Friday 3 January 2020

Interview With Irfan Bachdim: 2014

When Alan Gibson, from JSoccer magazine, interviewed former Chonburi midfielder, Irfan Bachdim, following his move to Ventforet Kofu in January, 2014, he gave me the opportunity to ask him a few questions. The results are below:


Please tell us how you came to arrive at Ventforet Kofu...
The Overseas Marketing Director at Chonburi - Atsuo Ogura - asked me if I'd like to follow up some interest from Japanese clubs and go for a trial. I, of course, replied, that I would indeed like to do that, so I was put in touch with a J.League representative, Kei Koyama and here I am. That's how it came to be, from a small beginning.

How supportive were Chonburi in helping you move to Japan?
Chonburi was very supportive to my move. They knew how much I really wanted this. So I'm thankful to Chonburi that they let me go.

How do you think Japan will compare to Thailand - and Indonesian football - in techniques, or training?
With respect to Indonesia and Thailand, everything in Japan is just so much more professional. From the management to the players. And those players, of course, have great technique, as well as endurance and stamina.

You didn’t have it so good in Thailand. What was the highlight of your stay in Chonburi?
I can't really say that I had any highlights at Chonburi. It was not a good season for the team or myself. A season with no trophies!

So, what went wrong at Chonburi?
I think I can mostly blame myself for the difficult times at Chonburi. I didn't enjoy the training sessions. Mentally, for some reason, I was not happy. But of course I have to get over that, and I have learned from the experience.

Which Chonburi players most impressed you during training and on matchdays?
In my opinion the best player was Thiago Cunha. I was always impressed by the way he played and how easily he could score goals.

Do you have a message for the Chonburi fans?
I want to thank all staff and players at Chonburi FC, but I especially want to thank the supporters.They were great and I will never forget them!

No comments:

Post a Comment