Sunday 23 February 2020

Interview With Russ John: 2015

My interview with Nakhon Ratchasima fan, Russ John, from 14th November, 2015


Please can you introduce yourself
Hi, I’m Russ John - supporter of Wolves and Nahkon Ratchasima Mazda FC

How would you sum up Nakhon Ratchasima’s season so far?
Fantastic “Over the moon”. I really expected a relegation battle. I think, however, that our current eight place is down to a very poor pool of teams in the current league.

What were your expectations at the start of the season? 
Bottom 5 – maybe just avoiding the drop

What are your expectations for the rest of the season?
In terms of points our eighth place looks pretty well nailed on – no chance of catching Ratchaburi.

Do you think the fact that, yet again, the TPL seems to be a two horse race will have a negative effect on the league as a whole? 
Not really. Buriram Utd and Muang Thong Utd are two strong teams whom I admire. Other teams need to strive and improve their practices in order to match the best. I have stated many times, that other teams must see what these successful teams are doing and copy best practice. I certainly hope that some of Buriram Utd’s magic rubs off on The Swatcats!!

Your crowds this season have been very impressive, how much of this is down to the novelty factor of being in the TPL?
Not at all – we were getting 8,000 for most Division 1 games. I just think there is a very strong fanbase here. Don’t forget we’re nowhere near the top of the league and still pull 18,000 average attendances. If we were bottom I guess gates would drop off – but we don’t intend to ever be near the bottom!!!!

What does he club need to do to ensure that these crowds will be maintained?
I think it is self fulfilling. Korat is a big city, Nahkon Ratchasima is a big province. No actually winning probably is the biggest puller for fans. Since I started watching the Swatcats with Paul Hewitt 5 years ago, I can count on the fingers of one hand the home defeats that I have witnessed (I have six fingers on each hand!!!). The stadium needs to be kept tidy and the effective marketing needs to continue. I also think that the club needs to show real ambition, for example signing quality players. Progress needs to be shown – increasingly difficult when you are already in eighth place. I think the future prospects are fantastic.

Which other TPL teams have impressed you this season and why?
Bangkok United played very well at the 80th Anniversary Stadium. Muang Thong Utd were excellent too.  Both teams have players who have pace, are quick passing and slick on the break. I’m afraid most other teams have not been very impressive at all. Below the top 4-5 there are some pretty weak sides this year.

Which other TPL players have impressed you the most this season and why?
Your boy Thiago Cunha  has scored some goals, although I have to say some of his other antics are distressing (sorry Sharks fans). Our boy Noah Chivuta I think is the best player in the league – he never stops. Chanathip is undoubtedly a great player (wasted at Tero in my opinion – he should be in a top team (like us!!!) where his skills can be shown off in front of big crowds). Heberty obviously is a great goalscorer.

What have been your impressions of the TPL as a whole this season? 
Weak with the exception of the top two. Some televised games have been exciting with good atmosphere, others have been painful to watch. The league has 3 tiers and there is a big gap between each tier. The bottom 5 or 6 are pretty poor teams.

What is the best thing about being a Nakhon Ratchasima supporter?
Undoubtedly the atmosphere inside the ground and being part of a large fanbase– I couldn’t bear to be one of 10 men and their dogs as seen at many Thai grounds

And the worst? 
Nothing – I am pretty positive about what is going on at the club.

How close to you feel to your club? 
Hmmmm so, so – it’s not like Nakhon Ratchasima is the team of my birthplace.

If you could swap one Nakhon Ratchasima player for one Chonburi player, who would you get rid of, bring in and why? 
I would like to keep all of our players, thanks. But I would fancy Dos Santos to shore things up at the back.

If you could make three changes at Nakhon Ratchasima what would they be?
Wear black shorts!!!
Get a nice scoreboard/big screen
Build another road out of the parking area - post match, it is chaos.

What are your impressions of your coach?
Well I run contrary to a lot of people’s opinions on this. To me, a coach who wins a league comfortably and then gets his promoted team up to eighth place deserves a lot of credit. However if his team fails to show progress next season, I too would be asking questions.

If you could give him three pieces of advice, what would they be?
Get a coach to help organize defence
Play Adiyeah more – or get rid of him!!
Think big and have high aspirations for the club

What are your thoughts on Chonburi’s form this season?
Hmmm – patchy I think, but the position in the table doesn’t lie. I personally think that the team’s psyche is flawed. Things tend to get a bit over emotive at times. No team in the league has drawn more games than the Sharks and you don’t win anything drawing 12 out of 28 games. If someone did some research on how many draws were gained from a winning position and how many from a losing position it would be a real pointer to the cause. Whenever I have seen the team on TV they always look worried about losing a goal when in a winning position.

Which of our players are you most wary of and why? 
Cunha is always dangerous

Which of your players should we be most wary of and why?
Noah Chivuta is often a game winner – if he plays well the team generally wins. Lindemann is always a threat with long range shots and set pieces and then of course – watch out “lock up yer daughters” Lee Tuck is around!!!

What kind of welcome can the visiting fans expect from the locals on Sunday night?
Usually there is great respect shown to visiting fans – I expect the same on Sunday.

Anything else you’d like to add?
Hope for a great game. A draw would suit me just fine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment