day. The man is a machine!

After our refreshments, I started, and he continued, the journey to Chonburi Stadium. As I pointed out last year, the stretch of Sukhumvit Road between SriRacha and Chonburi isn't the most picturesque in the country, but it is, for the most part, flat. Therefore, we made good time and were soon stopping for our only pit stop - at a local petrol station - not far from our destination.

We bought a couple of drinks, something to eat, then sat and enjoyed our snack as we watched the world go by. After about half an hour, we were back on the road for the final leg of our journey.

We arrived at the ground just after 5:00pm - a good two hours before kick off - and immediately bought the first of a few welcome beers. It had been an enjoyable afternoon and I'm sure that we'll be doing this again soon.

Special thanks to Clare for the lift home.
 

12. Watch a televised match in bed
Achieved 16/6/18


I'm not usually in bed at 7 o'clock on a Saturday night, but the World Cup is already playing havoc with my body clock. And, besides, I'd had such a busy day. Housework doesn't do itself, you know.
And so it came to pass, that a little after 6:55pm on the 16th of July, 2018, I donned my pyjamas (a Chonburi blue), climbed beneath the sheets with my mug of tea and plate of Marmite on toast and switched on the set. Just in time for kick off.

I must admit, I'd really been looking forward to this. There's something extremely comforting about watching a match in this way and I could always drop off if things got too boring - mind you, I've often thought about doing that in the stands! Thankfully, there was enough happening on screen to keep me awake for the next couple of hours. The only disappointment was that it wasn't raining outside - I'm totally with The Wiggles on that one.

For the record, the toast didn't last beyond the opening salvoes, the tea was topped up at regular intervals (thanks to Mrs F) and I scared one of the cats - who was enjoying a nap by my feet - when Ciro scored the late winner. Also, I had to get up to watch the second half of Argentina v Iceland and the following game between Peru and Denmark. Well, you can have too much of a good thing.


11. Buy a pair of an opposition team's shorts
Achieved 10/6/18



This proved a lot more difficult than I anticipated. It appears that most clubs don't stock branded shorts or, if they do, they sell out very quickly. I've tried at every away match I've been to this season, but the closest I came to finding any before last Sunday, was at Bangkok Utd - who had "training" shorts on sale in their stadium based shops.

Therefore, I was extremely relieved, and not a little excited, to discover a whole rack of the things when I entered the Navy store at the weekend. Not only were the shorts in plentiful supply, but they also came in four - count 'em! - colours: white, lime green, purple, and yellow. My next task was to find a pair that fitted me.

I rather hoped that there would be an XL in the purple, but sadly it came down to a straight choice between the yellow and the lime green. After much deliberation, I plumped for the former, mainly because I'd never owned a pair of yellow shorts before - I'd donned lime green when I played for a local Thai team a few years ago. And rather fetching they looked too.

I haven't worn my new purchase yet. They'll probably get an outing on a bike ride or trip to the beach, once my anger has subsided at our poor performance in Sattahip. I'll keep you posted.


10. Have an article posted on another website
Achieved 14/5/18

My mate Alan, over at JSoccer, recently asked me for some information about two of the three Thai players - Teerasil Dangda and Teerathon Bunmathan - who have moved to the J League this season.
Luckily for me, friend of the site, and Muang Thong Utd fan, Grant Aitken was on hand to answer some of my questions and contribute towards a short piece for Alan's magazine.

You can read the article in full HERE

With thanks to Alan and Grant


9. Smuggle a pie and cup of Bovril into Chonburi Stadium
Achieved 29/4/18


At a well run, civilised and welcoming club, I wouldn't need to do this. However, we're talking about Chonburi here. Somewhere that has turned alienating its own fans into an art form.

The ridiculous food and drink ban - introduced in 2009 - after a spot of bother against PEA, rumbles on and the rather arrogant attitude of the senior management appears to suggest it will not be lifted soon. Is there any real need for it to still be in place. No, is the simple answer.

We can visit other grounds up and down the country without any problems and partake of liquid refreshment (including beer at some places!!) and a bite to eat, whilst enjoying/enduring the team's performance on the pitch. But we can't do it at home. Why? Because "they" say so!

However - if I'm being honest - smuggling stuff in is a breeze. The sixteen year old girls employed as security at the stadium aren't really that bothered and any pre match or half time search is nothing more that a cursory pat on the pocket and glance in the bag. Why should they care?

In spite of the ease by which I managed to get my contraband into the main stand, I'm still not going to reveal how I did it. You never know, it might become a regular occurence.

I ate the minced beef and onion pie (delicious) and drank the Bovril (nostalgic) during the first half while they were still warm. It really took me back to the late sixties/early seventies and my first real memories of going to football. Not even the upper echelons of Chonburi FC can take this pleasure away from me.


8. Play the Chonburi Drinking Game during a match
Achieved 31/3/18


Chonburi Drinking Game rules
You must take a drink of alcohol every time:

Chanin drops the ball
Chanin kicks the ball straight into touch
Chonlatit gets caught out of position or skinned by a forward
Kroerkrit misplaces a pass
Gyeong-Min wins a header
CiroAlves goes down "injured"
Marclei fails to control the ball with his 1st touch
We have a shot on target
We put the ball out of play when someone is "injured"
We have a player booked
We concede a goal
There's a foul throw that's missed by the officials
There's a close up of Newin Chidchob on TV
Diogo brandishes an imaginary yellow card
The players surround the ref

Well, this was fun. I did try to keep a record of each incident, but it became impossible! However, from memory, the most drinks were taken courtesy of Kroerkrit's misplaced passes, Santos failing to control the ball, Chonlatit getting caught out of position and close ups of old Chiddy Chobby.
Also from memory, I don't think we saw Ciro going down "injured", Chanin dropping the ball and the players surrounding the ref. We also had to wait until the 49th minute before Diogo brandished an imaginary yellow, after he collapsed in a heap following a soft tackle (I know this because I Tweeted about it!).

For the record, I got through nearly three bottles of Federbrau - I felt it wise to give the Chang a miss when drinking at such speed! - and had a couple of extra mouthfuls at times I wasn't supposed to - Kroerkrit celebrating after scoring and when Ciro headed off the line.

All in all, I really enjoyed it, although it was tough keeping up, especially in the later stages. I also downed another bottle at full time to drown my sorrows after the injury time winner. Which was understandable, in the circumstances.


7. Run five laps of the fitness park before a home match
Achieved 28/3/18


Anyone who's been to Chonburi Stadium will be aware of the lovely park that nestles behind the away end. It's a great facility for the locals and on any given night, is full of picnicking families, mingling with the walkers, joggers and more serious runners wending the track. It's a heartwarming sight and one I have become accustomed to over the years I've been attending games at the ground.

Watching these energetic types is as much a part of my pre match routine as sitting with my mates eating, drinking and putting the world to rights. However, even though I admire these hardy souls, I've never once been tempted to join them. . . until now. Therefore, prior to last Wednesday's home fixture with Ratchaburi, I forewent the beer, changed into my sports gear, warmed up and set about tackling five laps of the circuit.

Now, I'd be the first to admit that I'm not as fit as I used to be, but I was determined to complete the course as quickly as I could - the old competitive instinct is still there! This was to be no leisurely evening stroll. So, after walking the first few hundred metres, I broke into a gentle trot. I kept this up for the next couple of minutes and then reverted to walking pace.

I maintained this throughout the whole 3,500 metres, extending the running period each time. And, do you know what? I felt great at the end of it. I also enjoyed an overwhelming sense of achievement, which I dwelt upon whilst drinking my post exercise/pre match beer. Well, old habits die hard!

You can see the before and after photos above


6. Take a horn to a match
Achieved 18/3/18


Just over twelve months ago, I treated myself to a new bike. It's a beautiful example of a velocipede; lightweight, lovely to look at and a joy to ride. I also bought a few accessories; handlebar extensions, a state of the art pump and a rack so I can transport it to far flung places on the back of my car - well, it beats riding there! I was also given a horn.

Now, I'm pretty sure that there was more than a touch of irony about this gift. The person who gave it to me was smiling when he handed it over and made some remark about me needing to stay safe on Thailand's notoriously dangerous roads. I thanked him and tossed it in my boot. No way was that thing going anywhere near my gorgeous new cycle.

Fast forward a few months and I came across the aforementioned item whilst having a clear out. I was this close (I'm holding my forefinger and thumb about a centrmetre apart) to throwing it out, when I had a change of heart.

"I could take that to the match," I thought.

So, last Sunday, the 'Ironic Horn' - now embellished by a Chonburi FC streamer - accompanied me to Police Tero, to compete for attention with the drums and the non stop singing. It stood no chance. The sound it emits is more akin to one of those cheap doggy toys you can buy at the local market. It is not pleasant, but also, thankfully, not very loud.

I did manage to give it a few squeezes - including a rapid barrage after we scored - but sadly, I don't think anyone other than the two people who were unlucky enough to be sitting behind me, heard it.

Oh well, at least I tried!


5. Drink wine at a match
Achieved 10/3/18


I really enjoyed doing this at Navy last season so I couldn't wait to repeat it this year. And at the home of the Sharks.

Therefore, it was with great excitement and anticipation, that I bought a nice bottle of Australian red from my local Tops on Saturday morning and dug out my corkscrew and a couple of glasses.
Initially, the plan was to drink 'el vino' before the match, but someone had already purchased a few cans of beer so the more cultured beverage had to wait until half time. And boy, did I need it by then! The VAR/red card incident had got my blood boiling, therefore I was glad to have something to calm me down.

So, as the others stayed on the ale, and raged against the machine, I snook off with my friend, Val to enjoy something a little more refined and raise the level of conversation. We sipped a couple of glasses whilst reminiscing about previous Glyndebourne Festivals and trips to the Henley Regatta. (Actually we chatted about gigs we'd been to in Leeds and how many times we'd each seen the Wedding Present - plug, plug).

Once the fifteen minute break was over, I returned to my seat refreshed, relaxed and ready for anything that the second half could throw at me. Or so I thought...


4. Buy the cheapest thing from an opposition club's shop
Achieved 4/3/18


I had intended buying a pair of shorts here, but sadly they didn't have any in stock - just hundreds of replica shirts. Therefore, I went with this option, and saved myself a bit of money.

After scouring Suphanburi's two club shops (one inside and one outside), I settled on a pair of THB99 white Warrix football socks - which will come in useful when I next do any sporting activity - and two small club crest stickers, retailing at THB50. I'm not sure what do with the stickers yet, but I'm sure I'll find a use for them somewhere down the line.

Watch this space...


3. Watch a match while draped in a Chonburi flag
Achieved 24/2/18


In amongst all the doom and gloom, there is the shining light that is The List. A way of bringing joy and hope to many, in these difficult times. Therefore, it is with great pleasure that I present the latest addition to the canon.

Last Saturday, I sat and watched a 'spirited' performance from the boys in blue, whilst draped in a homemade Chonburi flag. These used to be given out by spirited entrepreneurs at away games, particularly when we had a large following. This little beauty dates back to a trip to Chainat in 2015 - a 5-1 win.

It isn't as big as I remember it, but it did the trick. It even helped to keep my hair relatively dry during a short burst of rain during the first half. I was also compared to Batman by a couple of people - which was nice. Sadly, it didn't bring about a change in fortunes, which is quite lucky for me, as I would have felt compelled to wear it every week if we'd have won!


2. Go to a match dressed entirely in Chonburi FC merchandise
Achieved 16/2/18


A good root around in my cupboards and drawers produced this little ensemble (click photo to enlarge), which I wore for the home match against Navy and will soon be seen on the catwalks in all the major world fashion centres. And not an overpriced swoosh item in sight!

Cap: From our championship winning season in 2007. One of the first official items the club sold.
Sleep mask: Purchased along with a matching neck pillow a couple of years ago. Pretty random football club merch, huh?
nb: I wish I'd kept it on for the full ninety minutes!

T-Shirt: A coaching staff top given to me by one of the players during 2002, my first season watching the team. No fancy club shops in those days.

Metal badge: A fan produced item from the 2009 campaign. A great DIY effort.

Wrist band: Another fan produced item from the same year as the badge. They were all the rage at the time.

Sweat band: Also from 2009, during our short lived association with Kool, when companies were falling over themselves to get a piece of the Chonburi pie. (I do own other stuff from this period!)

Shorts: Good quality FBT merchandise from 2008. Ten years of regular wear and still going strong.

Shoes: Model's own


1. Take a photo of the floodlights at every ground I visit
Started 19/1/18


(a) 19/1/18 IPE Stadium, Chonburi
Chang Chonburi Invitation
Chonburi v Sukhothai

(b) 4/3/18 Suphanburi Stadium, Suphanburi
T1
Suphanburi v Chonburi

(c) 10/3/18 Chonburi Stadium, Chonburi
T1
Chonburi v Bangkok Glass

(d) 18/3/18  Boonyachinda Stadium, Lak Si, Bangkok
T1
Police Tero v Chonburi

(e) 11/4/18 Nong Prue Stadium, Nong Prue
T1
Pattaya Utd v Chonburi

(f) 25/4/18 Thupatemi stadium, Pathum Thani
T1
Air Force v Chonburi

(g) 6/5/18 Thammasat Stadium, Pathum Thani
T1
Bangkok Utd v Chonburi

(h) 10/6/18 Sattahip Navy Stadium, Sattahip
T1
Navy v Chonburi

(i) 1/7/18 Leo Stadium, Pathum Thani
T1
Bangkok Glass v Chonburi

(j) 14/7/18 Mitr Phol Stadium, Ratchaburi
T1
Ratchaburi v Chonburi

(k) 28/7/18 Khao Plong Stadium, Chainat
T1
Chainat v Chonburi

(l) 26/9/18 Supachalasai Stadium, Bangkok
FA Cup
Chiang Rai Utd v Ratchaburi

(m) 3/10/18 PAT Stadium, Klong Toey, Bangkok
T1
Port v Chonburi

No comments:

Post a Comment